Tags:
  • New Build
  • Graphics Cards
  • Processors
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
May 17, 2011 5:57:30 AM

I'm planning to buy build a new system with a 10/100/1000T Gigabit onboard LAN & 4GB DDR3 RAM, no graphics card and may upgrade RAM from 4GB TO 8 GB in future. My budget is around $ 300 for mobo and processor and have 2 options : either go in for a more powerful processor (i5-2500k?) costing $ 200 and a cheap $100 mobo OR get a good quality $ 200 mobo and a cheaper processor like a $100 i3-2100.

Which option of the 2 above makes more sense :

a. Keeping performace in mind
b. Considering the Upgrade path...as I plan to upgrade either the processor or the mobo 12 months subsequent to the release of Ivybridge/2011 platform.

Can you recommend a good processor and mobo along with must have features/specs

Current configuration:

Boot using Win XP O/S and use for surfing and documentation(internal HDD1).

HDD2 has VMWARE virtual machine environment that has a demo ERP package under & WIN SERVER 2003. There are 3 partitions having a 470 GB (Core ERP), 230 GB (CRM) & 220 GB (Business Intelligence) file respectively. These files are images/clone of demo environment installated on other system.

Following are the two scenarios that are applicable:

a. HDD 1: Primary 250 GB SATA II 3.5" HDD, for booting, win xp
HDD 2: 1 TB SATA II 3.5" HDD (internal); 3 partitions, each with one image/clone file 470 GB,230 GB & 220 GB apart
from a VMWare file.

Curent Usage:
Online training (watching and downloading) HD audio & videos on a upto 1 Mbps connection; Almost never play games.
Practicing on ERP demo environments.

More about : suggestions processor mobo

a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2011 7:24:20 AM

^ IMO a faster CPU + a decent Mobo would be the way to go,...

CPU - If no overclocking, then the i5 2500 will also do, but the K version has unlocked multiplier and a more power graphic chip onboard...

Mobo -
GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - The Z68 supposedly has support for the Ivy bridge too,..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a c 120 U Graphics card
May 17, 2011 6:11:27 PM

less expensive motherboards and faster processors are the way to go. no need for the "68" series either. don't even need the fastest ram that some people suggest. the board listed above is decent.
m
l
!