• New Build
  • TV
  • Gaming
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
May 17, 2011 12:59:35 AM

currently, i leave my three year-old dell m1330 lapto plugged into my 50" plasma tv 95% of the time and use a wireless mouse and keyboard.

right now, i just use the computer for internet and 720p tv/movies, but am looking to build a pc for that, plus gaming.

budget isn't a huge concern, but i won't be doing anything to labour-intensive hardware wise, and just want to spend whatever is necessary to play the latest games well at max settings outputed to a 720p television.

i haven't played pc games in like ten years, so i really don't know what would be necessary. thanks for any suggested rigs!

More about : build gaming rig 720p

May 17, 2011 2:47:58 PM

although u say that budget isn't a concern we 'd still need to have a rough idea to give u good recommendations.
Since u plan to game. I 'll link u to gaming builds at different price points which will handle ur tv / movies no problem.
500$, 1000$, 2000$
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-cpu-over...
These builds are a starting point to give u an idea. Make changes as per ur requirements / needs.
If something comes up u can always ask here.

Good Luck.
m
l
May 17, 2011 3:56:22 PM

thanks for posting. i guess the reason i didn't give a budget was because i don't know whether a $500 budget gaming pc can play games perfectly at 1280x720 resolution, since that will be my maximum output for the foreseeable future.

if maybe people could post their experience with budget rigs at this resolution that might be helpful.

thanks!
m
l
Related resources
May 17, 2011 5:15:17 PM

thanks for the links. the benchmarks were eye-opening. i'd assumed that there would be a huge drop-off between 1280x720 and whatever huge resolutions gamers choose to play at these days, but it looks like we are talking a difference between 60fps and 50fps.

it looks like every dollar i spend will count, so I will probably look to build a system for around $650 and upgrade down the road win necessary.
m
l
May 17, 2011 5:18:20 PM

Moooney said:
thanks for the links. the benchmarks were eye-opening. i'd assumed that there would be a huge drop-off between 1280x720 and whatever huge resolutions gamers choose to play at these days, but it looks like we are talking a difference between 60fps and 50fps.

so true. many people ignore this fact and get insanely expensive systems.

it looks like every dollar i spend will count, so I will probably look to build a system for around $650 and upgrade down the road win necessary.

sounds like a plan.

Good Luck.

Edit : Oh.. sorry are the italicized comments not noticeable? lol my bad.
m
l
May 17, 2011 6:24:20 PM

gametstr said:
Good Luck.

care to elaborate on why you bolded the 60 to 50fps? did i not read the benchmarks correctly?
m
l
May 18, 2011 4:25:29 PM

Edited to be more readable.
m
l
!