Re-routing incomming connections... or something

dgoldberg

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
I have a computer thats just lying around and i would like to use it to secure my wireless connection (not sure if this is possible)

Would it be possible to set it up so that incomming connections on my routers ip's are validated by a local running vpn. and are then either allowed or denied access to the internet.
sounds logical?

Systems currently running xp, but i do have the technical know how to replace the os, and do any work on the root system that i may have to do.

Please and thanks :D

Solution
You may need 1 more Nic card, maybe a 2nd (3 total) depending on which wireless router you have. You also have to study up on pfSense which is the Operating System that will replace XP on that pc. Dont' worry, its not too difficult.

The Best config I cant thik of offhand has your internet coming into the pfsense box on one nic. PfSense has one nic output to your wired network, and usb or wired nic out to your router.

Have fun learning!

popatim

Titan
You may need 1 more Nic card, maybe a 2nd (3 total) depending on which wireless router you have. You also have to study up on pfSense which is the Operating System that will replace XP on that pc. Dont' worry, its not too difficult.

The Best config I cant thik of offhand has your internet coming into the pfsense box on one nic. PfSense has one nic output to your wired network, and usb or wired nic out to your router.

Have fun learning!

Solution