Solved

FT03B, i5-2500k, Maximus IV Genie-Z, Strider 750w gold advice on build

I have only built one PC before, a Shuttle with intergrated MOBO and PS in 2005. Ready for something more and have decided the FT-03 is what I needed.

Ordered from Amazon last weekend:
Silverstone FT-03B, $166.80
Strider 75W Gold, $161.20 (been delivered)
CL-CAB40022 SATA to Mini SATA Cable, $2.10 (been delivered)

Picked up from Houston MicroCenter last weekend:
Intel i5-2500k Boxed, $179.99
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $59.00 (limit one per customer)
Samsung Spinpoint F3R 1TB $79.99

Will start ordering more items again next weekend, only buying what we can afford out of pocket each week. Here's what I'm planning and questions.

1. Plan on using ASUS Maximus IV Genie-Z, wish they would hurry up and release it. Will we really have to wait until end of this month before it becomes available in USA?
2. Memory, want to use 4ea 4GB, probably from Newegg, considering G.SKILL. More interested in quantity than speed. Will be using with Photoshop Element and Lightroom 3.
3. Want to use SSD Caching with Z68. More than likely I'll order a Crucial M4 SSD 64GB this week. One spinpoint will hold OS, programs, and normal documents, plus be raid with SSD for SSD Caching. My pictures will be pointed to default onto second spinpoint.
4. Will use PP05 short cables with Strider 750W Gold PS, just need to order the cables.
5. Will use Sony or Panasonic slim CD/DVD/rw. No blueray at this time for me.
6. Any advice for video card? Not a gamer, just want effeciency with no glitches. Running a 23" HD monitor connected via HDMI, and plan to add a second in the near future. Have been looking at ASUS GTX 550i. Just seemed appropriate to install an ASUS card on an ASUS board.
7. CPU heatsink, might dabble at OC in the future. I've been intrigued by the 4.3+ ghz and thinking that 4.3 is what I want to reach. What heatsink, cooler, etc., should I consider?

Will load Windows 7, Adobe Lightroom 3, and Adobe Elements, plus other general stuff. Primary use normal desktop for surfing web, paying bills, and editing my pictures.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ft03b 2500k maximus genie strider 750w gold advice build
  1. Best answer
    ^ You are right that he has chosen good parts, but your mobo suggestion wont suit his requirements as the case wont fit an ATX board,...
    Also IMO Nvidia would be a better option mainly because of CUDA, as it would help in many productivity apps(But if only Photoshop Elements and Lightroom, even AMD graphics would do)...
    The 550 Ti is a good option,...
    EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Includes Photoshop Elements 9 w/ registration - So you get Photoshop Elements 9 free,...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625

Also for Photoshop and such photo-editing apps, more the RAM the better,...
    This is a good kit for the price
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
    20% off w/ promo code EMCKEJG73, ends 5/19
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

Mobo - Check out this one,
    GIGABYTE GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 - Decently priced with nearly all the features, 4 SATA 6GB/s,...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128503

CPU Cooler -
    IMO the H50 would be a very good option,...
    That case can fit the H70(The bigger version of the H50) so should fit the H50 easy,...
    http://images.ncix.com/forumimages/211BF43E-25E5-4285-8FF038CC4D932A74.jpg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181010&cm_re=h50-_-35-181-010-_-Product
  2. Most Adobe photo/video programs are optimized for Nvidia Cuda cores so you definitely want an Nvidia card. How much you need is a question I wouldn't be able to answer but any brand in the 500 series should be fine. There is no benefit (other than athletics) to buying the same brand motherboard as a video card. Personally, I like EVGA and most of their cards come with a limited lifetime warrenty.
  3. Photoshop doesn't use CUDA, except for one or two plug-ins. I believe only one of the video programs does. You will need to do a google search, as you might need to change some .ini files if your card isn't natively supported.
  4. As for a cooler, if the one below will fit in your case, you will hit 4.5+ without breaking a sweat. It will work better and run quieter than an H50.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608019
  5. You've got the budget (based on your component selection) for a nice-sized SSD, so forget about caching and use it as a boot drive (OS and programs). Caching is meant to assist those who can't afford larger (60GB+) SSDs. With the money saved by going with gkay's suggestion for a mobo, you will be able to afford a 120GB SSD and will experience vastly quicker boot and program load times than with caching.
  6. Thanks for all the info guys.
    I have Elements 5.0 and had been thinking about purchasing newer version. So the fact I can purchase EVGA card and receive newer Elements is a bonus and one I will not miss.
    The linked memory and cooler are also nice. This week I will purchase EVGA video card, GSkill memory, and Crucial 64GB M4 SSD, all on sale at NewEgg.
    Cooler will wait another week and I'll get it along with short cables and slim cd/dvd rewriter.
    At this time I will try out SSD caching for the $115 it will cost for 64GB M4 SSD. When I do decide to go with a bootable SSD for OS and programs, it will be next year when 512MB SSD are more affordable.
  7. The linked Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 above does look good and at a very nice price. It'll be another two weeks before I have money set aside for MOBO, so at that time I'll look at all of them and compare to Genie-Z (if released) for price versus features.
  8. I would like a 256MB SSD next year, not a 512MB which was a typo. Any how, even a 128MB cost more than I want to spend on one right now. Primarily only like Crucial M4 and Intel 510 series at the moment.
  9. tripntx said:
    I would like a 256MB SSD next year, not a 512MB which was a typo. Any how, even a 128MB cost more than I want to spend on one right now. Primarily only like Crucial M4 and Intel 510 series at the moment.

