CPU power has 2x4 cables but one doesn't match.

Crimson_Inu

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
So I just got my components installed and I'm now hooking up all the cables. I've noticed that my motherboards aux power for the CPU is an 8 pin connector. My power supply has 2 separate x4 cables that look like they would plug into the p8 connector but upon closer inspection, one of them doesn't match the connector. It's "pegs" are all rounded, where as the connector has a square followed by a rounded "peg". The other cable matches with the connector perfectly.

Just want to know if this can be plugged into the connector with no ill effects. I could technically run it with just one p4 connector to the CPU power but I want to be safe.

For reference my parts in question are: Asus P8P67 Mobo, Intel i5 2500k, Antec HCG 520w PSU.

Sorry if this is common sense. Just being extra safe. Thanks for any answers.

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

Odd, might be defect on the PSU (the attached a pair of identical leads for the 4x2 pins). You should be fine though with a single 4 pin. My brothers setup only has a single 4 pin on the mobo (a budget asus 880g board) and he has an 1055t OCed on the board just fine.

Crimson_Inu

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

Ah, thank you very much! I figured I was probably over thinking it since it did fit the connector. It's strange that they would do it that way, but who am I to judge? Hopefully nothing else will throw me off and I'll finish it tomorrow morning.

Thanks again, Caleb.