Sign in with
Your question

A call to all owners of of LGA 1155

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2011 4:04:49 AM

Hi,

I am bit behind the latest/greatest, I'm currently on the LGA1366 socket and X58 Chipset...don't want to upgrade until 1366 is replaced...which is not 1155. I am waiting for socket 2011 (a 6 core cpu minimum) or something like that. Anyway, let me get to the point. From recent benchmarks it is clear that architecture of Intel's 1155 CPU's (sandybridge?) is superior to the less efficient and less powerful nehalem. Benchmarks show my trusty i7 920 getting demolished by even the LGA 1155 i5 CPU's. My i7 920 is quite capable and handles anything I throw at it, but I had a question for all owners of the faster and currently superior LGA1155 cpu's. It seems that hardware affects browser benchmark scores on PeaceKeeper. I ran it on my laptop which has a Core2Dou and then I ran it on my desktop with an i7 920 and the score in peacekeeper for the same browser was considerable higher. I don't know if the score is being affected by the GPU, CPU, or RAM...or operating system...laptop has vista, desktop has 7.

So my question is, whatever browser you have (Internet Explorer, Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera), may you please run the peacekeeper benchmark and tell me your result. Also tell me what CPU, RAM, and GPU you use as well as the OS. I want to narrow it down, I'm wondering if a CPU/RAM/GPU more powerful then my i7 920/OCZ Platinums/and GTX460 will yield better results in peacekeeper. It seems pretty hardware dependent from what I've seen.

Thank you for any help. I'm hoping to see a result of a i7 2600 (or K) owner specifically also.

Once again thanks !

More about : call owners lga 1155

a b à CPUs
August 11, 2011 4:15:28 AM

There's ganna be an LGA 1356, i think it's part of(Same of) the LGA 2011 but is a smaller version or you can say that 2011 has 2 QPI and 1356 has 1 QPI which is the main different... I Think SB-E is ganna be both LGA 1356(Haven't heard news about it but i heard about it on furom...) and LGA 2011...
August 11, 2011 6:08:23 AM

From what I've read SB-E is 2011 socket and the new Ivy-Bridge is going to be on the same 1155 socket, haven't seen mention of a 1356 socket rehash as 1356 is being replaced by 2011. Anyways back to the point a browser benchmark is going to tell you how well your browser runs, which is going to be a lot more to do with your internet connection and not so much how good your CPU is. You want to run actual benchmarks like PCmark etc if you want figures that relate to how well your CPU performs.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2011 6:22:51 AM

^Hey, I ran a controlled test of different, but capable hardware and got vastly different results...

And from what I've heard, Ivy Bridge is just a new set of CPU's on 1155, and that socket 2011 will be the official replacement of 1366 as the flagship/high end socket which will feature quad, hex, and octocore CPU's.
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2011 7:47:04 AM

Informal runs...
(six Chrome tabs open, three large files downloading, system uptime 5 days): 17759
(one IE 9 tab, previous Chrome window in background, no downloads): 11606
(one FireFox tab, previous Chrome and IE windows in background, no downloads): 10787

System:
2500K @ 4.8GHz
12GB 1600 CL9 RAM
GTX 570 overclocked (830 core, 2100 memory)
Win7 Home Premium 64-bit
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2011 11:24:06 AM

Quote:

(six Chrome tabs open, three large files downloading, system uptime 5 days): 17759

My point proven exactly. With just one tab open and a high priority set in task-manager, plus after a fresh restart, chrome got 10500 points approximately for me...

One of the tests that peacekeeper does is seriously hardware intensive...

I've got 6GB of triple channel 1600Mhz CL7 Ram (I don't think ram is the issue), our GPU's AND CPU's could easily handle a browser if they can handle intensive games and other processes....what can possibly explain this?

Any ideas?
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2011 1:28:47 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
Quote:

My point proven exactly. With just one tab open and a high priority set in task-manager, plus after a fresh restart, chrome got 10500 points approximately for me...

One of the tests that peacekeeper does is seriously hardware intensive...

I've got 6GB of triple channel 1600Mhz CL7 Ram (I don't think ram is the issue), our GPU's AND CPU's could easily handle a browser if they can handle intensive games and other processes....what can possibly explain this?

Any ideas?

glitch with the benchmark? favoring hardware? just more powerful hardware in general? who knows.

While i know you're looking for desktop sandybridge scores, maybe i should throw in some mobile nehalem numbers as strange as this sounds, my scores are not far off from your score.....

First showing what my specs are on this laptop while running the test. (windows 7 running in high performance mode and turbo boost is enabled)

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1947851

And here is my chrome score with nothing else running except for cpu-z

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-JJg8D5kYNu0/TkPWoVAh...

As you see that my laptop hardware is no power house in it's field but im only 1000 points away from your many time more powerful desktop.

Makes me unsure of trusting this benchmark.
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2011 2:12:43 PM

^I don't think your mobile i7 that much weaker than mine...same architecture, just a lower clock.

But you saw leaps-from-shadows benchmark from his 2500k demolished mine...
I get around 10500 in chrome/opera
I get around 6000-7000 in IE and firefox

Something is fishy in this benchmark.

Also, I run the benchmark without the hardware scan option if that matters.....???
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2011 2:56:39 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
^I don't think your mobile i7 that much weaker than mine...same architecture, just a lower clock.

But you saw leaps-from-shadows benchmark from his 2500k demolished mine...
I get around 10500 in chrome/opera
I get around 6000-7000 in IE and firefox

Something is fishy in this benchmark.

Also, I run the benchmark without the hardware scan option if that matters.....???

well i was looking at the overall hardware vs mine and cpu to cpu.

although when i was doing the test, i only really saw 1 thread worth of cpu power (12%) being really used out of my 8 threads.

So depending on your clock speeds vs his and the IPC boost in SB, this might explain some of the things were seeing.
!