windows XP performance (laptop) getting worse over time

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 18, 2005 8:48:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have owned my laptop for about 2 years (1.4MHZ pentium M)
I use diskeeper to keep my hard drive defragged, I use Ace utilities to
keep my registry clean, use 3 different spyware removers and norton
antivirus to keep my system clean, I also run msconfig regularly to
limit programs that run on startup. Although I have quite a few
applications running in the background, I just added RAM for a total of
1G, yet windows performance is slow. Loading applications and
performing other tasks on my friends IBM thinkpad is much quicker.
Although he has a 1.7 pentium M, this should not make a significant
difference. I do notice that my hard drive seems to be working overtime
as I almost constantly hear it clicking away. My drive is about 75%
full, could this be part of the problem? I vaugely remember hearing
that hard drive performance seriously degrades as they reach capacity.
If this isn't the problem, I am out of ideas. People recommend I do a
clean install of Windows, but takes a serious amount of time.
Any other recommendations?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 18, 2005 9:24:08 PM

First off, clean install every year or so is a normal, and excellent
idea. Don't want to do it every year? Get an imaging util, right
after clean install, and making sure everything is there as it should
be, IMAGE (snapshot) the dang thing. So next time, you just reload
the image, a quick and almost automated process.

Meanwhile, right after u boot up, how much physical mem do u still
have avail? how big is your swap file? I can't believe with 1G your
HD still comes on often.
May 19, 2005 12:18:33 AM

<techman41973@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have owned my laptop for about 2 years (1.4MHZ pentium M)
> I use diskeeper to keep my hard drive defragged, I use Ace utilities to
> keep my registry clean, use 3 different spyware removers and norton
> antivirus to keep my system clean, I also run msconfig regularly to
> limit programs that run on startup. Although I have quite a few
> applications running in the background, I just added RAM for a total of
> 1G, yet windows performance is slow. Loading applications and
> performing other tasks on my friends IBM thinkpad is much quicker.
> Although he has a 1.7 pentium M, this should not make a significant
> difference. I do notice that my hard drive seems to be working overtime
> as I almost constantly hear it clicking away. My drive is about 75%
> full, could this be part of the problem? I vaugely remember hearing
> that hard drive performance seriously degrades as they reach capacity.
> If this isn't the problem, I am out of ideas. People recommend I do a
> clean install of Windows, but takes a serious amount of time.
> Any other recommendations?

Windows operating systems tend to degrade over time. If you have not
re-formatted your computer in two years, maybe it is time to do it. I'll
second the suggestion about the clean install of windows.
What I do is having two partitions, system and data. Last time I reformated
I prettty much setup all what I needed and then made in image using
powerquest driveimage. Its then very easy to restore into the system
partition when you do the next cleanup....

guillermo
Related resources
May 19, 2005 4:55:28 AM

In comp.sys.laptops techman41973@yahoo.com wrote:
: I have owned my laptop for about 2 years (1.4MHZ pentium M)
: I use diskeeper to keep my hard drive defragged, I use Ace utilities to
: keep my registry clean, use 3 different spyware removers and norton
: antivirus to keep my system clean, I also run msconfig regularly to
: limit programs that run on startup

Have you tried disabling your virus scanner to see if it helps the
problem? I've heard of anti-virus software slowing down systems
significantly. I keep my Windows firewall on but do not use any
anti-virus software; I have installed a lot of software on my Windows
XP laptop, it has 512MB of RAM, and two years later it still runs very
well, not slow at all. I don't have a special hard drive (40GB,
4200RPM) - I have nearly filled it up several times and haven't
defragged in a while. I have never re-installed Windows.

I assume you've done all the Windows updates?

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

Andrew wrote:

> In comp.sys.laptops techman41973@yahoo.com wrote:
> : I have owned my laptop for about 2 years (1.4MHZ pentium M)
> : I use diskeeper to keep my hard drive defragged, I use Ace utilities to
> : keep my registry clean, use 3 different spyware removers and norton
> : antivirus to keep my system clean, I also run msconfig regularly to
> : limit programs that run on startup
>
> Have you tried disabling your virus scanner to see if it helps the
> problem? I've heard of anti-virus software slowing down systems
> significantly. I keep my Windows firewall on but do not use any
> anti-virus software; I have installed a lot of software on my Windows
> XP laptop, it has 512MB of RAM, and two years later it still runs very
> well, not slow at all. I don't have a special hard drive (40GB,
> 4200RPM) - I have nearly filled it up several times and haven't
> defragged in a while. I have never re-installed Windows.
>
> I assume you've done all the Windows updates?
>
> Andrew
> --
> ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
> ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
> ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address

system at the top of its performance. The first thing one should do is
to dedicate a machine (or a user's configuration) for trying out new
programs. Uninstalling them does not bring back the system to its
original condition. Restoring the registry after each unistall of a
program you do not intend to keep is another avenue which I personally
favor because, although dll's files might remain on the system, they
will not load end up loading up at startup. Windows'performance does not
degrade over time, it degrades because of the addition of drivers and
dll's that load with Windows. Sure, it requires some discipline, but
using caution and restraint while experimenting with new programs is the
best way to maintain acceptable performance.

Reformatting and reloading Windows is a very painful process for users
who do not satisfy themselves with a basic configuration. It would take
me days to restore my configuration with all its fonctionnalities, not
to mention the frustration of having to discover anew all the tricks
which allowed me to regain some flexibility over the childish windows
default approach.

Regards

--
John Doue