Core i5 damaged? Missing memory issue

danielstucke

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I've been having issues whereby only half of my memory is showing in the BIOS and consequently Windows 7. If I have 1 4GB stick installed it shows throughout as 2Gb. Same with 2x4GB showing as 4GB total. This didn't used to happen.

CPU-Z, Resource Monitor & BIOS all show only half. There is no trace of the other half, it's not showing at all (not as Hardware Reserved as I have seen other people's).

I was running an MSI P55-GD65 with a Core i5 and G-Skill Ripjaw 2 x 4Gb F3-1600CL9D-4GBRH.

I read through lots of the forums and found that this is often due to bent pins on the CPU connection. So I took everything apart and worryingly found that one of the corner pins had snapped - how this has happened I'm not too sure. It could be due to the rather large Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 Processor cooler and the fact I'd recently moved the PC around a bit in the house but it seems strange.

So today I have replaced the Motherboard with an Asus P7P55D-E LX. Popped everything back in and it's still doing exactly the same thing! I've swapped the memory sticks around and put them in different configurations - I can't believe they've both become faulty.

Is it possible that the CPU has also got damaged? I've looked over it as best I can - there are multiple contact points on each pad but there isn't any obvious damage. I really can't think what else it was.

Any ideas before I go and spend another £100+ on a new CPU tomorrow.

Thanks.

First of all the processor should still be under warranty for GB call 0870 607 2439 08:30 - 16:00 UK time Monday -Friday.

As far as this issue I do have a couple questions. First of all You say that you are using Windows 7 is it the 64bit? Which Intel® Core™ i5 do you have?

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

danielstucke

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Thanks for your reply.

It's a Core i5 750 2.66GHz Lynnfield processor. Bought October 2009.

It is Windows 64 bit. I'm pretty sure it's a hardware issue though as the BIOS only reports half the memory while booting.

Will call Intel tomorrow and see if it's still under warranty - I would hope so as I'd expect more than 2 years life from it.