Sign in with
Your question

External TV tuner help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 8, 2011 2:52:39 AM

Hello all,

I am a college student who misses a lot of tv due to studying. Anyways I am looking to get an external tuner to record tv using windows media center. I was looking to get

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have Comcast tv and my tv requires a box and my tv is set to like channel 3 and i change the channel from the box. Will this tuner work? I know its a dual so i can record and watch at same time but will it work with the box? could i flip the tv back and forth from pc input to cable input and still record?

any help would be amazing.

Thanks,

More about : external tuner

a b x TV
March 8, 2011 3:11:59 AM

The problem is the cable box. It only outputs one channel at a time. Whatever channel your cable box is set to, that's the only you can record/watch. The only solution at the moment is an internal card from Ceton Corp called the InfiniTV Card, which uses a cablecard from the cable company instead of a set top box.

-Wolf sends

Edit

I would note that SiliconDust is working on a triple tuner card called the HDHomeRun Prime that is an external box which also uses a cablecard.
m
l
March 9, 2011 3:23:00 AM

SO that internal card is the only things out there with cable card in it?

EDIT

With that internal card what is the "Multi-Stream CableCARD™ (M-Card) – available from your local cable provider" that i need?
m
l
a b x TV
March 9, 2011 4:12:17 AM

A multi-stream cablecard is just a card that you lease from your cable company:

This card, inserted into the Ceton Corp InfiniTV Tuner card replaces the need for a set top box. Additionally, instead of handling only one channel at a time, this setup gives your four channels at the same time. So you could watch one channel while recording three others or record four channels all at once.

Note: SiliconDust's HDHomeRun Prime works the same way, but gives your three channels instead of four.

-Wolf sends

m
l
!