Water damaged PSU

Hi guys,

Today i had a pretty major leak in my house and it totally drenched my whole desk and some water got inside my computer too, most of which went through the top fan and straight down into my PSU since the fan is facing up. I gave everything a few hours to dry and went over it with a hairdryer just to make sure then turned it on. Everything appears to be working fine but does anyone think it's possible that it will have any long term effects? ie. Break after a week or be any less reliable/efficient or whatever

I'm just a bit worried about things like metal particles or any other crap in the water because it seemed pretty dirty, it was almost green.

I ask this because i'm a bit annoyed about this and want to claim some money from my landlord but my conscience isn't going to let me do that if there is no damage.

Thank you :)

popatim

Titan
A: leave the pc on for several days straight, turn off sleep and or hibernate, (you can turn off speakers & monitors); that should resolve any lingering water issues

B: Your landlord isn't responsible for any damage to your personal property caused by the leak. That would be covered by renters insurance should you decide to get some now that you see what all you have at risk of fully loosing.

Well after leaving it for a few hours near a radiator then giving it a quick once over with a hairdryer i have tried it again and the screen is going green and making popping noises and im getting artifacts when the graphics card heats up a bit.

I am gutted to hear that i can't claim anything back because it really seems like the landlord's responsibility since he 'fixed' the roof and said it was safe then it ruined my things. Not saying youre wrong though, ive looked around online and it seems like that is the case.

Sorry to turn this thread into legal advice but does anyone have any idea of what i can do next? (if anything) :(

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

I Will recommended you leaving it outside for few hours on the sun so it get burned up :D... JK, Sun's the best and free source to use to dry water all up...

festerovic

Distinguished
If it was me, I would leave the PC off, and wide open, with all the parts removed, for a week. Wouldnt want my gear to short out, make popping noises, or turn my screen green.

Also, cool Opeth avatar. They rock.

Haha sorry to sound condescending but i'm in heavy rain, why do you think the roof was leaking? :p

P.S. I <3 Opeth

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

LOL, I Tho it was a water leak from the pipes(Water pipe inside wall not computer) LOL...

MysticMiner

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011

Your legal rights depend on the circumstances and the location.

You should be able to find a local lawyer who will either give you the advice gratis, or for a low cost.

MysticMiner is right, sometimes its your homeowners insurance or property owners, if it happens outside of your responsibilities.

Or ask insurance agent how they would act in your case.

Back up your data, it will fail. Non of that stuff is build to handle moister. The connectors will go first usually. No matter how well u dry it. U are lucky, if it goes on at all.

Oxidation is your enemy.

Its like with car, that was flooded.

First everything works, does not even smell like mold and swamp(dealer changed it with brand new seats,carpets...), than electric window wont go back up. Next your headlights are starting to burn bulb couple of times a week. Than your dashboard goes with fuel pump. Than it misfires and u burn injector and kill one of cylinders.

Not all at once. But in few months. Than u find, u got yourself a lemon car.

And with super sensitive PC components is the same.

I wish the guy all the best with it. But water inside electrical system is hard to survive. If water did not go over electric parts. Than it is possibly OK.

BTW, what state this happened.

I hope jmsellars1 will have some luck in this mess.

I'm not in the US, I'm from the UK. It's been a while since this happened and my PSU has been as solid as ever, bit noisy though but I can't really blame that on the water. My TV has been OK too, no more turning green or making popping noises. Woot! My keyboard, mouse and speakers got soaked too and they seem OK so I think I dodged a bullet, I did leave everything to dry for a day then left my PC next to a heater for a few hours so it seems that did the trick. Thanks for the helps guys.