Cant start computer after making bios changes

sadair

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Greetings all!

I have this problem that whenever i make any changes to the bios and save it to the cmos, my computer doesnt boot. It turns on, fans spin, lights turn on but nothing on monitor and it just sits there. Resetting CMOS via jumpers or battery works and then I can boot into windows fine but this leaves me unable to make any changes from the default.

Current change Im trying to make is altering the date to get around some bullshit check the Microsoft Kinect SDK makes but I have also been unable to change boot order in the past.

Have tried replacing battery, loading optimized defaults and even a slight vcore boost as per other suggestions on other forums but nothing has worked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Specs
Abit fatal1ty mobo
Intel core 2 duo e6850
8 gb ram
Nvidia 6800 gt

sadair

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Thanks for the reply but you seem to have misread. Im not trying to overclock my machine. Im trying to change the date on the bios, save that setting and restart. The vcore bump was solely as a way to accomplish that suggested to someone with a similar problem that i tried but didnt help.

it could be a bios issue but as abit web page is gone all i can say is chek to see if your mb bios is at the highest rev before abit went under. a few things will cause a pc not to bios post. the ram in the mb has a timming issue or is not 100 present ok with the mb. ie it 1066 ram and the mb needed 800. with the cmos set at default when you clear it the mb would set the ram at 800.
then when you go in the mb may auto detect the new speed or new ram timing and when it trays to save and reboot it cause the mb to hang. gigbyte puts in a bios recovery into there older mb if you overclock the mb ram or cpu wrong it would do a dubble reboot and recover to factory defaults. a simple test would be take out 1/2 your ram. see if the error happens if it does clear the cmos and then run cpu-z look at the ram info dont use the xmp profile that for overclocking and some mb can read and use xmp some cant. check in the bios that the ram is read for the correct speed and voltage. on older mb sometime you have bump the dimm voltage with all 4 slots filled. check to see that you have the video card in the right pci video slot. if the mb has more then one the vendor will say one is psi-0 that should be the first pci video slot. if you have a sound card try moving it one slot you could have an irq issue. also check in the bios that the irq are set to auto.

sadair

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Thanks for reply.

Not sure up to latest version of bios. Probably not since never updated so that may be issue.

Vid card is in right slot, dont have a soundcard. And tried removing a stick of RAM, entering bios, loading fail save defaults, changing date, saving and restarting but no juice.

Also I do remember checking RAM with motherboard and this is not my first build so I dont think thats issue

Ray2d2

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Any final words on how you solved the problem?

I have basically the same issue. I flashed my asus P6T, rebooted, was able to get into the BIOS or windows (once), but as soon as you save or reboot again, nothing: black screen... not even the bios screen to get to F2/DEL... Then when the CMOS is resetted it allowed me once in the bios/windows, but the data does not get saved. Flashing to an earlier version does not seem to help... Any idea´s.... :bounce:

sadair

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012

Like I said Ray I never did. Removing and then reinserting battery lets me reset bios to default settings and boot computer normally except for an error message easily bypassed by pressing F1 at startup.

And so far haven't really needed to change bios for anything.

Windows 7 lets you essentially mount the drive and copy files to temp folder for reformat and OS installation getting rid of the need to change boot order in bios to a DVD ROM. And I thought I needed to change the year on bios to get Kinect to work but changing the system time on computer works just fine.

Best of luck with your issue though!