GBA SP Games - Counterfeit vs Authentic

Hi.

Does anyone know how to tell the authentic games from the counterfeit
GBA SP games?

eBay has many sellers from Asia or Canada who are selling the games.
I received about three which included the box and (bare stripped-down)
manual.

The game plays exactly like the authentic ones from people I know who
own GBA SP and games.

I just had to order the original manuals from Nintendo (if available).

Any answers would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Mz
4 answers Last reply
More about games counterfeit authentic

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 21:36:39 GMT, Mz <m_z@hNotmail.com> wrote:

    >Hi.
    >
    >Does anyone know how to tell the authentic games from the counterfeit
    >GBA SP games?

    Simple. Don't buy from eBay.

    Personally, when it comes to Ebay, I don't buy from any sellers who say
    they are in Hong Kong or elsewhere. Another thing that makes me suspicious
    is when the seller only provides an image of the game, not a picture of the
    actual cartridge itself.

    I stick to sellers within the United States when buying Gameboy games on
    Ebay. Also whenever possible, I look for sellers who provide the original
    instruction booklet and/or box in a REAL picture, not just a 'cut and paste'
    image.

    Of course, this isn't absolute verification that the game is not
    counterfeit, but your odds are better that the game is legit.

    -Robyn

    Mz wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to tell the authentic games from the counterfeit
    > GBA SP games?
    >
    > eBay has many sellers from Asia or Canada who are selling the games.
    > I received about three which included the box and (bare stripped-down)
    > manual.
    >
    > The game plays exactly like the authentic ones from people I know who
    > own GBA SP and games.
    >
    > I just had to order the original manuals from Nintendo (if available).
    >
    > Any answers would be appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Mz

    Well I once ended up with a counterfeit game. It was easy to tell it was
    a bootleg for many reasons:

    -the front sticker was not well centered and had a glossy look
    -"Gameboy Advance" in the front is written in a different font
    -the manual looks like a cheap copy and missing pages
    -It doesn't say "Pat Pend Made in Japan" in the back
    -the cartridge color is slightly darker
    -the screw in the back is different than the one used by Nintendo

    I think that's about it. As a rule, I never buy from someone outside of
    the US and Canada (and avoid Hong Kong sellers especially). Always check
    the guy's feedback as well.

    Finally, if you do end up with a bootleg despite your best efforts ask
    for a refund. He most probably will accept to refund you (and pay for
    shipping to send it back) because he doesn't want you to report him.
    Once you get your refund, report him anyway. ^_^

    That's about it..

    Mz <m_z@hNotmail.com> wrote in message news:<dkprd0149b85bd5guhsr2avbnbe8fsc30c@4ax.com>...
    > Hi.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to tell the authentic games from the counterfeit
    > GBA SP games?
    >
    > eBay has many sellers from Asia or Canada who are selling the games.
    > I received about three which included the box and (bare stripped-down)
    > manual.
    >
    > The game plays exactly like the authentic ones from people I know who
    > own GBA SP and games.
    >
    > I just had to order the original manuals from Nintendo (if available).
    >
    > Any answers would be appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Mz

    I ended up with pirated cartridges from two different sellers on eBay,
    and both of them were in the USA. As someone above said, I would just
    avoid eBay all together. Only buy GBA games that you can hold in your
    hand before you fork over your money. I have made several posts on
    this matter, and I don't feel like reposting all the info, so check
    out my earlier posts here: http://tinyurl.com/39wzp

    It is super-easy to spot a pirated cartridge if you have it in hand
    and can open it (just use a flat-head jeweler's screwdriver). See
    Nintendo's own pictures of authentic vs. counterfeit cartridges here:
    http://ap.nintendo.com/tab_06.html

    I hope that helps.

Console Gaming Games Nintendo Video Games