New photo printer canon i9900 or ip8500 or i960?

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 24, 2005 9:35:43 PM

want to use for digital photos. could care less about the speed or
document printing. it appears that the ip 8500 is the narrow version of
the i9900. i am not sure since i know nothing about photo printers. i
will be printing quite a few 8 x 10 photos. my present hp photosmart
1000 does a good job but the quality is low and it won't do 8 x 10's.
in addition it does not line up the photos on the paper when printing
in spite of the tedious task of setting all margins manually. this is
truly a pain since i am in a photo club and the minimum is 8 x 10. it
has to be right without having to use a razor blade etc to make your
own mats. I hope the canon is easy to use since i am a clutz with
printers. for example there seems to be a big problem with the color
management of photoshop and canon printers. apparently they can clash
so you have to disable one or the other. this is not something i look
forward to. i will probably print 20 or 30
8 x 10's per month. is the i9900 worth the cost? I would hope that the
ip8500 would do just as well for less. let me have your thoughts.thanks
in advance.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 7:35:20 PM

If you want to learn more about higher quality photo printing, which
requires some understanding and use of color management, do yourself a favor
and look at Epson printers.
Canon printers are capable of excellent quality prints but the way color
management is implemented in the drivers makes this difficult to achieve.
In my experience, and I own and use Canon and Epson printers, Epson printer
settings are much easier to configure, and yield much more predictable
results, in an Adobe style color management workflow than Canon printers.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 7:35:21 PM

"bmoag" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> If you want to learn more about higher quality photo printing, which
> requires some understanding and use of color management, do yourself
> a favor and look at Epson printers.
> Canon printers are capable of excellent quality prints but the way
> color management is implemented in the drivers makes this difficult
> to achieve.
> In my experience, and I own and use Canon and Epson printers, Epson
> printer settings are much easier to configure, and yield much more
> predictable results, in an Adobe style color management workflow
> than Canon printers.

I'm having no CM trouble at all with my i9900 ... this guide (large
pdf) helps explain CM settings with PS:
http://www.qualiteitems.com/canon.pdf
February 25, 2005 8:13:43 PM

humblejohn wrote:

> want to use for digital photos. could care less about the speed or
> document printing. it appears that the ip 8500 is the narrow version of
> the i9900. i am not sure since i know nothing about photo printers. i
> will be printing quite a few 8 x 10 photos. my present hp photosmart
> 1000 does a good job but the quality is low and it won't do 8 x 10's.
> in addition it does not line up the photos on the paper when printing
> in spite of the tedious task of setting all margins manually. this is
> truly a pain since i am in a photo club and the minimum is 8 x 10. it
> has to be right without having to use a razor blade etc to make your
> own mats. I hope the canon is easy to use since i am a clutz with
> printers. for example there seems to be a big problem with the color
> management of photoshop and canon printers. apparently they can clash
> so you have to disable one or the other. this is not something i look
> forward to. i will probably print 20 or 30
> 8 x 10's per month. is the i9900 worth the cost? I would hope that the
> ip8500 would do just as well for less. let me have your thoughts.thanks
> in advance.

There's no need to shell out for a wide-carriage printer like the i9900
if you don't need to print anything larger than 8x10 - any standard
printer will do up to letter-size (8.5x11) easily. I just picked up an
iP6000D and love it, especially the ability to print directly from the
card slot with the built-in display for tweaking. If you don't need the
display feature, you can get essentially the same printer in the iP5000
for about $50 less.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 8:13:44 PM

"Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
> humblejohn wrote:
>
>> want to use for digital photos. could care less about the speed or
>> document printing. it appears that the ip 8500 is the narrow version of
>> the i9900. i am not sure since i know nothing about photo printers. i
>> will be printing quite a few 8 x 10 photos. my present hp photosmart
>> 1000 does a good job but the quality is low and it won't do 8 x 10's.
>> in addition it does not line up the photos on the paper when printing
>> in spite of the tedious task of setting all margins manually. this is
>> truly a pain since i am in a photo club and the minimum is 8 x 10. it
>> has to be right without having to use a razor blade etc to make your
>> own mats. I hope the canon is easy to use since i am a clutz with
>> printers. for example there seems to be a big problem with the color
>> management of photoshop and canon printers. apparently they can clash
>> so you have to disable one or the other. this is not something i look
>> forward to. i will probably print 20 or 30
>> 8 x 10's per month. is the i9900 worth the cost? I would hope that the
>> ip8500 would do just as well for less. let me have your thoughts.thanks
>> in advance.
>
> There's no need to shell out for a wide-carriage printer like the i9900 if
> you don't need to print anything larger than 8x10 - any standard printer
> will do up to letter-size (8.5x11) easily. I just picked up an iP6000D
> and love it, especially the ability to print directly from the card slot
> with the built-in display for tweaking. If you don't need the display
> feature, you can get essentially the same printer in the iP5000 for about
> $50 less.

Actually, the 5000 is a 'better' printer and can print at a much higher
resolution.

Tom
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 6:31:19 AM

I am an expert on the Canon Line. The IP4000 is the best value. The
IP5000 prints business documents and graphics substantially better than
the IP4000 but is marginally inferior and slower. The 6000D is slower
yet, the poorest on documents and not as good as either of the other two
on photos. The thing is has going for it are for people who do not want
to use a computer to print photos and want to edit on a tiny LCD screen.

The IP8500 is the flagship of the PIXMA line and has the same print
engine as the i9900 wide carriage printer. The PIXMA does duplex on
documents and has twin paper feeds accommodating paper in the cassette
and photo paper in the autosheet feeder. The person that should buy the
IP8500 is the person who knows they never want larger than an 8x10 and
business printing is important. The problem is you never know when it
comes to size and people change their mind.

The i9900 is a pure photo printer but can also accommodate a small
amount of business printing but does not have the features of the
PIXMA. However, it can go up to 13x19 and is somewhat faster than the
IP8500. It is only about $40 to $50 more on the street.

In your case I would recommend the i9900 based on your requirements.

!