Strange new install problem?

deek1000

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Hi

Just installed a new Asus sabretooth motherboard and a Thermalright true spirit 140

The problem now is, when I power up everything runs fine for about 10 to 20 minutes.

Then, all the case fans in my Antec 900 and 2 as well as the PSU fan stop spinning, all the led lights go out as well.
My graphics card and the newly installed CPU fan are still spinning fine.

There is still power going to the CPU and GPU as I can run games on full settings etc, just I cant cool the system anymore apart from the graphics and CPU as that fans are fine.

Also, sometimes when running a game, the case fans speed up, you can hear them also, this is very strange as there is no fan control on them, they are powered straight from the psu

Thanks.

Antec 9 hundred and 2 case
Jeantech storm 700 watt modular PSU
AMD Phenom 965 3.4 ghz
MSI twin frozr 3 GTX 570
Asus sabretooth 990FX
8 GB Kingston hyper x blu RAM

xunicronx

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
You used thermal past right? or no. Your power supply seems kinda shady. I've never heard of Jeantech before. I'm not saying it's bad or anything, I'm just saying I've never heard of it. Do you have another power supply you can try?

deek1000

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Hi

Yep,used arctic silver, the CPU temps are really good, It's just strange the case fans are powering down, my cpu is only at 35 degrees when this happens so it's not an overheating issue.

Thanks for the reply.

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Well, the PSU fan is powered from the PSU itself and as far as I am aware if has NO connection to the PC, thus, if the PSU fan is not running it's the PSU at fault.

Stop using it RIGHT NOW and replace the damn thing, if the fans are working, goodness knows what else this dud PSU is doing to your system!

InvalidError

Titan

That's one weird problem. If all your fans are plugged directly to the PSU's Molex connectors with no fan controller, the only thing that would cause all of them to stop at the same time would be if the 12V rail that feeds them decided to shut down. In that case, it is a pretty big coincidence that none of your other hardware happens to be on that rail.

Maybe the second 12V rail shut down due to low-load due to only having case fans/lights on it which may be insufficient to reach the rail's minimum load requirement. If this is the case, you may need to swap power connections around to increase the load on the 12V rail that feeds your fans.

deek1000

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012

Yep it is really weird, at this moment all my fans have just shut down, all led lights are of and the PSU fan and led has stopped, everything else is running great and I can even game with my GTX 570 as it is getting enough power, really weird, I thought it is maybe some setting in the Bios of the new motherboard I installed, but that doesent make any sense.

Just to add as I am typing this all my fans just turned on again.

Thanks for all the replys.