Ultra budget AutoCad build, already have some parts

bigmantenor

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date: In the next month

Budget Range: Around $250

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Needs to be the best budget AutoCad machine it can be

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, Monitor, Case, or Power supply

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon or Newegg

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Probably Nvidia graphics card, as it has CUDA

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

I know that this budget is kind of ridiculous for an AutoCad build, but I'm trying to do a favor for my dad here and build one on the cheap for my younger brother to use for a CNC project. Parts required are CPU, RAM, motherboard, and video card. I have two power supplies sitting around: Antec Earthwatts 380W, or a Antec Basiq 430W; would really like to use one of these if possible, since the budget is already kind of tight. I figure combo deals on Newegg are the way to go, but Amazon surpises me now and then with their prices. Thanks in advance for any help guys!!!

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
It is hard to build a PC at $250 vs. buying one at walmart or bestbuy. If you can find combo deals, or used parts this can help you a bit.

I started running AutoCAD years ago on the original IBM PC, and I've run AutoCAD since on all different types of hardware. If you are running large autocad models then you need the fastest processor and as much ram as you can get. Everything else is secondary. If you are running smaller models then you can get by with a lesser computer. Autocad doesn't make good use of more than one core so a fast dual core processor will beat a quad core processor. At your price you might have to settle for the fastest dual core AMD CPU that you can get, or maybe the lowest i3 but that would probably bust your budget. Depending on your area you might find someone that wants to upgrade their computer and will sell you a used motherboard, etc. And look around for deals on previous generation hardware such as a 320GB hard drive now that everybody is buying 750GB and bigger.

bigmantenor

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I definitely agree with you; I understand that this budget is kind of ridiculous for this purpose. My dad is trying to build this as cheap as possible, as it is meant to give my younger brother some initiative while not breaking the bank on a $1000 machine that he has not earned. We have a bunch of hard drives at the house (we are running an 18TB movie server using some NAS software, and have many spares which we can use). The Sandy Bridge i3 is probably a good idea for now with the integrated graphics; any other takers on giving this build a shot?