I3 2310m vs CORE 2 duo T6600

Hello, I was just wondering how much faster the i3? Twice as fast?
8 answers Last reply
More about 2310m core t6600
  1. I'd say around 50% faster. The i3 is about 20% faster clock for clock because of the microarchitecture but is 100mhz slower. It also has hyperthreading so would add about another 30%. They are both rated at 35W but the i3 should have better power management. Depending on your uses you may or may not notice a difference in performance. It would help if I knew the rest of the specs and your uses to help you pick what's best for you.
  2. Thanks for responding to my question! I don't know much about computers in detail so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting money.

My current laptop is a two year old Toshiba.

Processor*
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T6500

Operating System*
    Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit)

Graphics Engine*
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M

Memory*
    3GB DDR3 memory

Hard Drive*
    250GB HDD (5400rpm)

Optical Drive*
    DVD-SuperMulti drive (+/-R double layer)

Display Size
    16.0" widescreen

Display Type*
    HD TruBrite LCD Display

Display Resolution
    Supports 720p content, 1366x768 (HD)

The new machine is another Toshiba I spotted at Best Buy for about $400.

* Intel Core™ i3-2310M processor
    Features a 3MB cache and 2.1GHz processor speed.

* 3GB DDR3 memory

* Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support

* 15.6" LED-backlit TFT-LCD high-definition widescreen display
    With 1366 x 768 resolution and TruBrite technology

* 320GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

* Mobile Intel HD graphics
    Feature 64-1317MB shared graphics memory

I use my current machine for general use but also for video encoding like using DVDShrink and TMPGENC. I may want to watch and rip blurays at some point. I know I should be looking at a quad but $400 for an i3 sandy bridge is pretty cheap. I'm also worried that if I get an i7 sandy bridge that it will over heat. If I were to get one, would I need a discrete video card? Wouldn't that make it even hotter?
  3. Going from Intel® Core™ 2 Duo to a 1st generation Intel Core i3 at the same speed should yield a 15% to 20% performance improvement. Going from 1st generation Intel Core i3 to a 2nd generation Intel Core i3 at the same speed may yield 10% to 15% addition improvement. In the end you most likely would see a total improvement of about 30% between these processors. Also the Intel Core i3-2310M should be better on total battery life.

The Intel Core i7s are going to be running hotter but they are designed for a laptop enviroment so they shouldn't be overheating. They will however have a shorter battery life.

Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team
  4. IntelEnthusiast said:
    Going from Intel® Core™ 2 Duo to a 1st generation Intel Core i3 at the same speed should yield a 15% to 20% performance improvement. Going from 1st generation Intel Core i3 to a 2nd generation Intel Core i3 at the same speed may yield 10% to 15% addition improvement. In the end you most likely would see a total improvement of about 30% between these processors. Also the Intel Core i3-2310M should be better on total battery life.

The Intel Core i7s are going to be running hotter but they are designed for a laptop enviroment so they shouldn't be overheating. They will however have a shorter battery life.

Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team

So is it worth it or should i just save up an extra $400 and get an i7 2630qm? I usually get a cheap laptop 2 every years. And if do choose the i7, do I absolutely need a discrete card and what are the disadvantages of not having one for the tasks I mentioned above?
  5. k1114 said:
    I'd say around 50% faster. The i3 is about 20% faster clock for clock because of the microarchitecture but is 100mhz slower. It also has hyperthreading so would add about another 30%. They are both rated at 35W but the i3 should have better power management. Depending on your uses you may or may not notice a difference in performance. It would help if I knew the rest of the specs and your uses to help you pick what's best for you.

Thanks for the info!
  6. Getting the i7 will shorten video encoding time so it's your decision for that. You do not need a discrete card and with your tasks won't really help. A discrete card is mainly for gaming.
  7. Thanks to the both of you! I've decided to get the i7.
  8. Dont forget you can sell your current laptop and recoup quite a bit to put towards the new one.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core