External TV tuner help

sucho14

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Hello all,

I am a college student who misses a lot of tv due to studying. Anyways I am looking to get an external tuner to record tv using windows media center. I was looking to get

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...kim769X53352Xed6a79ecfb276ed12248deae6e451ca5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815345007&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3641024&SID=skim769X53352Xed6a79ecfb276ed12248deae6e451ca5

I have Comcast tv and my tv requires a box and my tv is set to like channel 3 and i change the channel from the box. Will this tuner work? I know its a dual so i can record and watch at same time but will it work with the box? could i flip the tv back and forth from pc input to cable input and still record?

any help would be amazing.

Thanks,

Wolfshadw

Titan
The problem is the cable box. It only outputs one channel at a time. Whatever channel your cable box is set to, that's the only you can record/watch. The only solution at the moment is an internal card from Ceton Corp called the InfiniTV Card, which uses a cablecard from the cable company instead of a set top box.

-Wolf sends

Edit

I would note that SiliconDust is working on a triple tuner card called the HDHomeRun Prime that is an external box which also uses a cablecard.

sucho14

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
SO that internal card is the only things out there with cable card in it?

EDIT

With that internal card what is the "Multi-Stream CableCARD™ (M-Card) – available from your local cable provider" that i need?

Wolfshadw

Titan
A multi-stream cablecard is just a card that you lease from your cable company:

cablecard1.jpg

This card, inserted into the Ceton Corp InfiniTV Tuner card replaces the need for a set top box. Additionally, instead of handling only one channel at a time, this setup gives your four channels at the same time. So you could watch one channel while recording three others or record four channels all at once.

Note: SiliconDust's HDHomeRun Prime works the same way, but gives your three channels instead of four.

-Wolf sends