Looking to start over for Star Wars:TOR game

Advection

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Hi, I'm going to be playing SW:TOR (Star Wars: The Old Republic) when it comes out this fall or early next year. I'm basically starting from scratch, since my current computer could barely run WoW on low settings. The system specs are not out for the game currently, but I would rather overdo it than not have it perform well. I'm hoping to run the game on high settings if possible.

My budget is anywhere up to $1300, but I'm not rigid in that--I can go higher if I need to--and I want to hopefully buy a computer that will last 3-4 years of gaming or more. My brother has built computers in the past and I could also learn how to build it, so if parts are easier to get or cheaper, that's great too.

I would really appreciate any help and guidance in good setups. I would like Windows 7 if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Advection

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: 1-2 Months

Budget Range: 800-1300 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Watching Movies, Surfing the Internet

Parts Not Required: Mouse (Possibly monitor as well, if need be)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Intel motherboard.

Overclocking: No clue what this means.

SLI or Crossfire: Once again, no clue what this means.

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900 on my current monitor.

Additional Comments: Doesn't need to look too fancy, as long as it performs well.

striker410

Distinguished
You will not encounter any compatibility issues with the build I created.
Also keep in mind that you will need Windows 7 and a monitor, which can easily put you over budget with a Cyberpower build.

As for AMD vs. Intel, Intel has a clear lead with their Sandy Bridge products. Look at this comparison of the 1090t vs 2500k: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/146?vs=288 (take note of higher is better/lower is better)

As you can see, the 2500k has a CLEAR lead. I myself prefer AMD, but that's no reason to get something that is not as good.

And Cyberpower is a good deal if you are VERY uncomfortable building your own PC. They are reasonable, but they WAY overcharge you for power supply's. Besides, building is half the fun! it's super simple!

P.S. Here's a comparison of the GPU your brother selected against the one I suggest: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/290?vs=330

Advection

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Alright, I'll have him take a look at the comparisons. From what I can tell, the NVIDIA seems to outperform my chosen GPU. Also, would you recommend any particular fan for the computer to avoid overheating, or will it be fine with whatever comes built in?