Hey, it's your money. Either way (caching or boot), an SSD will improve the responsiveness of your rig. I think the ROG motherboards are overpriced and filled with some fluff, unless you are looking to OC to the limit of your CPU. When you get a Z68 board, make sure that it has Lucid Virtu. I assumed all would, but apparently it's limited to select models. The G-byte boards (like the one mentioned) needs to have the H suffix (ie: UD2H).
  10. nd_hunter said:
    Hey, it's your money. Either way (caching or boot), an SSD will improve the responsiveness of your rig. I think the ROG motherboards are overpriced and filled with some fluff, unless you are looking to OC to the limit of your CPU. When you get a Z68 board, make sure that it has Lucid Virtu. I assumed all would, but apparently it's limited to select models. The G-byte boards (like the one mentioned) needs to have the H suffix (ie: UD2H).

Hello nd_hunter, not planning on pushing OC limit at all. Have never OC before, but really considering doing so just a little, say 4.3 or so.
    As to the MOBO, i've never looked at the ROG boards before. I plan on staying under $180 for MOBO, so the ROG might be out of my range.
    Thanks for info about needing H suffix to have all the Z68 goodies with G-byte MOBO.

Now to were I'm wavering. I had ruled out 128 GB SSD as an OS and Program boot drive because I was under the impression you must frequently fiddle with keeping excess junk delected from them. Is that not a problem with 128 GB sized SSD? If 128 GB will work without constant attention, then I would be happy with one. Then I could use 1TB HD for documents/storage, and 1 TB HD for pictures.

Can 128 GB sized SSD be used without constant attention to size for OS boot and all programs?
  11. Best answer selected by tripntx.
  12. gkay09 said:

EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Includes Photoshop Elements 9 w/ registration - So you get Photoshop Elements 9 free,...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625

Also for Photoshop and such photo-editing apps, more the RAM the better,...
    This is a good kit for the price
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
    20% off w/ promo code EMCKEJG73, ends 5/19
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

Mobo - Check out this one,
    GIGABYTE GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 - Decently priced with nearly all the features, 4 SATA 6GB/s,...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128503

Purchased these items listed above. Went with 4 x 4GB of the memory. Also ordered a Sony slim cd/dvd rw, PP05 short cables, and Win 7 64bit sys builder DVD.

No SSD as boot OS/Program drive or for caching at this time (ran out of cash and not going to charge anything). No 3rd party cooler because I do not plan to OC for a few months.

All the remaining items on order are due for delivery on Thursday, so I will have a fun weekend assembling my new desktop.
  13. ^ Good Luck,... Do let us know how it turns out,... :)
  14. I just built myself an i52500k system, maybe my choices will give you some ideas....
    I needed a small board for my small case so I used an
    MSI Z68ma-ED55 motherboard
    8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 memory
    A Corsair 450 watt power supply from my old quad core
    2 TB hitachi drive from my old quad core
    a Kingston 128 Gb SSD dvive
    An Arctic cooler 7 pro
    and a dirt cheap LG DVD burner

No video card because I'm more into Video editing and photoshop and Word than gaming and the Z68 chipset is designed to do "quick Sync" fast transcoding. IT SURE DOES it fast too ;)

Oh and I let the board overclock itself...... it runs at 4.6 Ghz and is cool. So is the 450 watt power supply. Even after 6 hours of Prime 95
    Maybe the 450 Watt supply would be strained with a monster graphics card like a 260 but for me its great.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product