  • Playstation
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
July 1, 2004 12:41:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_n...

Sony denies delay to PSP launch

Rob Fahey 12:43 01/07/2004
Analyst stirs the hornet's nest with warning of delay, but are the
claims justified?

SCEA has issued a statement reaffirming that the company is on track
to launch the PSP on schedule, responding to comments from analyst
P.J. McNealy who argued that technical and business problems could
cause the launch of the device to slip.

McNealy issued a memo to that effect yesterday, arguing that the March
2005 launch date for the platform in North America looked likely to
slip on the grounds of both third-party publisher issues, and problems
within Sony itself.

He believes that the apparent late arrival of PSP development kits
could cause major problems for the platform; "from a developer's
perspective, they would ideally already have had an SDK for a March
2005 launch, as the later the arrival of an SDK into July or August,
the odds of having a game ready drop," his memo claims.

He goes on to argue that the launch could also be delayed by "internal
issues for Sony with the PSP that are not only technical, but also
business-model related," citing the need for support for the device
from both Sony Pictures and Sony Music as well as from the Sony
Computer Entertainment division.

McNealy points out that the multimedia nature of the PSP means that
development kits for the platform need to be made available to movie,
music and TV media companies as well as to game developers, which adds
further complication to the situation.

However, Sony Computer Entertainment America responded to the memo by
saying that " we are on track with the launch timeline disclosed at E3
2004" - which calls for a launch in Japan before the end of this year,
and US and European launches in Q1 2005 - and indeed, certain aspects
of McNealy's note don't hold up well to further scrutiny.

For a start, while many studios don't have final PSP development kits
as yet, they have been working with emulation toolkits and - in some
cases - early development hardware for some time, and quite a number
of games for the platform are already well-progressed.

Although obviously developers would prefer to be working with final
development systems, conversations with those working on technology
and titles for the new handheld suggest that the emulation systems are
perfectly capable as a development platform - at least in the early to
mid-stages of the cycle.

The argument that movie studios need development kits also assumes a
number of things; firstly, that they actually need SDKs to build their
content onto the UMD discs (they'll certainly need some information
and hardware, but this is likely to be much simpler than the game
software development kits), and secondly, that they don't already have
those products. The procedure for porting a title from DVD onto UMD is
also an extremely simple one compared to game development, and
shouldn't take more than a few days - so the timescales are far less
pressing.

As for the music studios, it seems increasingly unlikely that they'll
be asked to put their content onto the UMD disc format. Our money
would be on Sony pushing the PSP's music functionality as a part of
its Connect Music Store - an existing service, similar to Apple's
iTunes, which would allow users to purchase music tracks and save them
onto the Memory Stick storage in the PSP for use as a portable player.

More about : sony denies psp delay

July 2, 2004 8:56:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

> As for the music studios, it seems increasingly unlikely that they'll
> be asked to put their content onto the UMD disc format. Our money
> would be on Sony pushing the PSP's music functionality as a part of
> its Connect Music Store - an existing service, similar to Apple's
> iTunes, which would allow users to purchase music tracks and save them
> onto the Memory Stick storage in the PSP for use as a portable player.

Which means you can forget about widespread usage of the PSP for music.
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 2:11:43 AM

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 poldy <poldy@kfu.com> wrote:

> > As for the music studios, it seems increasingly unlikely that they'll
> > be asked to put their content onto the UMD disc format. Our money
> > would be on Sony pushing the PSP's music functionality as a part of
> > its Connect Music Store - an existing service, similar to Apple's
> > iTunes, which would allow users to purchase music tracks and save them
> > onto the Memory Stick storage in the PSP for use as a portable player.

> Which means you can forget about widespread usage of the PSP for music.

Either that, or someone will create some MP3 software for the PSP.

Otherwise, yeah, why bother with yet another incompatible, limited music
format?
!