Sign in with
Your question

Purchasing and Installing RAM

Last response: in Components
August 10, 2011 11:53:47 PM

Ok, so ive been thinking of buying some additional RAM for my gaming rig. Im a bit tech savvy, but when it comes to the process of actually installing something into my computer, im not too professional. Well, my question is, when i check the webshops for RAM chips, the pictures always show like, two separate pieces. When i see Tuts on YT, they always have one piece that fits into my motherboard. I.E: http://www.komplett.no/img/p/640/b9819429-21d3-4643-96a... they look so small, compared to the ones in the videos.
August 11, 2011 12:02:36 AM

I don't know what Youtube videos you are seeing, but there are different kinds of memory, which can be found in different shapes and sizes.

If you want to be sure you're getting the right kind, check a site like Crucial.com.

They may even have a specific tutorial for the ram they say you need to order.

August 11, 2011 12:42:21 AM

MysticMiner said:
I don't know what Youtube videos you are seeing, but there are different kinds of memory, which can be found in different shapes and sizes.

If you want to be sure you're getting the right kind, check a site like Crucial.com.

They may even have a specific tutorial for the ram they say you need to order.

Well, the ones in the picture have the same name as the ones i currently have installed, so im thinking maybe they are the same ones. Also, i heard something about having pairs of the same type being better than multiple different ones(the chips you know). You know if theres any truth to that?
Related resources
August 11, 2011 1:32:49 AM

Are you referring to RAM frequency?
August 11, 2011 9:23:10 AM

Engima said:
Are you referring to RAM frequency?

No, im referring to the actual SIZE of the RAM chips, physical size.
August 11, 2011 2:02:06 PM

what motherboard do you have, do you know if you have DDR2 or DDR3? it will be one of those for sure, take one out and read it if you have to.

memory comes in only standard sizes 184pin DDR (ooooold systems) and 240pin DDR2 & DDR3 for newer systems,, and only DDR3 is used in newest of motherboards,, so if you don't know you need to make sure.

physically they may be thicker or higher depending on the heatsinks installed on the memory to help keep them cool. You only need to worry about this factor if your CPU cooler goes over top your memory slots.
August 11, 2011 2:05:28 PM

Friend, the reason why that module looks smaller its the result of a optical illusion. Actually, that specific RAM is bigger than most models, cause it has extra heatsink on top, making it taller. Therefore on a picture, it gives the impression of being less large

And as a matter of fact, ALL RAM modules are exactly the same size (appart of course of some extra heatsing on top or side), and they all fit correctly on the motherboard, its a manufacturing standart.

So dont be afraid. All you need to know is if your motherboard accepts DDR2 or DDR3 modules. Then get a 4GB or 8GB if you like showing off a little and you are set to go. Yes, its better to get the 2x modules and dual channel, memory is usually alredy sold in kits for that purpuse

Installing its pretty easy, you simply push it to place and the clamps automatically attach to it, securing it in place.
August 11, 2011 2:12:00 PM

just make sure you orientate the "key" which is a tab in the slot to match with the slotted void in the pin set on the memory so you know which end is up then push in, you will hear a click.

to remove, just pull tabs horizontally away from the top & bottom of the memory
August 11, 2011 3:39:42 PM

Thanks for all your help, i have a very new DDR3 motherboard. ASUS P8P67Pro Rev. 3.0.
Bought it May this year. Big Rig PC, but i think i may need more RAM for future games, like BF3. I know they are pretty CPU heavy too, but RAM makes my computer faster (Booting, etc.).

I have my rig SPECS here:
Case: NZXT Phantom Black
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 PRO Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i7 Quad Processor 3,4Ghz 2600K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9
GFX Card:HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 "TURBO"
HDD: 2x Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
Power Supply: Silver Power SP-SS620M 620W PSU
August 11, 2011 5:40:37 PM

ummm, upgrade to a SSD if you are looking for more performance,, 8 GB of ram is pretty good for now

you will get faster booting, loading, etc and perhaps a more smoother gameplay as well,, this will be waaaaaay better than adding more ram.
August 11, 2011 6:09:21 PM

monkeysweat said:
ummm, upgrade to a SSD if you are looking for more performance,, 8 GB of ram is pretty good for now

you will get faster booting, loading, etc and perhaps a more smoother gameplay as well,, this will be waaaaaay better than adding more ram.

Well, i have got a 50GB SSD Installed. Thats the one i use to store my OS on. No games, and other programs get to be on that one.
My two Kaviar harddrives are what im using for installing stuff on.
August 11, 2011 6:26:41 PM

well, i don't think you need to upgrade at this time, but if you have money burning a hole in your pocked it wont hurt to add another 8GB of vengance to your PC -or- another 6950 (probably need different power supply) -or- another SSD to do RAID 0 -or- all of the above

but really, you have a great PC there and you should be fully booted in 45 seconds from the push of a button or within 10 seconds from sleep and your apps should pop up real fast.

the one thing that slows down your boot process is the addition of hard drives as they all have to spin up to get past the bios,,,my pc takes noticeably longer now that it has 4 hard drives vs when it had 1
August 11, 2011 6:30:39 PM

Eddybogo said:
Well, i have got a 50GB SSD Installed. Thats the one i use to store my OS on. No games, and other programs get to be on that one.
My two Kaviar harddrives are what im using for installing stuff on.

You don't need any more stuff then, I doubt any games in the next year or two are going to use anywhere close to 8GB of RAM.

Bf3 needs 2 min and recommends 4. same with crysis 2 iirc. Only reason to buy memory now is because it is cheaper than it has been for a long time, $5-$6 per GB here in the US.
August 11, 2011 6:43:18 PM

i'm in Canada where prices are cheaper than US at times, recommended of 4 is half of the 8 GB Eddybogo has installed, so he is more than OK,,, give me a program that (a normal person) would use that needs more than 8 GB, you are going to have a hell of a time finding it. Just trying to save him from spending money for now and suggesting other avenues if he is looking for more performance, it is not going to come from more RAM.
August 11, 2011 8:04:21 PM

monkeysweat said:
well, i don't think you need to upgrade at this time, but if you have money burning a hole in your pocked it wont hurt to add another 8GB of vengance to your PC -or- another 6950 (probably need different power supply) -or- another SSD to do RAID 0 -or- all of the above

Well, right now, here in Norway, a Corsair Force Series 60GB SSD costs ~800 NOK (Approx. 115USD or 85GBP), a HIS Radeon 6950 GFX card costs around 2000NOK (Approx. 300USD or 200GBP(Not to mention the size of those monsters)) and a new PSU is something i wont even bother checking the prices for. 8GB of RAM costs ~400 NOK (58USD or 43GBP), so hopefully you can understand why its the most affordable of the options
August 11, 2011 8:53:50 PM

I know all other options more expensive, but what i am basically saying is save your money, buy something else,, even if it is a couple months from now,,, RAM won't do anything for you.
!