Fujifilm FinePix S7000 Opinions?

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 25, 2005 1:54:57 AM

I need a good digital camera for a high altitude hike. Hauling my Canon
1V with a couple of lenses was just too much on the last trip so I want
to go relatively light but still demand high photo quality and versitility.

So, I want a:
* 5 megapixel or better (6-7 is preferable) digital
* a good optical zoom of 4x or better
* a camera that will handle an occasional bump
* one that operates on regular batteries (important since it will be
hard to re-charge nicads or similar)
*weight of no more than a pound, give or take

I was looking at the Fujifilm FinePix S7000. With a 6.3x zoom, it runs
on AA batteries, offers a lot of user control, weighs just over 1 pound.
Any experience with it to share? Any alternative suggestions? Thanks.
February 25, 2005 9:58:36 AM

In article <aKudnemvJoGBLYPfRVn-pg@giganews.com>, tzipple@comcast.net says...
> I need a good digital camera for a high altitude hike. Hauling my Canon
> 1V with a couple of lenses was just too much on the last trip so I want
> to go relatively light but still demand high photo quality and versitility.
>
> So, I want a:
> * 5 megapixel or better (6-7 is preferable) digital
> * a good optical zoom of 4x or better
> * a camera that will handle an occasional bump
> * one that operates on regular batteries (important since it will be
> hard to re-charge nicads or similar)
> *weight of no more than a pound, give or take
>
> I was looking at the Fujifilm FinePix S7000. With a 6.3x zoom, it runs
> on AA batteries, offers a lot of user control, weighs just over 1 pound.
> Any experience with it to share? Any alternative suggestions? Thanks.

Two things to remember...

1. If it is set to its best picture quality and jpg, it is going to
interpolate the picture into a 12mp picture.

2. If you get one that was "early off the line" and use cf cards, it will use
up batteries when it is turned off (cameras with this problem have to go to
Fuji to be fixed)Unless you are buying a used one, this shhouldn't be a
problem.

I have take many hundreds of shots with my S7000, and I dont feel it is a
battery hog at all. Just dont even THINK about Alkalines, they wont work for
more than a couple of on/off cycles.

I can get through a 12 hour shooting day with 3 sets of NIMH rated at 2200
(about $10 per set of 4) and I use the camera in its most power hungry mode,
Constant-Auto-Focus (CAF on the focus mode dial).
--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Hi,

I've been shooting with the Fuji S7000 for some time and like the
camera. The previous comments are quite accurate -- by all means get a
good set (4) NiMH batteries.
Movie mode is quite good -- even though 640x480 is tops. Runs length of
your CF card (256MB yields 3:37 minutes).
Camera also uses xD or MicroDrive.
6 megapixels (Fuji interpolation to two levels at 12 megapixels).
Good flash built in.
Some pics I've taken at:

http://tinyurl.com/69zmc

Best,

Conrad

--
Conrad
Related resources

In article <Conrad.1l0gzm@no-mx.Newsgroup.Gateway>, Conrad.1l0gzm@no-
mx.Newsgroup.Gateway says...
> Hi,
>
> I've been shooting with the Fuji S7000 for some time and like the
> camera. The previous comments are quite accurate -- by all means get a
> good set (4) NiMH batteries.
> Movie mode is quite good -- even though 640x480 is tops. Runs length of
> your CF card (256MB yields 3:37 minutes).
> Camera also uses xD or MicroDrive.
> 6 megapixels (Fuji interpolation to two levels at 12 megapixels).
> Good flash built in.
> Some pics I've taken at:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/69zmc
>
> Best,
>
> Conrad
>

> --
> Conrad

I found it Exciting that most of your pictures are landscapes.. Not because
of anything really other than most of my very best landscape, and
Flower/Nature MACRO stuff has bee shot with the S7000 and its baby brother
the S5000.

Both do a GREAT job in this work and I had totally forgotten to mention it in
my post about the S7000.

I get so carried away with my Horse Show photos I tend to forget I have this
"other life" in which I shoot flowers/bugs/trees/landscapes/dogs/cats, and
anything that stands still long enough to aim the camera!

The S5000 my special favorite for shooting landscapes that will end up as
"panoramas".

