boat capt

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
I presently have a system with GTX 460 1 GB super clocked EE in SLI, with an Asus P6X58D, intel 950, corsair 6gb redlines, heat sink, and a corsair 850 watt power supply. I'm considering swapping out my 460's for a much faster single card with the option of going SLI in the future. I play Call of Duty 4,5,6, and 7 mostly. What card by EVGA can I upgrade to in the very near future to give me better performance and gaming experience than what I have now?

Thanks all

Your only choice to match that performance is the GTX 580. A GTX 570 will be a step down (slightly) in terms of performance.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/12/02/geforce_gtx_580_vs_460_1gb_sli/

"What strikes us about our gameplay experiences today is the fact that with GTX 460 1GB SLI the 1GB of RAM on the GTX 460 may be holding it back at higher resolutions with AA. In all of our gameplay testing, we were surprised how well GTX 460 1GB SLI keeps up with the more expensive GeForce GTX 580. While it comes close, and at times exceeds it in framerate, it doesn’t deliver the same gameplay experience. The GeForce GTX 580 has more RAM on board, 1.5GB to be exact, and this seems to be giving it an advantage in some DX11 games when AA is enabled at high levels."

"GeForce GTX 460 1GB SLI offers performance that competes with a single GeForce GTX 580, but ultimately is limited by its 1GB of memory per GPU at high resolutions with AA. The GeForce GTX 580 offers a smoother gameplay experience and higher playable settings. The GeForce GTX 580 may be more expensive, but that price can pay off as we move into new DX11 games pushing the boundaries of graphics card memory capacity."

"If you are on a budget, and want to get into the NV Surround and/or SLI game, there is no questioning that GeForce GTX 460 1GB SLI is the best value. It provides high framerates and incredible SLI scaling. We are continued to be impressed by GeForce GTX 460 1GB SLI. If you have the money though, a GeForce GTX 580 is going to offer you more and provide a better gameplay experience without the hassle of worrying about SLI being supported in new games. With the GeForce GTX 580, you get all of the performance 100% of the time, with a higher memory capacity to boot."

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Right now I don't think there is a video card setup short of an SLIed set of GTX 570s or GTX 580 that are going to give you a large enough boost to justify getting rid of you GTX 460s. A GTX 580 is going to be a too much of a parallel upgrade and just isn't worth it given your current setup. I would just stick with the dual GTX 460s and wait for the GTX 6xx series which should arrive very late this year early next year, IIRC.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
^ True, but unless the OP can sell both GTX 460s without taking much of a loss you'll have a situation where you take a significant loss on the existing cards and pile on the $475 cost of a pair of GTX 560 Ti's, and for 30% more performance. You can get more performance than SLIed GTX 460s with other setups, it's just that you take a loss when you get rid of the original cards, and then adding on the cost of buying new cards means that it's hard to justify the expense for the gains you get.

boat capt

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Well it looks like it would only be a slight gain at this time. I dont want to sli a 580 at this time. My nephew is cash strapped, and in college so I was just going to give him the 460's. I dont mind buying the 580 but if I dont see an appreciable upgrade I will be disappointed. Maybe its just better to wait. Thanks for all responses.

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
The GTX 460's are still great cards and your setup should be able to play anything maxed out. The only place you may see a gain with an upgrade is in benchmarks.

I would hold on to what you got until the 600 series comes out.