Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

GTX 560 ti or 6950 2gb...

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 7, 2011 1:06:10 PM

I'm looking to upgrade my video card from a old 8800gt Superclocked Edition. The card will be for gaming on a Dell u2410 at 1920 x 1200 while simultaneously watching tv on a second monitor (1650 x 1080). I'm trying to determine if the 2gb of memory would be benificial for this reason or if the higher clocked Gigabyte 560 ti would be the better choice. As far as the 6950 is concerned I'm looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... compared to the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... All help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

More about : gtx 560 6950 2gb

March 7, 2011 4:33:19 PM

Anik8 said:
You can get a gtx 560 card from asus @ $15 cheaper which can give even similar performance with the HD 6950.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This card also runs very cool and less noisy.


The Gigabyte 560 ti I listed is a better performer numbers wise then the Asus. My main question is if the 2gb of memory in the 6950 will better future proof the card.
Score
0
Related resources
a c 107 U Graphics card
March 7, 2011 4:59:37 PM

I say the 6950. You might be able to flash it to a 6970 for one. The extra RAM may help with more memory hungry games as you'd still be devoting some to pushing pixles to the 1680x1050. Even so, current games are unlikely to tax it that much on the count of many of them being game system ports.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2011 5:53:18 PM

jpgarrett83 said:
The Gigabyte 560 ti I listed is a better performer numbers wise then the Asus. My main question is if the 2gb of memory in the 6950 will better future proof the card.

I listed the asus because it was cheaper and I didn't judge it on piece of paper but on benchmarks and in benchmarks it is found to better the msi twin frozer ii OC clocked at 880Mhz,that gigabyte was @900 so very much similar with the msi.
Asus did some voltage and circuit tweaks with the card that allows the card to scale high at only 830Mhz clock rate.You can see the benchmark for yourself.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-560-ti-...
the gigabyte soc here is clocked at 1000Mhz so don't get confused
I chose Aliens vs Predator since it least supports any of the two camps

Anyways extra 2Gb VRAM will help mainly in
1) higher resolutions like 2560x1600 and
2) long draw distance
3) better quality image at 16xQ CSAA
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2011 5:57:16 PM

The direct competitor is the 1gb 6950, so the 2gb would be the best choice imo.

Not to mention you can mod your 6950 to a 6970 with no risk at all because you can always go back. Out of about a dozen cards we have tried this with we have had 100% success rate.
Score
0
a c 274 U Graphics card
March 7, 2011 6:14:29 PM

Anik8 said:
I listed the asus because it was cheaper and I didn't judge it on piece of paper but on benchmarks and in benchmarks it is found to better the msi twin frozer ii OC clocked at 880Mhz,that gigabyte was @900 so very much similar with the msi.
Asus did some voltage and circuit tweaks with the card that allows the card to scale high at only 830Mhz clock rate.You can see the benchmark for yourself.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-560-ti-...
the gigabyte soc here is clocked at 1000Mhz so don't get confused
I chose Aliens vs Predator since it least supports any of the two camps

Anyways extra 2Gb VRAM will help mainly in
1) higher resolutions like 2560x1600 and
2) long draw distance
3) better quality image at 16xQ CSAA

AvP was developed on ATi hardware and is part of the GITG program, so it's more of an ATi title than an Nvidia one. Just saying. :whistle: 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2011 6:16:34 PM

AMD Radeon HD6950-2GB:
Can be unlocked to HD6970 (Direct competitor of GTX570)
Score
0
March 7, 2011 6:33:52 PM

geekapproved said:
The direct competitor is the 1gb 6950, so the 2gb would be the best choice imo.

Not to mention you can mod your 6950 to a 6970 with no risk at all because you can always go back. Out of about a dozen cards we have tried this with we have had 100% success rate.


Yeah, I realize they are not really direct competitors, they are priced very similar now though due to the rebates amd card manufactures are offering. I read a lot this morning where the 560 ti outperformed the 6950 if the 560 was oc'd from factory and the 6950 was left stock. I also read the 6950 can run extremly hot if unlocked and flashed as a 6970, is this not the case?

