Sign in with
Your question

Ati drivers still Garbage even after Amd merge

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 8, 2011 8:58:09 AM

Well after the merge of Amd Ati its sad to see that the drivers are still garbage. People have driver install issues games dont work at times colors are washed out in some games etc. They also fail to put the hdmi drivers in one driver install like Nvidia does . Had a 5770 installed and went back to my old 9800gtX. Had too manny driver install problems. Nvidias drivers are a 1000 times better than Amd/Atis. Amd really needs to get there Act together and quite making garbage drivers. its going to hurt there business and Gpu sales.
March 8, 2011 11:25:57 AM

Well now I know where Nvidia's peen has been.
m
l
March 8, 2011 6:14:30 PM

Carc369 said:
Well now I know where Nvidia's peen has been.

Sorry didnt know you had that problem
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 6:26:00 PM

I've been using the CCC drivers since 8.3 and never had a problem other than 1 time the 3d clocks were not coming down at idle, problem is now fixed. However, Nvidia released drivers that actually killed cards by overheating them.

Funny how all the popular sites and magazines review and benchmark every single ATI model that comes out, and not ONE mention of a driver problem, not even with the new HD6990 they reviewed today, ON THIS SITE. That's pretty amazing huh?

Don't call out a company because you don't know what your doing, that's ignorant.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 6:36:51 PM

Hey, look, another person repeating the old "HURRR AMD'S/ATI'S DRIVERS ARE SUCK" argument that hasn't been true for years.

As said above, it's funny how reviews NEVER seem to say "Oh man, the drivers are crap!" Maybe it's your issue? Maybe you aren't wiping your NVidia drivers right (according to OP, you went from a Nvidia card to an ATI one)?
m
l
March 8, 2011 6:44:53 PM

Oh ya just look at Atis forum i also called Amd and the teck guy said they were having problems with the Latest cat 11.1 and 11.2s how do you explain that?Im runing 9800gtx no overheating issues with drivers ? And by the way i did wipe the drivers its just Atis drivers suck period. Your only defending them because of fanboy base. I dont take sides Nvidias drivers are better wether you admit it or not.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 6:50:20 PM

yeah both camps have there respective issues, if you know what you are doing this shouldnt be a problem, yes its annoying bc you excpect everything to work like it should, which it does, there are plenty of different driver version out there, I have crossfire 6870s and have never had a driver problem, really both companies come out with shoddy drivers at times you can go on with your foaming at the mouth about bad drivers... but if you are having issue with a single card I cannot imagine that you are very well informed on how to deal with a driver conflict... this argument/thread has been made several times on toms and although it has some validity it is kind of a moot argument at this point, enjoy the 9800 gtx, that is until you cannot stand its inferior performance anymore.... :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 6:56:37 PM

yeah using a single forum thread that exists where people of low tech level (amd webpage) are complaining about drivers will not fly on this forum, of course not every driver is going to be perfect, however this is a poor example and really a tiny piece of the pie when speaking in regards to the overall experience of all AMD gpu users. Everyone on this thread so far has basically echoed my sentiments so you can disagree but there are several knowledgeable people telling you otherwise, this is a moot argument, if you like nvidia then stay with nvidia, its as simple as that, you will generally be paying more money for less performance (and marginally and arguably) better drivers. There is nothing wrong with either company but my point is that the driver quality can be quite subjective depending on your system, tech level, and usage
m
l
March 8, 2011 6:57:16 PM

Thats ok ill just get a gtx 460 to fix the performance difference. The one driver install versus Atis 2 driver install with Hdmi seperate proves my point .Wether some of
you Ati fan boys admit it or not Nvidias drivers are better period end of story
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 6:58:00 PM

geekapproved said:
I've been using the CCC drivers since 8.3 and never had a problem other than 1 time the 3d clocks were not coming down at idle, problem is now fixed. However, Nvidia released drivers that actually killed cards by overheating them.

Funny how all the popular sites and magazines review and benchmark every single ATI model that comes out, and not ONE mention of a driver problem, not even with the new HD6990 they reviewed today, ON THIS SITE. That's pretty amazing huh?

Don't call out a company because you don't know what your doing, that's ignorant.

