First Build Ever Please Help

ct654

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
This is my first attempt at building my own system. I am doing it because I would like to save some money and still get the components I want.

My computer use consists of some gaming (civilization, Dawn of War, etc). I also use mutiple screens and run 2 or more applications at a time. I would like for this computer to last at least 5 years. The last computer I had was a Dell laptop that I have had for four years.

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

MOBO: Intel DP67BGB3

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz 6MB

HDD: Intel 320 Series 80 GB SATA 3 Gb-s SSD
and a Western Digital 1 TB SATA 6 GB/s 7200 RPM 64 MB

RAM: Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231445

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TC 750-Watt TX Series

Video Card: GeForce GTX 560 Ti

I had a few concerns,
1. Is the PSU adequate?
2. Is the RAM any good?
3. There seems to be some questions about the motherboard, is it a good one?
4. Will my case be cool enough with just the provided fans?
5. I am a little confused about the video card and way there are different 560 Ti's?
6. Are all the components compatiable?
Any other comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
1. PSU is more than adequate (excellent choice btw). (should handle a SLI config too)

2. G.Skill is very good, just make sure you have clearance between them and your heatsink (the heat spreaders are tall).

3. Usually I go with ASUS, or Gigabyte myself, but I don't see anything glaringly wrong with your choice.

4. The HAF is a monster case, with great airflow. So good there (unless you decide the fans are too loud).

5. The card is fine, the different ones are for: OC (over clocked), Aftermarket cooling, memory amounts/speeds, shaders, and manufacturers.

6. The build looks good to me, I'd get an aftermarket heatsink but that's about it. (be sure to use a 64bit OS)

ct654

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
Ok so after some deliberation I think that this is the system I am going to go with.

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

MOBO: Intel DP67BGB3

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz 6MB

HDD: Intel 320 Series 80 GB SATA 3 Gb-s SSD
and a Western Digital 1 TB SATA 6 GB/s 7200 RPM 64 MB

RAM: Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TC 750-Watt TX Series

Video Card: GeForce GTX 570

Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Monitor: Samsung PX2370

Any comments or concerns over this setup?

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished
why that intel mobo go with the asrock p67 extreme4 for 160$ on newegg i did and i am extremely happy with it . also look into 6950 2gb then adding another in about 2 months time but with the money you saved on the mobo you might be able to afford it now. also get the samsung spinpoint f3 1tb hdd at amazon for 60$ free shipping

ct654

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
I aggree about the Samsung HDD that is the one I am going to get. I think Ill stick with the mobo for some reason I like it enough to justify the price. I really only want one card and I'd rather have Nvidia so I think I am gonna go with the GTX 570.

ct654

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
I looked at the p67 extreme4 and it looks just as good for $20 cheaper. I really like that it had a USB 3.0 front panel. The only problem is that I kind of have to have wireless internet. The intel mobo has a Bluetooth/WiFi module so if I get the p67 extreme I would have to get a wireless card.

I am new to this so would the connection I'd get from the intel board be bad enough to justify getting the other board and buying a wireless card. I am alright with spending a little extra to get what is going to work the best.

If getting a wireless card to go with the extreme4 is the way to go do you have any recommendations? I would like one that has some range and can give me a fast connection for video streaming and game playing.

Tony37x

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

Your build is very similar to mine, I got some pretty good feedback off this forum and made some changes, but I'm pretty set on the Intel Mobo too and have been told by Avadirect.com that it is very stable and reliable which is def my focus after reading so many negative reviews on the top Asus, MSI and Gigabyte boards.

Check it out here when you got a minute: i5-2500K Build :)