VERY NICE PHOTOS Conrad, keep up the good work.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. If I really can not effectively use
alklaine batteries, I see no great advantage to the S7000.

tzipple wrote:
> I need a good digital camera for a high altitude hike. Hauling my Canon
> 1V with a couple of lenses was just too much on the last trip so I want
> to go relatively light but still demand high photo quality and versitility.
>
> So, I want a:
> * 5 megapixel or better (6-7 is preferable) digital
> * a good optical zoom of 4x or better
> * a camera that will handle an occasional bump
> * one that operates on regular batteries (important since it will
> be hard to re-charge nicads or similar)
> *weight of no more than a pound, give or take
>
> I was looking at the Fujifilm FinePix S7000. With a 6.3x zoom, it runs
> on AA batteries, offers a lot of user control, weighs just over 1 pound.
> Any experience with it to share? Any alternative suggestions? Thanks.
February 25, 2005 11:24:51 PM

In article <OrudnabLh4LcI4LfRVn-3g@giganews.com>, tzipple@comcast.net says...
> Thanks for the thoughts everyone. If I really can not effectively use
> alklaine batteries, I see no great advantage to the S7000.
>
> tzipple wrote:
> > I need a good digital camera for a high altitude hike. Hauling my Canon
> > 1V with a couple of lenses was just too much on the last trip so I want
> > to go relatively light but still demand high photo quality and versitility.
> >
> > So, I want a:
> > * 5 megapixel or better (6-7 is preferable) digital
> > * a good optical zoom of 4x or better
> > * a camera that will handle an occasional bump
> > * one that operates on regular batteries (important since it will
> > be hard to re-charge nicads or similar)
> > *weight of no more than a pound, give or take
> >
> > I was looking at the Fujifilm FinePix S7000. With a 6.3x zoom, it runs
> > on AA batteries, offers a lot of user control, weighs just over 1 pound.
> > Any experience with it to share? Any alternative suggestions? Thanks.

I cant think of ANY digital camera worth owning that will work more than a
few minutes on Alkaline batteries.

They cant handle the load.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 22:54:57 -0600, tzipple <tzipple@comcast.net> wrote:

> I need a good digital camera for a high altitude hike. Hauling my Canon
> 1V with a couple of lenses was just too much on the last trip so I want
> to go relatively light but still demand high photo quality and versitility.
>
> So, I want a:
> * 5 megapixel or better (6-7 is preferable) digital
> * a good optical zoom of 4x or better
> * a camera that will handle an occasional bump
> * one that operates on regular batteries (important since it will be
> hard to re-charge nicads or similar)
> *weight of no more than a pound, give or take
>
> I was looking at the Fujifilm FinePix S7000. With a 6.3x zoom, it runs
> on AA batteries, offers a lot of user control, weighs just over 1 pound.
> Any experience with it to share? Any alternative suggestions? Thanks.

You will need to take a heap of AA's with you if you plan to use alkalines. I
have the model preceding the 7000, the S602z and I can barely get 10 shots with
alkalines but many hundred with a set of NiMH.

Other than that, the Fuji is a great choice.

BTW, have you thought of taking a couple of solar powered battery chargers with
you?
February 25, 2005 11:58:45 PM

Hi there.

I agree with Ken. my wife has the Fuji S5500, 4Mp, and while it is a great
camera, 10x Zoom, good user controls and even Raw Files, it is pretty heavy
on Batteries. Normal Alkalines do not last long, and 2400ma NiMH are really
essential.

Roy G
"Ken Oaf" <tipsy@beerlover.com.au> wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 22:54:57 -0600, tzipple <tzipple@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I need a good digital camera for a high altitude hike. Hauling my Canon
>> 1V with a couple of lenses was just too much on the last trip so I want
>> to go relatively light but still demand high photo quality and
>> versitility.
>>
>> So, I want a:
>> * 5 megapixel or better (6-7 is preferable) digital
>> * a good optical zoom of 4x or better
>> * a camera that will handle an occasional bump
>> * one that operates on regular batteries (important since it will be
>> hard to re-charge nicads or similar)
>> *weight of no more than a pound, give or take
>>
>> I was looking at the Fujifilm FinePix S7000. With a 6.3x zoom, it runs
>> on AA batteries, offers a lot of user control, weighs just over 1 pound.
>> Any experience with it to share? Any alternative suggestions? Thanks.
>
> You will need to take a heap of AA's with you if you plan to use
> alkalines. I
> have the model preceding the 7000, the S602z and I can barely get 10 shots
> with
> alkalines but many hundred with a set of NiMH.
>
> Other than that, the Fuji is a great choice.
>
> BTW, have you thought of taking a couple of solar powered battery chargers
> with
> you?