^+100 totally agree
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 7:01:49 PM

Doom3klr said:
Thats ok ill just get a gtx 460 to fix the performance difference. The one driver install versus Atis 2 driver install with Hdmi seperate proves my point .Wether some of

have fun, you are wrong on many levels, the gtx 460 is much faster than a 5770 if that is what you were impling, I'm quite sure you have no idea what you are talking about, did you sweep your previous drivers correctly, what issue are you having exactly? really I don't care but this is just to prove to you that it is a moot argument like I have stated many times already, so you can take offense to it and say that all the people on this thread are wrong and you are right or you can come to your senses and listen to what we are saying
m
l
March 8, 2011 7:03:47 PM

Well it's strange that you claim that the AMD/ATI drivers are good, because last time I checked, with most of their driver updates they claim huge performance increases in all different games, up to 25%! If they had good drivers to start out with, that wouldn't be the case, eh?

Oh, and the 6990 is just like the GTX 480, performs excellently, deafens the user (though the 6990 more than the 480), uses up insane amounts of power, and is hot enough to cook an egg on. I'd rather they kept postponing the release till they sorted out those issues than force the consumer to cope...
m
l
March 8, 2011 7:05:59 PM

And im sure youve had to rienstall windows plenty of times with Ati cards to get those great drivers they make to work properly and install properly lol
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 7:08:19 PM

^ lol never happened
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 7:13:58 PM

PudgyChicken said:
Well it's strange that you claim that the AMD/ATI drivers are good, because last time I checked, with most of their driver updates they claim huge performance increases in all different games, up to 25%! If they had good drivers to start out with, that wouldn't be the case, eh?

Oh, and the 6990 is just like the GTX 480, performs excellently, deafens the user (though the 6990 more than the 480), uses up insane amounts of power, and is hot enough to cook an egg on. I'd rather they kept postponing the release till they sorted out those issues than force the consumer to cope...

not to be rude, but I take issue with this statement, this is just not how it works...

"most of their driver updates they claim huge performance increases in all different games, up to 25%! If they had good drivers to start out with, that wouldn't be the case, eh?"

both sides worked towards increased performance so what the hell are you talking about? This type of statement just shows that you have no clue what it takes and what is produced and underwent by a development team.

the 6990 blows the 480 (not to mention 480 sli) out of the water pal, i too agree that they should have postponed a bit even though my sights were never on that card, but even so from a business standpoint it is better to release a flagship cards with a couple kinks then it is to wait for the competition to release theirs, under that train of thought now when nvidia releases there dual chip it will be competing with the 6990 but the public will already have been broken in by the 6990, that is the idea anyways but it would have been nice to see them refine the product a bit but imo I would not bother with either dual chip on a single gpu solutions, you are better off with dual 6970/50s or dual gtx 580/570s imo forget the 4 gigs of vram that will not be used anytime soon
m
l
March 8, 2011 7:30:16 PM

I'm not trying to say the 480 comes anywhere near the 6990's performance, I'm only saying that the 6990 still needs work. I personally have GTX 480 SLI, and I can barely live with the noise. So a single card that's louder that that baffles me. Also, I'd never go with dual chip solutions either, and the 4GB VRAM is just a showpiece on AMD's part, and yet another feature to jack up the cost of the card.

I'm not biased toward either company, but the AMD/ATI drives DO have their fair share of issues. Sure, Nvidia's do as well, as a matter of fact a few weeks ago one of my 480s was bricked during a driver update (though that may have been MSI's fault for making crap cards...), but AMD/ATI's are more widespread. In this year's graphics battle I'm leaning toward Nvidia, their vapor chamber cooling idea is genius, and the 560Ti (OC'd) is a force to be reckoned with.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 7:46:18 PM

I'll support the guys saying that there's nothing at all wrong with AMD's Radeon drivers. I've been running a 5770, and haven't had one single driver problem or crash with it the entire time I've owned it.
m
l
March 8, 2011 7:52:19 PM

geekapproved said:

Read this

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=194953

and then look at this

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1127/pg9/amd-rade...

Gotta love the Nvidia propaganda.

I'm not an AMD or Nvidia fanboy. I'm a fan of whatever is the best deal that gives me playable framerates for every game at maxed settings. Right now the 6950 does it for me :) 
m
l
March 8, 2011 8:21:20 PM

Hate to troll, but people with lives don't play Dragon Age 2. It's (for lack of a better term) sorta gay... And yes, some games are made to work better on AMD cards, some Nvidia. That's why some games start out with the "Nvidia- the way it's meant to be played" video. And that's one game out of millions. Look at games with lots of PhysX, comparing Nvidia cards to AMD cards with the PhysX hack, the AMD cards still get crushed.
m
l
a c 114 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b À AMD
March 8, 2011 8:34:03 PM

PudgyChicken said:
In this year's graphics battle I'm leaning toward Nvidia, their vapor chamber cooling idea is genius, and the 560Ti (OC'd) is a force to be reckoned with.

