Sign in with
Your question

PC shut down normally now won't turn on?

Last response: in Components
August 11, 2011 10:45:22 AM

Hello guys... last night after my installation of broadband on my new pc i made the required updates to windows 7 and install some new softwares to my new pc (1-1.5 month pc) after many restarts etc i decided to install call of duty modern warfare 2 and played for 1-2 hours... then i turned off my pc.. 1 hour later i decided to turn it on again and nothing happens... no beeps no leds no fans turning on nothing... i can see the power and reset leds on the motherboard on but nothing happens...tried many times today even 9 hours after the shut down but nothing happens.

No problems before... my pc is
processor i7 2600k
motherboard asus P8Z68 v-pro
ram 16gb hyper x genesis
windows 7 64bit
graphics msi 6950 2 gb twin frozer ll
psu XFX pro 750watt
cpu cooling corsair H70 hydro

More about : shut turn

a c 121 ) Power supply
August 11, 2011 11:33:11 AM

Any power indicator on the mobo, like a +5VSB LED? Check the outlet and power cord. Are you plugged into a GFCI outlet that tripped? Is there a switch controlling the outlet? Do any fans even twitch? Is there a fuse in the PSU's power plug that has blown?
m
l
August 11, 2011 11:33:11 AM

Press the Power button on the motherboard. if that doesn't work, try to "jump" the power pins with a screwdriver (tap the leads with a screwdriver). If it powers on, you have a bad power switch in your case. FrozenCPU has many to choose from.
m
l
Related resources
August 11, 2011 11:39:42 AM

Onus said:
Any power indicator on the mobo, like a +5VSB LED? Check the outlet and power cord. Are you plugged into a GFCI outlet that tripped? Is there a switch controlling the outlet? Do any fans even twitch? Is there a fuse in the PSU's power plug that has blown?

Yes the reset and power buttons are red coloured leds, tried to turned it on from there but still no luck...

and the fans does not twitch...

also if the fuse was fried there will be no power to the mobo at all because power is there as the lights of reset and power buttons are switched on
m
l
August 11, 2011 11:43:20 AM

IH8U said:
Press the Power button on the motherboard. if that doesn't work, try to "jump" the power pins with a screwdriver (tap the leads with a screwdriver). If it powers on, you have a bad power switch in your case. FrozenCPU has many to choose from.

"jump" the power pins?? you mean having power on and touching the 8 pin socket on the mobo with a screwdriver?
m
l
August 11, 2011 12:39:03 PM

Not the 8 pin socket, the pins where you connected the power switch header from the case. Same area as the HDD LED pins, and the Reset button pins. If the system is still non-responsive you may have gotten a power surge that fried your PSU, or one of it's 12v rails.
m
l
August 11, 2011 12:52:52 PM

IH8U said:
Not the 8 pin socket, the pins where you connected the power switch header from the case. Same area as the HDD LED pins, and the Reset button pins. If the system is still non-responsive you may have gotten a power surge that fried your PSU, or one of it's 12v rails.

tried that and nothing... still the reset and power buttons are "glowing" which i believe power is given from the psu...
m
l
August 11, 2011 2:18:52 PM

Still could have lost one of the 12v rails. Do you have an old Vid card laying around, that doesn't require a PSU connection? (I usually have one just in case). If so, hook it up, and disconnect your 6950, then see if it boots. If it does, your PSU, or one of it's 12v rails did a meltdown (never heard of an XFX doin that tho, good thing they have decent customer support).
m
l
!