I7 2600k build, thoughts?

sotu

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
I just built a very similar system with very similar use.. things I would recommend after my process of assembling the PC and building it up..

You have a SLI ready system here. PSU is 850 and the MOBO is SLI ready.. Do you want to go with a SLI set up? The ONLY reason to go SLI is for gaming, nothing else. If you game extensively then having sli in the future is a good idea but otherwise save yourself the bucks on a PSU/MOBO (get a non sli PSU and for that set up go for a 650 watt psu). With the money you save get the gtx 570.

If money isnt a huge problem with your build then grab two IPS monitors (dual 23inch ones).. thats where I went with it and I couldnt be happier.

This PSU is suggested a lot: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Enthusiast-Certified-compatible-platforms/dp/B004LB5AZY

also, if you wanna stick with ASUS on the mobo get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131706&Tpk=p8p67%20le (more or less the same without SLI).

Not sure what your overall goal with this PC is but if you're doing freelance stuff like I do then performance will probably be more important to you than gaming, invest in a 60gb SSD, I got the crucial C300 64gb SSD when it was on sale. Most people seem to be staying away from OCZ right now because of some complaints with the last production run, so I'll recommend the same SSD to you as well. Put your OS and Adobe suite on the SSD and run your HD as file storage. Also, the Samsung spinpoint 1TB drives are more popular than those WD ones you selected.

Cheers mate

striker410

Distinguished
As Sotu said, check out the GTX 570, CS5 can use it for hardware acceleration.
Do you need the 16GB of ram? Usually 8GB is plenty, even for video editing. I also second the PSU suggestion above, unless you do plan on SLI.

Also, this is a personal thing but I like the HAF 912 better than the antec 300.

raptorjesus

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
The Zotac is more expensive but it apparently has less chance of frying the vram due to something changed versus the reference design. I just bought the cheapest one as I was stretching my budget, which was a Galaxy. I'm not overclocking it for the time being, instead I'm adding a second one to increase performance. I think a mild OC would be fine on even a reference card.

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished
the hyper 212 plus is 10$ cheaper at amazon. if you really want that i.25 tb's of space just get 2 samsung spinpoint f3 1tb at amazon there 60$ each free shipping. you only need 650w for a 560 ti. a good 500w psu will run it too. case get the 300 illusion case. and just stick with p67 mobo's you wont tell the difference between them if you are just using cs5 get the asrock p67 extreme4 motherboard

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
What is the WD 250GB blue for? You have a 1TB black which I assume would be for storage but the blacks have better performance so it would make more sense to have your OS on the black and not the blue, so it just seems a little odd to me. If you want to separate your OS from your storage a better idea would be to just partition your drive instead of buying 2 separate physical drives. It's easy to do, would be more cost effective and use less power.

e_franke

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
updated the list, and have a couple more questions.

1). got 2 spinpoint f3's, 1 for rendered files, the other for project files
2). got a crucial realSSD 64gb for cs5/os
-will this setup work well for storage, no raid setup

3). upgraded to gtx570 fermi, will 650W be enough?
4). changed mobo to asrock p67 extreme 4, good choice?

nd_hunter

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

Yes to all. However, if you are not going to SLI, the ASRock P67 Pro3 would be a smart, money-saving swap. It's $30 less and has free shipping.