You mean like that thing ATI has on the 5770 stock cooler(have you seen how small the actual heatsink is on those things)? Or maybe the fact that AMD was talking about it back in 2008? Do not get me wrong Nvidia has the upper hand in single cards for sure and even SLI scales better in some cases. But the fact is, this is a leap frog game and always will be. My next card will be what ever is fastest at the time. Currently a 5870 does what I need it to.

Nvidia also gets a bit of help from its way its meant to be played optimizing campaign.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 8:37:42 PM

PudgyChicken said:
Hate to troll, but people with lives don't play Dragon Age 2. It's (for lack of a better term) sorta gay... And yes, some games are made to work better on AMD cards, some Nvidia. That's why some games start out with the "Nvidia- the way it's meant to be played" video. And that's one game out of millions. Look at games with lots of PhysX, comparing Nvidia cards to AMD cards with the PhysX hack, the AMD cards still get crushed.

So you start off with an ad hominem attack because the person was pointing out an example of a game that runs better on ATI/AMD cards (to counter the broad generalization that AMD's drivers are somehow inferior), and then in answer to a post talking about Nvidia propaganda you announce that you actually believe the companies that sell-out to Nvidia for advertisement actually build their games to run better on Nvidia? No, "the way it's meant to be played" means "Nvidia paid us millions to put this 5 second ad in our game's startup to imply that Nvidia cards will run this game better, whether or not they actually do."

And it's not too long till PhysX (or its equivalent) is an expected part of a video card's features list... of course AMD cards don't run PhysX as well, they don't have the architecture for it. They're designed with other things in mind.
m
l
March 8, 2011 8:49:12 PM

Doom3klr said:
Well after the merge of Amd Ati

Oh my! Is this a recent development?

Glad you brought the terrible drivers to my attention, I'll be switching back to Nvidia this evening.

*phew*
m
l
March 8, 2011 8:52:41 PM

Doom3klr said:
Amd really needs to get there Act together and quite making garbage drivers. its going to hurt there business and Gpu sales.

Oh, and you really need to get your spelling and grammar together ;) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2011 9:02:24 PM

Doom3klr said:
Oh ya just look at Atis forum i also called Amd and the teck guy said they were having problems with the Latest cat 11.1 and 11.2s how do you explain that?Im runing 9800gtx no overheating issues with drivers ? And by the way i did wipe the drivers its just Atis drivers suck period. Your only defending them because of fanboy base. I dont take sides Nvidias drivers are better wether you admit it or not.

I think the problem is with you. I have several ATi cards and, just like with everything else, have had issues from time to time. These issues are, however, no more frequent or problematic than those I've had with nVIDIA cards. You are clearly taking a side. It almost sounds that you're blaming AMD for your inadequacies.

Doom3klr said:

I've never had to install multiple drivers. I tend to install the all in one Catalyst driver package. The fact that AMD allows you to pick and choose which components you wish to install (as well as offering the whole package in one download) is a FEATURE not a problem. This is something nVIDIA lacks and ought to implement.

Doom3klr said:
And im sure youve had to rienstall windows plenty of times with Ati cards to get those great drivers they make to work properly and install properly lol

No. Again... that's because the problem is with YOU... not ATi/AMD. YOU are a n00b.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2011 12:01:49 AM

PudgyChicken said:
I'm not trying to say the 480 comes anywhere near the 6990's performance, I'm only saying that the 6990 still needs work. I personally have GTX 480 SLI, and I can barely live with the noise. So a single card that's louder that that baffles me. Also, I'd never go with dual chip solutions either, and the 4GB VRAM is just a showpiece on AMD's part, and yet another feature to jack up the cost of the card.

