Sign in with
Your question

Will a Sapphire hd6870 crossfire fit in asus maximus gen-z?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 29, 2012 11:27:28 PM

Hi, im going to buy that motherboard because i can get it at a nice price, i already have a sapphire hd6870. I see that there is not a lot of space between the pce slots in this board, so im not sure if i can put another card because hd6870 is a big card. Do you think a crossfire of that card is possible in that board?
Thanks and regards!!
a c 160 V Motherboard
April 30, 2012 1:30:21 AM

I have that mobo with a 7950 (1.5" wide) - I think you're about the same, if so, it would be a tight fit. I am told that they would still get airflow like that... hmmm
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2012 3:38:28 AM

Most HD 6870 Cards are two slot cards. That means that two slots are used up on the back panel of the case and that you cannot install another card in the adjacent slot below the card. However, the Maximus IV Gene-Z allows two double slot cards to be placed into the PCIe x16 slots because the PCIe x16 slots have one empty slot between them. Therefore you should be able to install a second HD 6870 card into the second PCIe x16 slot and run them in crossfire. You will not, however be able to use the PCIe x4 slot below the second PCIe x16 slot.
Related resources
April 30, 2012 6:00:03 AM

Thanks, im not going to use the pci x4 slot(i dont use sound cards, and other components), i just want a budget gamer pc, and if i can put another 6870 i would be happy.

And another thing, what ram memory do you recommend me? Gskills, hyperx or corsair vengeance? I think they have the same performance.
Thanks!!
a c 160 V Motherboard
April 30, 2012 6:13:43 AM

Farfly said:

And another thing, what ram memory do you recommend me? Gskills, hyperx or corsair vengeance? I think they have the same performance.
Thanks!!

Any one of those should be fine. For best performance look at the available ram timings, not so much the speed - stick with 1.5V (or lower) ram 8GB would be plenty
April 30, 2012 6:24:50 AM

Ok, i wll buy gskills 8gbs.
Now, i see your videocard and it is 3.81 cm tall while my 6870 is 4 cm, do you think is still possible to put another card?, i think if i do that they would be touching each other.
a c 160 V Motherboard
April 30, 2012 6:48:19 AM

I think you could squeeze them in- I wonder about airflow though cause it would be tight (I don't think they'd be touching). I figured if I X-Fire mine, I'll have one on water because of airflow concern.
!