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 1:09:11 AM

Are they better on lithium?

Larry wrote:
> In article <OrudnabLh4LcI4LfRVn-3g@giganews.com>, tzipple@comcast.net says...
>
>>Thanks for the thoughts everyone. If I really can not effectively use
>>alklaine batteries, I see no great advantage to the S7000.
>>
>>tzipple wrote:
>>
>>>I need a good digital camera for a high altitude hike. Hauling my Canon
>>>1V with a couple of lenses was just too much on the last trip so I want
>>>to go relatively light but still demand high photo quality and versitility.
>>>
>>>So, I want a:
>>>* 5 megapixel or better (6-7 is preferable) digital
>>>* a good optical zoom of 4x or better
>>>* a camera that will handle an occasional bump
>>>* one that operates on regular batteries (important since it will
>>>be hard to re-charge nicads or similar)
>>>*weight of no more than a pound, give or take
>>>
>>>I was looking at the Fujifilm FinePix S7000. With a 6.3x zoom, it runs
>>>on AA batteries, offers a lot of user control, weighs just over 1 pound.
>>>Any experience with it to share? Any alternative suggestions? Thanks.
>>

> I cant think of ANY digital camera worth owning that will work more than a
> few minutes on Alkaline batteries.
>
> They cant handle the load.

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 1:46:32 AM

Ken Oaf wrote:
>> Thanks.
>
> You will need to take a heap of AA's with you if you plan to use
> alkalines. I have the model preceding the 7000, the S602z and I can
> barely get 10 shots with alkalines but many hundred with a set of
> NiMH.

How about non-rechargable Lithium AA batteries? They are expensive, but will
last longer than NiMh rechargable (and alkaline).

--
Frode P. Bergsager
Anonymous

In article <aKudnemvJoGBLYPfRVn-pg@giganews.com>,
tzipple <tzipple@comcast.net> wrote:

> I need a good digital camera for a high altitude hike. Hauling my Canon
> 1V with a couple of lenses was just too much on the last trip so I want
> to go relatively light but still demand high photo quality and versitility.
>
> So, I want a:
> * 5 megapixel or better (6-7 is preferable) digital
> * a good optical zoom of 4x or better
> * a camera that will handle an occasional bump
> * one that operates on regular batteries (important since it will be
> hard to re-charge nicads or similar)
> *weight of no more than a pound, give or take
>
> I was looking at the Fujifilm FinePix S7000. With a 6.3x zoom, it runs
> on AA batteries, offers a lot of user control, weighs just over 1 pound.
> Any experience with it to share? Any alternative suggestions? Thanks.

There is chromatic aberration at the interpolated 12.6 megapixels but
not enough to worry about - you can only see it at high magnification on
high contrast areas. You can also shoot raw and Photoshop 8 should be
able to handle that. The auto-focus can be overly aggressive and klunky
at times - there doesn't seem to be a way of fixing focus on infinity,
even in the SP 'mountain' mode.
The on switch is a little difficult to use - switching from shoot to
play mode often results in 'over switch' meaning the camera shuts down -
seconds of delay while the lens retracts, switch on, lens extends. Also
the manual exposure switch can be easily moved.

Apart from these slight niggles, I'm very happy with the results. You
should buy at least a 1Mb CF or xD card (210 pix at 12.6, 80 in RAW) to
be useful. I travelled through Scotland with it last summer (with an
Apacer Disc Steno). I haven't yet realised the full potential of this
camera yet.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 11:49:54 PM

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:09:11 -0600, tzipple <tzipple@comcast.net> wrote:

> Are they better on lithium?

Yes, but that is an expensive way to go.
!