I'm not biased toward either company, but the AMD/ATI drives DO have their fair share of issues. Sure, Nvidia's do as well, as a matter of fact a few weeks ago one of my 480s was bricked during a driver update (though that may have been MSI's fault for making crap cards...), but AMD/ATI's are more widespread. In this year's graphics battle I'm leaning toward Nvidia, their vapor chamber cooling idea is genius, and the 560Ti (OC'd) is a force to be reckoned with.

oh ok, yeah i imagine sli 480 being damn loud, my 6870 crossfire can get loud but not too bad, the vapor chamber is a great design! my 6870s never really go above 68C with a 1 to 1 fan profile in msi afterburner ie 50C 50% fan etc, bottom line the 6990 def needs work
m
l
March 9, 2011 2:51:36 AM

The only Noobs here are you Dam Ati tree huggers that fail to admit the truth. Atis drivers suck and Nvidias are better period end of story! Not a spelling be either fan boy.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
March 9, 2011 3:04:48 AM

Unlike half of you fan boys I own and use both. ATI drives over the past decade have always been natorius for low quality and having many issues. Nvidia, 3dfx, powerVR, Cirrus Logic, VLSI, and a bunch more that I have had in my time with computers new and old as a collector. As a active member here on the forum I take note of the common issues that are being reported often and complaints about ati drivers are by far the most common complaint about any graphics related driver issues period. Very few are mentioned about Nvidia and Intel. Hell S3 beats Intel in that list with people not being able to find drivers for their out dated cards. So you ATI fan boy Ctrl + Alt + remove your heads from your rears and get real. You got what you payed for and stop acting that is the only game in town.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2011 3:21:38 AM

To be honest I have less issues with AMD drivers then I do Nvidia ones. This applies to both my single card and my dual card solutions, as I have six computers in my home, and one of them is a Crossfire set up, and another is a SLI one. Im not saying that its often either, because its not. I just happen to run into more issues here and there on the Nvidia stuff then the other is all. I think the last real problem I ran into on the SLi setup was weird texture issues on Farcry 2. I have not re-ran the game yet with the newest driver to see if that was resolved. Well, that and the Nvidia Physx installer attached to Dark Void busted Physx and had to be removed and the latest Physx reinstalled again.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2011 3:24:54 AM

who gives a damn buy what you like
m
l
March 9, 2011 4:33:49 AM

geekapproved said:

Not true. I quote from the review of the 6990 -

One interesting note: at 1680x1050, exclusively, testing on the Radeon HD 6990 with the Catalyst 11.4 preview driver caused shimmering/flickering to appear in Lost Planet 2’s setup menu. This wasn’t the only game we saw this, and when we dropped in other cards, using the same driver, we could reproduce it. AMD confirmed it saw the same artifact and claimed restarting the game should fix it, but we weren’t able to get it to go away.

Incidentally, World of Warcraft is the other game where AMD’s beta driver exhibits a flickering/shimmering menu screen at 1680x1050.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2011 4:58:10 AM

LFaWolf said:
Not true. I quote from the review of the 6990 -

One interesting note: at 1680x1050, exclusively, testing on the Radeon HD 6990 with the Catalyst 11.4 preview driver caused shimmering/flickering to appear in Lost Planet 2’s setup menu. This wasn’t the only game we saw this, and when we dropped in other cards, using the same driver, we could reproduce it. AMD confirmed it saw the same artifact and claimed restarting the game should fix it, but we weren’t able to get it to go away.

Incidentally, World of Warcraft is the other game where AMD’s beta driver exhibits a flickering/shimmering menu screen at 1680x1050.

Testing with a release of Catalyst that hasn't even come out yet, with a single isolated issue (flickering menu screen) at a single isolated resolution (1680x1050) in a few tested games (with numerous other games in the same review apparently unaffected).

Clearly the driver is complete trash. Nvidia has NEVER had highly isolated issues with its drivers, because it is perfect.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
March 9, 2011 6:22:45 AM

i have never had driver issues with any ati card ive owned, the only real problem ive had was with a nvidia riva 128 that didnt support open gl till a later release. but then of course, i know what im doing when it comes to computers and know how to troubleshoot problems and dont just trash a company because i cant get something to work.
m
l
March 9, 2011 6:30:38 AM

2008 Nvidia chips kill Laptops
2010 Nvidia drivers kill graphics cards
2010/11 compatibility issues with NVidia 400/500-series GPUs & mainboards

Just 2 days ago:
Dragon Age 2 does not run on any 400/500 series cards in DX11

Yeah.
/thread
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2011 6:32:24 AM

1898 said:
2008 Nvidia chips kill Laptops
2010 Nvidia drivers kill graphics cards
2010/11 compatibility issues with NVidia 400/500-series GPUs & mainboards

Just 2 days ago:
Dragon Age 2 does not run on any 400/500 series cards in DX11

"Nvidia has NEVER had highly isolated issues with its drivers, because it is perfect."
And now, troll away.

