Your question

Newbie: AMD processer upgrade- quick question

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
August 11, 2011 7:06:19 AM

Hello, I'm looking to upgrade from an Athlon 64 X2 5200+ to a phenom II X2 Black Edition 965...I need more processor power!!

Am I correct in saying the new processor will work with my current motherboard?

What I'm not sure is if my current heat sink will work with the new processor:

Thanks!!

More about : newbie amd processer upgrade quick question

a b à CPUs
August 11, 2011 7:12:14 AM

You would wise to look up the actual MB manufacturer's official list of supported processors.....
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2011 7:21:28 AM

Here's what I suggest:
1) download CPU-Z
2) head to motherboard tab
3) find out your model
4) find out details about your model like max supported tdp
- Phenom II x4 are like 125W if I remember correctly
5) Get the 955 instead because they're both black edition [easy overclock]
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2011 1:03:49 PM

+1 ^
The 965 Is Basicaly An Overclocked 955 Priced Higher! So Save Some Bucks And Get The 955!
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2011 1:30:24 PM

If the 955 doesn't work, i really like the 555's too! They pack a big punch with an unlockable 3rd (possibly 4th core), and are half the price! I bought a 3.2 GHz Callisto for $88.00 and OC it to just shy of 4GHz. Unlocked the 4th core too! Just an option as it is only an 80W CPU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2011 1:42:38 PM

bynexboy said:
Hello, I'm looking to upgrade from an Athlon 64 X2 5200+ to a phenom II X2 Black Edition 965...I need more processor power!!

Am I correct in saying the new processor will work with my current motherboard?

What I'm not sure is if my current heat sink will work with the new processor:

Thanks!!

Question, are you looking at one of the dual cores phenom II x2 550 or the quad core phenom II x4 965?

965 only quad core but you mention the X2 which would mean dual core. :heink:  so which one are you wantting?

Although as others have said, you need to figure out what your motherboard model number is to figure out if it can even run an AM3 cpu.
m
l
August 15, 2011 9:43:25 PM

Wow thanks for the fast responsce guys!!

I'm looking for a quad core, so you are right- It should of been x4
I'll definitely go with the 955 instead.

The mother board is a ASROCK K10N78D with a TDP of 125W, so i should be fine

My only isssue is finding out of the heatsink will work with the new processor.
I have no idea what model heatsink it is. My dad installed it a while ago, and he recently passed away. All i know is it is a zalman.

any help is appreciated
have a good one, guys
thanks again!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 114 À AMD
August 16, 2011 1:15:12 AM

Just get a retail CPU instead of an OEM CPU. They come with new coolers in the box ready to go. :sol: 
m
l
August 16, 2011 1:50:00 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Arrow, however a friend told me that the AMD stock coolers are not sufficient enough in cooling. Anyone looking to get an AMD processor, please get an aftermarket cooler!

m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 114 À AMD
August 16, 2011 3:33:47 AM

A friend told you? Well, my Phenom II X4 940 has been running on the stock cooler for about 3 years. Anyone looking to get an AMD processor, note that unless you plan to OC it right away (which I've never felt the need to do), the stock cooler works just fine. :sol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 17, 2011 10:47:47 AM

Stock coolers do adequate coolling for stock settings on your processors. why would companies waste money on a heatsink and fan if it wasn't sufficient? doesn't make any sense. Also, the Phenom II dual core Callisto has the option to unlock a 3rd and or 4th core, which was what i did, as well as great overclocking options. personally, with the new bulldozers coming out, an $88 cpu sounds a lot better than a $140 cpu that is just as outdated as the other, and quite frankly, the cheaper can have just as many cores potentially. If you have the money, go with the guarantee, but if you are interested in saving $50, go with the dual core and unlock.
m
l
!