Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD 965 BE and cooler master 520N

Last response: in CPUs
August 11, 2011 4:14:11 PM

i seem to be running at 38C idle, and like 60-65 under load in various games. this is just a bit too high for my liking. ive seen specs not to exceed from 61-70.

this seem normal? my ambient room temps are around 70 deg F. I have fans blowing in on HDD( front) and vid card( side panel) exhaust coming out back and top.

i am going to take the machine apart here in just a few and re-apply paste and heat sink, and see what i get again.

if not, i think i am looking at getting the H60 or H80 corsair, the H100 will not fit in my case( CM690 something like that)
August 11, 2011 7:32:59 PM

shameless bump... no one thinks these are a bit too high?
m
l
August 12, 2011 2:07:56 PM

wow, no help at all... thanks.
m
l
Related resources
August 12, 2011 2:15:42 PM

I just posted a very similar post and no help has come yet either. Maybe we could do our best to help each other? I believe the "max temperature" for your CPU is 65C so it is getting very hot, I would suggest an aftermarket cooler or possibly cleaning the thermal paste off and redoing it with Arctic Silver. What sites do you prefer do buy off of?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
August 12, 2011 3:23:21 PM

Those temperatures are on the high side for a N520. A few things I would look at would be case flow. If your case has poor airflow allowing heat to build in your case it can negate the effectiveness of a good CPU heat sink.

I would also check proper installation of the heat sink and thermal compound. If these are not done correctly they will also cause high temperatures.

And lastly I would check your voltage. Many times a motherboard will use a higher voltage at default then is necessary which causes increased heat.
August 13, 2011 12:57:23 AM

i took my cooler apart, cleaned it. it wasnt dirty, but now its immaculate.
I wasnt 100% stoked with how the old thermal paste looked. i may have left it "splotchy" - reapplied.
I had 3 120mm fans laying around that i never put in my case. i now have a total of 6.. 3 in/3 out.

my temps went from 38C idle 65C we'll call it load to 34C idle, 55C load. ambient rooms temps 70-75F.

i do like the idea of checking the voltage. offhand what is a 965 BE supposed to be running at, what is the lowest it can go?
m
l
August 13, 2011 12:58:53 AM

mike8472 said:
I just posted a very similar post and no help has come yet either. Maybe we could do our best to help each other? I believe the "max temperature" for your CPU is 65C so it is getting very hot, I would suggest an aftermarket cooler or possibly cleaning the thermal paste off and redoing it with Arctic Silver. What sites do you prefer do buy off of?

i shop at newegg or micro center. i do newegg if i can wait, micro center is i ned it right now. i live about 25 minutes from one.. its much faster than shipping, but i have to pay tax!
m
l
August 13, 2011 1:14:11 PM

Best answer selected by Mrthorp.
m
l
!