You do realize that I was making a broad, untrue generalization?
m
l
March 9, 2011 8:46:53 AM

Doom3klr said:
Well after the merge of Amd Ati its sad to see that the drivers are still garbage. People have driver install issues games dont work at times colors are washed out in some games etc. They also fail to put the hdmi drivers in one driver install like Nvidia does . Had a 5770 installed and went back to my old 9800gtX. Had too manny driver install problems. Nvidias drivers are a 1000 times better than Amd/Atis. Amd really needs to get there Act together and quite making garbage drivers. its going to hurt there business and Gpu sales.

Seriously I have owned a 5770 for some time now (must be a year or so...) and have never had the problems you describe! Are you uninstalling the old drivers completely before installing the new ones? That's what I do and I have never had a problem... currently running 11.2 No point bagging a product if you don't have the smarts to configure it properly! "A poor tradesman always blames his tools"
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2011 8:58:44 AM

I'm going to go against what a lot of people here say, and I'll say that in my experience, ATI's drivers are garbage. So are Nvidia's. I can't think of a single thing which has caused me more headaches with my rig than graphics drivers, and belive me, I've tried both brands. Yes, both brands have functional drivers (once installed), but I'm always at least a little bit afraid to update because more than once, it results in a five hour journey through safe mode and various driver cleaners before the stupid drivers get working again. I've switched back and forth several times, and this is always the case.

(Admittedly this is mostly due to multi-GPU setups. Single GPU drivers from both seem pretty good, but getting appropriate performance from multi-GPU setups can be a rather enormous headache. Nvidia optimus has lead to more than one case of extreme frustration as well)

Interestingly enough, Intel's drivers have been completely headache-free for me, and are rock-solid stable. Unfortunately, they lack the features and performance for games, so they aren't really an option, but for solid, simple operation, they beat both Nvidia and ATI in my opinion.
m
l
March 9, 2011 8:30:13 PM

cjl said:
I'm going to go against what a lot of people here say, and I'll say that in my experience, ATI's drivers are garbage. So are Nvidia's. I can't think of a single thing which has caused me more headaches with my rig than graphics drivers, and belive me, I've tried both brands. Yes, both brands have functional drivers (once installed), but I'm always at least a little bit afraid to update because more than once, it results in a five hour journey through safe mode and various driver cleaners before the stupid drivers get working again. I've switched back and forth several times, and this is always the case.

(Admittedly this is mostly due to multi-GPU setups. Single GPU drivers from both seem pretty good, but getting appropriate performance from multi-GPU setups can be a rather enormous headache. Nvidia optimus has lead to more than one case of extreme frustration as well)

Interestingly enough, Intel's drivers have been completely headache-free for me, and are rock-solid stable. Unfortunately, they lack the features and performance for games, so they aren't really an option, but for solid, simple operation, they beat both Nvidia and ATI in my opinion.

So let me get this straight. You are comparing Intel's drivers to SLI/Crossfire setup drivers even after you just stated that single GPU drivers from ATI/AMD and Nvidia seem pretty good?

m
l
March 9, 2011 8:41:54 PM

wannaturnuptheheat said:
Testing with a release of Catalyst that hasn't even come out yet, with a single isolated issue (flickering menu screen) at a single isolated resolution (1680x1050) in a few tested games (with numerous other games in the same review apparently unaffected).

Clearly the driver is complete trash. Nvidia has NEVER had highly isolated issues with its drivers, because it is perfect.

I was refuting what the other person said - "Funny how all the popular sites and magazines review and benchmark every single ATI model that comes out, and not ONE mention of a driver problem, not even with the new HD6990 they reviewed today, ON THIS SITE. That's pretty amazing huh? "

Funny no one here can read.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2011 8:42:39 PM

I don't think its even fair to compare Intel's drivers to that of Nvidia or AMD's drivers. The requirements placed upon the gpu's from Intel by the end user vary drastically to that of the Nvidia and AMD user. I dont know anyone trying to use Intel gpus to do even moderate or light gaming. I could care less how stable or wtf ever Intels gpu can do sitting there idle in Windows. The fact remains its not going to run Split Second or Metro 2033 for me, so who cares? Intel's stuff is great for the common guy who just browses on the net, watches porn, and blogs about his wife cheating on him last thursday on some basic Dell desktop, but otherwise its not even remotely up to snuff with anything AMD and Nvidia put out.
m
l
March 9, 2011 9:20:01 PM

professorprofessorson said:
I don't think its even fair to compare Intel's drivers to that of Nvidia or AMD's drivers. The requirements placed upon the gpu's from Intel by the end user vary drastically to that of the Nvidia and AMD user. I dont know anyone trying to use Intel gpus to do even moderate or light gaming. I could care less how stable or wtf ever Intels gpu can do sitting there idle in Windows. The fact remains its not going to run Split Second or Metro 2033 for me, so who cares? Intel's stuff is great for the common guy who just browses on the net, watches porn, and blogs about his wife cheating on him last thursday on some basic Dell desktop, but otherwise its not even remotely up to snuff with anything AMD and Nvidia put out.

