Sign in with
Your question

Not all motherboard standoffs are pushed in, does it matter?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 29, 2012 1:29:59 PM

I do have all the standoff on the case, but no matter how hard i force it in, only two goes in and the rest is just sitting there, not contacting the motherboard.

Does this matter with my videocard and who do i solve this
a b V Motherboard
April 29, 2012 7:05:53 PM

jaehwanie said:
I do have all the standoff on the case, but no matter how hard i force it in, only two goes in and the rest is just sitting there, not contacting the motherboard.

Does this matter with my videocard and who do i solve this

By standoffs you mean the ones at the back of the motherboard? You should only have some of them in your case.... basically where you see a hole in your motherboard you should have a standoff behind that to screw into. If you have too many standoffs they may be contacting with something on the back of your mobo making it un-even,
m
l
a c 156 V Motherboard
April 29, 2012 7:32:13 PM

Are you using the rectangular metal i/o shield:
http://www.pcguide.com/byop/byop_InstallingtheNewIOShie...
that came with your motherboard?

Are the little springy metal fingers on it properly fitted around the back of the motherboard?

Can you properly fit the motherboard in the case without the i/o shield?
m
l
Related resources
a c 462 V Motherboard
April 29, 2012 9:02:09 PM

are you uses the six brass standoff??? they dont go into the eyelets of the mb you just rest them on top of the mb then screw the mb down. if you have a small felt pen or highlighter put the mb in without any of the standoff or io shields. the mb should line up in 6 or more spots in the case where the vendor drilled some threading. use the small felt pen or highlighter to mark the spots where a standoff has to go.
m
l
April 29, 2012 9:52:24 PM

All the standoffs are in the right spot, it just that it doesn't actually go in my motherboard.

@jsc
Yes I am using the rectangular metal i/o shield, but i think it came with the case not the mobo.

I did have some trouble fitting it in while building the case, is it the problem?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 29, 2012 9:53:31 PM

The shield that comes with the case never fits the mobo lol.. hope you aint broke something =(
m
l
April 29, 2012 10:36:16 PM

What should you do if it didn't come with the mobo? I don't think the shield is the problem though, everything works fine, audio, usb, etc.
m
l
a c 156 V Motherboard
April 30, 2012 1:49:47 AM

Cases usually come with a generic i/o shield that hardly ever fits.

A new, out of the box motherboard always comes with one that fits.

If you pop out the one that came with the case and can properly fit the motherboard without any shield present, you have found your problem.

As long as nothing is shorted, this is a physical problem, not an electrical one.

Look at the bottom of Step 2:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274745-13-step-step...
m
l
April 30, 2012 2:02:47 AM

Oh nvm, I did use the shield that came with the mobo.
m
l
!