Q8200 to Phenom II x4 965 performance increase?

Mrbibbins

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
A few months ago I upgraded my GPU, PSU, and some other small parts. Now I'm looking to upgrade to Windows 7 along with a new CPU and Mobo. My current rig is outfitted with an intel q8200 and I want to replace it with an AMD phenom ii x4 965 BE, will I see a noticeable/significant jump in performance? Also this will be my first time crossing an AMD CPU with a Nvidia GPU, is there any issues crossing these two brands? I've been told I might have some unwanted effects but I'm no so sure I believe that.

Considering that the Phenom II x4 965 BE is a little over 1.0GHz faster then the C2Q Q8200, the 965 BE should provide a little better performance. The Phenom II X4 series is about as powerful as the 2nd generation C2Q CPUs (Yorkfield) on a clock for clock basis.

Not sure if it is worth justifying the cost of buying a new motherboard and RAM in addition to the 965BE.

The dual core Core i3-2100 can easily outperform the 965 BE in games. Therefore, I would go with that or save up a little more for a Core i5 CPU for even better performance.

AMD video cards works in nVidia motherboards. nVidia video cards work in AMD motherboards.