Exactly. Intel shouldn't even be mentioned here. It's like arguing about Ferrari/Lamborghini reliability and then saying "A Toyota Prius is pretty reliable".
m
l
March 9, 2011 9:21:13 PM

I have to add my two cents. I always have had trouble with ATI drivers. Switching to Nvidia was fantastic. Now, I have the 5850 and I wish I had a similar card for Nvidia.
m
l
March 9, 2011 9:27:30 PM

cactusgod said:
I have to add my two cents. I always have had trouble with ATI drivers. Switching to Nvidia was fantastic. Now, I have the 5850 and I wish I had a similar card for Nvidia.

I had a 5850 and a 5870 and trust me I know. I was about to get a GTX 580 after my experience with ATI drivers but then I found out about the unlocking capabilities of the 6950 and went that route. Getting a $370 card for $230 was too good of a deal to pass up. The single-GPU drivers for the 6xxx series have been flawless as of now.
m
l
March 9, 2011 10:06:37 PM

someguynamedmatt said:
I'll support the guys saying that there's nothing at all wrong with AMD's Radeon drivers. I've been running a 5770, and haven't had one single driver problem or crash with it the entire time I've owned it.

Agreed - I originally ugraded my on board Nviida 6150 to an AMD 4350 using the drivers and CCC from the install disk. More recently I upgraded to an AMD 5570 using the install disk and everything works fine.
Dave
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2011 10:52:22 PM

well back to the OP: why would you upgrade from a 9800 gtx to a 5770 in the first place? not a very big jump and not a smart purchase imo so you might as well return the 5770 if you can, or sell it
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 10, 2011 2:22:45 AM

Carc369 said:
So let me get this straight. You are comparing Intel's drivers to SLI/Crossfire setup drivers even after you just stated that single GPU drivers from ATI/AMD and Nvidia seem pretty good?

I did say that they weren't really an option for high performance, but in terms of pure stability, they've been better than even the single GPU setups from ATI or Nvidia for me. It's very true that it's not a completely fair comparison though, due to the monumental difference in performance.

(I can still wish for solid, easy to use drivers that just work though...)
m
l
March 30, 2011 11:21:17 PM

thats funny the origin of this problem is dual 6990 in xfire and i have the same with amd phenom IIx6 on asus crosshair IV formula mobo, 4 x 2gb crucial ballistix, awaiting koolance 6990 waterblocks to take the place of my old 5970 b/e waterblocks - zalman gs1000 plus case, complete koolance 3/8" ID 1/2 OD system cpu, nb/sb, radiator w/ four 120mm fans rated for 1300W cooling... apparently its not the driver... only problem i have is a fail in gta IV to change settings which will likely be fixed shortly in an update - no problems in FO3/NV - COD MW2 or BO - EQ2/WOW - no problems in majority of MAME or MESS - maybe its the cooling thats disrupting the hardware causing your OC to fail when it engages? no problems here with either 11.2 (initial release that came with my XFX 6990s) or the 11.4 preview driver package - either someone is a nvidia fanboy or is trolling me thinks since the gtx 590 has been beaten in 85% of benchmark categories by the 6990 even though the 590 is a week old and the 6990 is nearly 2 months old - epic fail fanboy trash mmmkay cya thx i can haz cheezburger nao? oh by the way i had to edit this - while im waiting for the 6990 waterblocks to ship - i've played everything at max settings, AA, textures, 1920x1080 for up to 6hrs or so and WITHOUT the waterblocks to date theyre still quieter than my old 5970 b/e cards - the nvidia fanboy sound test with 100% fan speed vs the gtx 590 95% fan speed (max settings) is an illusion the card has not kicked up in speed or temperature thus far two weeks since i've owned the 6990s to cause 60db worth of sound that is the max in the video... stop trolling dammit
m
l
!