One beep, no signal to monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt1156

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
Hi All -

So I just set up a new computer - all new parts. Intel Processor, 620 w power, no video card installed yet, g skill ripjaws memory, and this motherboard:

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

I'm using an hp s2031 monitor which I know works b/c I'm using it right now on another computer.

When I start up the computer, everything seems to work. My fans are all going, i get some start up lights for a few seconds on the motherboard itself, i get one short beep indicating that everything's working right, but I don't get a signal to my monitor?

Any ideas what could be wrong? I def already reviewed the Tom's checklist for this, and I looked at the Gigabyte sticky, and I've been googling and reading about this for a while now to no avail. I did already shift my memory around one by one with no change in the situation.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!!!!

Solution
If it is a brand new motherboard that hasn't been used before, it may be defective. My first UD3P board was bad and had to be RMA'd. Test it outside the case with just CPU, HSF, Memory, PSU, monitor attached. To start up, short the 2 pins the power button would connect to. See if you get a display and can boot to BIOS. If not, I would RMA the board.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If it is a brand new motherboard that hasn't been used before, it may be defective. My first UD3P board was bad and had to be RMA'd. Test it outside the case with just CPU, HSF, Memory, PSU, monitor attached. To start up, short the 2 pins the power button would connect to. See if you get a display and can boot to BIOS. If not, I would RMA the board.

Solution

matt1156

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
tested outside the case, same situation. looks/sounds like it's working but no output to monitor. If no one else has any suggestions, maybe it really is just defective. Thanks!!

The single short beep means that the POST passed. However, the POST can only check for the presence of the video interface. It cannot check the internal workings of either the built in graphics or the external video card.

An external video card would probably work. If so, that would verify that the motherboard has a fault. I would try to borrow a video card for testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.