Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$100 graphics card for an E520

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 7, 2011 3:40:18 PM

Currently I am using a factory Dell E520. The thing uses integrated graphics and is not made for gaming what so ever. I am wondering what is a good card in the $100 range for this comp. I checked on another forum and was recommended both the Geforce 9800 GT and the Geforce GT 430, the 9800 being the more powerful card. Would either of these cards work for my computer? I know that there are restrictions to these things. Also, if there are other cards of better performance that you know of that will work let me know. But I am not trying to break my computer by using the wrong kind of card. The games that I want to play are Half-Life 2, Stalker series, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Neverwinter Nights 2. What performance can I expect out of the cards listed? Thanks for any advice and sorry for being so needy. Don't know a thing about computers.

More about : 100 graphics card e520

a c 235 U Graphics card
March 7, 2011 4:31:48 PM

the Nvidia GT 430 & GT 240 will work as will an ATI 5670 ver 2.0. I have the E521 sitting in my garage (pulled it apart for parts after its usefulness was done) so i know that PC well.

those cards are all solid entry level cards. they can play games well at 1440x900 resolution but won't max anything out that is a current game.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 7, 2011 9:39:49 PM

ct1615 said:
the Nvidia GT 430 & GT 240 will work as will an ATI 5670 ver 2.0. I have the E521 sitting in my garage (pulled it apart for parts after its usefulness was done) so i know that PC well.

those cards are all solid entry level cards. they can play games well at 1440x900 resolution but won't max anything out that is a current game.

So I shouldn't have a problem with the game listed? As long as a can handle Stalker and such with decent settings I am happy.
m
0
l
March 8, 2011 12:36:19 AM

Agreed on the 5670.
Dave
m
0
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 1:02:11 AM

SlapHappyJesus said:
So I shouldn't have a problem with the game listed? As long as a can handle Stalker and such with decent settings I am happy.


its playable with eye candy off but at high settings

m
0
l
March 8, 2011 1:21:40 AM

What kind of power supply would be needed to take advantage of the card? People were telling me that I should upgrade to a 400 or 500 watt to better use these cards. Also is it a low-profile card? Apparently using the E520 means that I have a limited amount of space and pci slots, which limits what I can do in terms of graphics cards.
m
0
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 1:54:37 AM

your current PSU is fine. i ran a 9800GT of it and it requires more power then the ATI 5670. you also don't need a low profile card. you need a single slot card which most ATI 5670 are, just make sure you get the PCI-E 2.0 version of the card.
m
0
l
March 8, 2011 2:23:37 AM

If you Can Upgrade Psu,i would say to Buy HD 4850.its better than all the three we talked about Above.
m
0
l
June 5, 2012 1:15:08 PM

SlapHappyJesus said:
Currently I am using a factory Dell E520. The thing uses integrated graphics and is not made for gaming what so ever. I am wondering what is a good card in the $100 range for this comp. I checked on another forum and was recommended both the Geforce 9800 GT and the Geforce GT 430, the 9800 being the more powerful card. Would either of these cards work for my computer? I know that there are restrictions to these things. Also, if there are other cards of better performance that you know of that will work let me know. But I am not trying to break my computer by using the wrong kind of card. The games that I want to play are Half-Life 2, Stalker series, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Neverwinter Nights 2. What performance can I expect out of the cards listed? Thanks for any advice and sorry for being so needy. Don't know a thing about computers.


I am replying to this thread to give advice to people looking to upgrade a dell e520. I know that they are an older machine now but for thoes on a budget still quite a viable option for a good solid HTPC and even gaming. I upgraded one with an intel core 2 quad. Note that you must update to the latest bios. 2.4 for this to work. And installed a PNY GT 430. This machine is not supposed to run this chip but it does flawlessly. The stock 305 watt psu dosnt strain @ all even with 3 hard drives installed. I can play need for speed shift on high. Crysis and other new titles with ease. The q6600 processor is still a very powerful chip for its age and can be picked up off ebay for around 80$ to 90$ or if you got an extra 20$ the q6700 quad will also run smoothly in this mobo. The pcie x16 slot is only pcie 1.0 and this makes many people think they can't use all the 2.0 cards out there but that's not true. Its no diffrent than running a usb 2.0 device on a 1.0 usb port. The device wil simply function @ 1.0 speed. I hope this is found and helps thoes looking to do some upgrades on a tight budget. After all we all don't have 1000s to spend on our computers but still wanna play games and watch high def movies. If your looking for a cheap machine that will have plenty of horse power this is an exclent option.
m
0
l
!