If I was to go with a 6950 is the Sapphire I listed in my initial post decent or would it be better to spend the extra 15 bucks on the xfx or gigabyte?
Score
0
March 7, 2011 7:47:42 PM

i have a 2gb 6950 flashed to6970
running at 950/1450
all games max better than my gtx480 for sure
load temp max 75 degrees
nothing can beat 6950 at that price...
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 3:36:55 AM

Mousemonkey said:
AvP was developed on ATi hardware and is part of the GITG program, so it's more of an ATi title than an Nvidia one. Just saying. :whistle: 

yeah but not like hawx 2(nv) or just cause 2-opposite results to hawx 2
the sapphire 6950 2gb is not worth choosing against a 560 factory oc
between xfx and gigabyte, xfx cards cost more than performance, gigabyte cards perform better.
Score
0
March 8, 2011 10:59:47 AM

Anik8 said:
yeah but not like hawx 2(nv) or just cause 2-opposite results to hawx 2
the sapphire 6950 2gb is not worth choosing against a 560 factory oc
between xfx and gigabyte, xfx cards cost more than performance, gigabyte cards perform better.


What do you mean by the Sapphire card is not worth choosing against a 560 oc'd? As in the 560 is the clear choice? The speeds are the same on all of the Reference based 6950 cards are they not? Is Sapphire that bad of a brand?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 12:35:20 PM

XFX also offers a lifetime warranty. Sapphire has 2yr warranty. Easy choice for me, especially when I go to resell it, warranty sells fast.
Score
0
March 8, 2011 12:39:51 PM

geekapproved said:
XFX also offers a lifetime warranty. Sapphire has 2yr warranty. Easy choice for me, especially when I go to resell it, warranty sells fast.


Thanks, that definitally does mean something.

This new 560 ti from Gigabyte looks intriguing http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... Also, this review http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten... is really making me question if the 6950 is the better buy, at least if there is no plan to unlock the 6950.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 12:40:58 PM

jpgarrett83 said:
What do you mean by the Sapphire card is not worth choosing against a 560 oc'd? As in the 560 is the clear choice? The speeds are the same on all of the Reference based 6950 cards are they not? Is Sapphire that bad of a brand?

lol not a all, the sapphire 6950 was on stock settings and I was dealing with clock speeds and so by saying "the sapphire card" I simply meant 6950 at stock
similarly gigabyte 560@900Mhz
gigabyte 560 soc@1000Mhz
asus direct cu @830Mhz
and so on.
And still all I can say the asus 560 ti direct cu is the best valued gtx 560 in the market.Its also a Tom's recommendation.
Score
0
March 8, 2011 12:56:40 PM

Anik8 said:
lol not a all, the sapphire 6950 was on stock settings and I was dealing with clock speeds and so by saying "the sapphire card" I simply meant 6950 at stock
similarly gigabyte 560@900Mhz
gigabyte 560 soc@1000Mhz
asus direct cu @830Mhz
and so on.
And still all I can say the asus 560 ti direct cu is the best valued gtx 560 in the market.Its also a Tom's recommendation.


That asus is now $260 with a 10 dollar rebate though which is a PITA. The Gigabyte I linked was not in the reivew and it's oc'd to 950Mhz and also $260.

I appologize but I am still not understanding what you mean about the 6950. Just that a 560 factory OC is a clear winner over a 6950 left at reference speed?
Score
0
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 1:18:33 PM

jpgarrett83 said:
I'm looking to upgrade my video card from a old 8800gt Superclocked Edition. The card will be for gaming on a Dell u2410 at 1920 x 1200 while simultaneously watching tv on a second monitor (1650 x 1080). I'm trying to determine if the 2gb of memory would be benificial for this reason or if the higher clocked Gigabyte 560 ti would be the better choice. As far as the 6950 is concerned I'm looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... compared to the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... All help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Either one is a good choice in a single-card configuration, but if you ever want to go to two cards, nvidia is better about producing drivers supporting their multi-card SLI customers at this time.

Also, something to consider is when you're gaming, unless you're gaming in 'windowed' mode, many games will black out the other monitor even though the game's running on only one. Further, some games don't offer windowed mode.

So whoever's playing the games will have a better time than the TV watcher with that setup.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 1:29:10 PM

Yes that is what I meant and also please note that if Asus can provide a card clocked at 830Mhz which can outperform the msi twin frozer II clocked at 880Mhz then its clear how large headroom(extra 50mhz performance) you will be getting.
Score
0

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 9:19:18 PM
Share
March 8, 2011 10:47:46 PM



I don't know anything about the 5870 although that discount is enticing. I have been out of the video card game for a while and was concentrating my search on the 560 ti and 6950. How does the 5870 hold up against these cards? I know it will be slower, but with a reasonable overclock how does it do?
Score
0
March 9, 2011 11:48:58 AM

Best answer selected by JPGarrett83.
Score
0
a c 274 U Graphics card
March 10, 2011 4:51:25 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!