dicien007

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
Hey there everyone. So I am building a new PC, intel core i5 2.8Ghz with 8G DDR 3 ram and a 700w power supply. I have a gigabyte motherboard (GA-H67M-D2-B3(rev. 1.0)) running the F2 bios version. The problem is that it can't see either hard drive attached. I have 2 hard drives: 1X Seagate 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-6G and 1X Western Digital WD20EARS Caviar Green Hard Drive - 2TB, 3.5", SATA-3G. Now I also have a sata CD/DVD drive that is working perfectly. I was able to test and make sure one of the hard drives worked in another machine, the WD caviar.

Of course after trying several different configurations in the new machine (swapping cables, changing ports, etc) I have found only that neither hard drive is picked up and that the CD/DVD drive always gets picked up no matter where I put it. Now after a lot of testing, I tried both hard drives in another machine (a mac) and it can't find them either now. Either the new build somehow burned out these drives (though I have absolutely no idea how that could happen) or this is a mac/pc issue with the drives that can be resolved somehow in the new build.

So far the only thing I have dug up is that the BIOS version on the board is older than the latest the manufacturer has put out. Looking for any additional ideas or something I missed. I have tried the current BIOS is both optimized and fail-safe modes. The ports are set to auto detect - IDE.

dicien007

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
I think the only course of action I have is to try flashing the BIOS. Worst case scenario I end up bricking the motherboard - which I'll just return to them as DOA. Gigabyte has been less than helpful and if I return that motherboard, I'm going to avoid their stuff going forward.

dicien007

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
Well scratch that idea. I can't access any disks not even a USB thumb drive without an operating system. Anyone have a suggestion for a motherboard that doesn't suck? I think I'm sending this one back. The Hard drives too.

dicien007

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
Ok just came up with plan - uh lets call this E. I have a tech friend checking my hard drives to see if - in fact - they are dead. He inspected the rest of the rig and gave it a thumbs up so hopefully this is a 1/1000000 case of having 2 dead hard drives by two different manufacturers, one confirmed working.

I'll keep you up to date - even though its like I'm having a conversation with myself.

- I'm not crazy, you're crazy!!! Especially YOU Nappa!!!!

TRENDING THREADS