Sign in with
Your question

CPU Temperatures

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 12, 2011 6:36:52 PM

Hey everyone, I have recently discovered my cpu has been reaching some high temperatures, and I have no idea how to stop this. my cpu is the new sandybridge i5-2500k, and its reaching even 80 degrees celcius when playing some games. I'm currently using the stock fan and just added some arctic silver 5 which didn't really help. What could I do to stop these high temperatures, I know its not safe for a cpu to be 80c.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, I'm new to tom's hardware

Thanks

More about : cpu temperatures

a c 79 à CPUs
August 12, 2011 6:45:35 PM

is the hsf fitted properly? they are tricky
m
l
August 12, 2011 7:12:38 PM

Its a pushpin one, but yeah, it should be on correctly. maybe I should try an aftermarket heatsink cooler. But, my friends have never had a problem with their temps. I'm getting around 40c when absolutely nothing is running, yet one of my friends runs at least 6 programs, a ton of tabs in chrome and sometimes even 2 games as well, and he only reaches 50c and he's using the stock cooler as well.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2011 7:19:31 PM

If the heat sink is seated properly I guess most probably it might be defective better yet grab an aftermarket cooler just to be safe. Hyper 212 is the cheapest yet reliable in keeping those temps down.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
August 12, 2011 7:42:32 PM

cynda, the case makes a big difference also. So does the ambient air temps. If your system is in a warmer room than your friend's system, your system wil run hotter.
m
l
August 12, 2011 7:51:27 PM

My computer is in a closed room where at times the air does get hot. I might try buying another case fan as well, though, if possible, I'd rather go with something better than the 212+, but thanks for all of your suggestions and comments.
m
l
!