Please help! P8z77V deluxe AE message

Light Plasma

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Hi! I just put together a new build, it does not post and the motherboard has the vga led light by the graphic card on. And it shows the led 2 letter code AE.

How do I get it up and running?

DavePDX50

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009

DavePDX50

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
I can imagine your frustration. I had a problem many years ago with an Asus A7V motherboard that only produced beep codes. I wanted to pull my hair out.

I wasn't able to find any other people having the same problem with your particular motherboard after a bit of searching but I did see a couple other trends that others had with newer Asus boards. Since you said that your system won't post the first suggestion may not apply. I am assuming at this point that you have reseated the memory sticks and the video card.

1. This error message appears some times when people have altered the boot sequence (not having the DVD first). Because your system won't post this doesn't seem to apply.

2. Another guy got his system to post after he reseated the 8 pin power connector.

3. Did you try booting up without the graphics card in and just using the on-die graphics (taking the video card out of the equation)?

Hopefully one of these work for you.

Light Plasma

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Beep codes, I can imagine.
I have been wanting to try number 3, however since I am using an old monitor no hdmi connection is available on it. And there is no dvi on the built in.

I don't know about number 1, is that mechanically possible to do? (This is Before I even see the bios).

This checklist comes down to number 2. That is probably the answer.

DavePDX50

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
My computers don't have UEFI BIOS so I'm not sure what happens at boot time. I'm waiting to see what the Maximus V Formula looks like before I select it or the P8Z77-V Deluxe for my system build.

You can try pressing the <Del> key during the POST process and see if the UEFI BIOS will come up. My *guess* is that it won't but you never know without trying.

Another suggestion that I read somewhere for another Asus mobo was to try to run with just 1 memory stick. The manual indicates from the drawing on page 2-5 that a single stick should go into DIMM slot DIMM_A2. I mention this because the error message you got (AE) seems to be somewhat of a generic message. It could possibly be that one of the memory sticks is flawed or not seated properly. If one stick doesn't work then try the other one (rotate them one at a time).

I'm out of ideas atm. Here's hoping for you...

DavePDX50

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
Having a power supply (too small) that doesn't provide enough power to all the components is a problem but I've never heard of any issues on the opposite side of the scale (large power supply, little current draw). The condition you describe at worst may result in having a less efficient conversion of power by the power supply but it should have no problem providing the power needed. If you are concerned about the power supply functioning properly you can take it to a computer service store and have it checked. If you decide to have it checked out, call ahead and find out how much it will cost. FWIW, I bought a power supply tester for about $15 4-5 years ago in order to determine if the power supply I had was functioning or not (it had died). The repair shop quoted me $25.

nicholasjames123

Honorable
May 1, 2012
try reseating the cpu. check for bent pins/thermal paste on it. Alot of the time if there are errors off the bat, something isnt talking, which is usually memory or cpu. just give it a try

Light Plasma

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
I think thats okay, its talking. There seems to be no visual though.

Just before you can see post what are you supposed to do?
I mean what is the next step after putting everything together correctly?

When starting up the computer for the first time you are supposed to see (on the monitor), text describing the hardware, right? And the order of the drives set up?

I will look and see if I can get any more LED messages, that show up before AE.

nicholasjames123

Honorable
May 1, 2012
you could try to remove all but 1 sticks of ram, and remove the video card. see if the error code stays the same or changes, this will at least rule out if the video card is at fault. IF the error code changes, it might be your video card. try swapping ram sticks around, this sometimes works. If you get different errors with the video card in, then i suggest you reseat the CPU. random errors are almost always associated with CPU/RAM not seated properly.

As far as what comes up on the screen upon startup: BIOS splash screen, post, windows. try hitting del or F1/F9 to get into your BIOS and see if there is an Event Log anywhere. Good Luck

Light Plasma

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
I got a new graphic card, so that I could connect the PC to the monitor. For additional visual FeeDback of course!

Tried to get everything to working order again.

It didn't work!

The following was LED shown: 4F, 62, d7, AE.
Then I changed the location of a SATA connection.
I got just: 62, d7, AE.

62 is some sort of installation, d7 is "no console input devices are found".

AE is legacy boot event.

Still don't know what to do about this.

DavePDX50

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
Sorry to hear that the problem continues.

You probably ruled out any video card issues but I don't know if you've done the basic troubleshooting yet. Do you have any other device installed on your computer other than the video card, CPU and memory like a DVD player? If so unplug the DVD player, sound card etc. Take everything else out of the picture - just have CPU (with heatsink obviously), memory, and video installed.

If you just have the CPU, memory and video card installed have you tried booting as nicholasjames123 and I suggested with just one DIMM in the primary RAM slot? If that failed, did you try the other DIMM by itself in the same primary RAM slot?

If all the above failed to work, if it was me I'd do what nicholasjames123 suggested - pull out the CPU, check it for bent pins and reseat the CPU. This is a hassle but I've unknowingly bent pins on the CPU myself before when installing a CPU.

Light Plasma

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
I have a had a dvd connected yes. Earlier I did try booting without it. I believe the AE was still there. What I have not tried is booting without the ssd. I tried one DIMM, although not without the other as I didnt have the suggestion with me then. What is worthy of note, is that the DIMM LED lights checkout fine. They have never shown red.
The CPU LED also checks out fine. The VGA LED was red with the first GPU. The first GPU was proven to be non-working. And it have been replaced. The new card checks out fine by the Vga-LED. I did start the process of Reseating the CPU, sure was a hassle just as you described. I got as far as taking out the cooler, the visual was that the thermal paste had spread perfectly on top of the CPU. However I dropped the cooler for a distance of 2 inches. Making one aluminium thing a little bent (1/25th of an inch). Looking at the processor from the outside of the slot, it is in the right position. The arrow is in the right corner. Im not sure how far to go now. There are both prospects and considerations with reseating, and how can I be sure if that is what is making my build not post?
No CPU LED was shown, that should indicate the CPU is placed correctly. And working. And now maybe Now I need a new cooler? Does anyone know how a normal post is best reached from this situation?

DavePDX50

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
Regarding your CPU installation I just noticed that you said "The arrow is in the right corner." According to the video I'm linking, it should be in the lower left corner, not right. I understand that you may have meant "correct corner" but I don't want to assume anything. Please check this and verify the CPU is installed in the proper orientation. If it is installed correctly then continue on to the rest of my message.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymbeMBbbOp8

When a system won't boot for whatever reason that isn't obvious, the first thing you want to do is eliminate all hardware that is absolutely not necessary not necessary to boot - hard drives, SSD's, sound cards, optical drives, etc. The idea is that you want have just the very basic hardware initialize and allow you to get into the UEFI BIOS. If you can do that you are most of the way "home". Once you are into the BIOS you can start swapping out items that might be causing the inability to boot up.

If I was in your situation and you have the heatsink off, I would pull the CPU out and check for bent pins even though the CPU light is green. But that is me, I'd pull the CPU. Possibly this could be overkill but I'd want to eliminate any possibility of an installation error on my part. With the CPU cooler taken off you want to very, very carefully pull out the CPU and check the pins (you will need a magnifying glass) and see if any of them are bent. It is tedious taking out the CPU and checking the pins.

Once the CPU is reinstalled in the socket, clean off the CPU and the heatsink if you haven't already. I use ArctiClean to clean of my CPUs and heatsinks. You can also use the highest purity isopropyl alcohol that you can get at your local drugstore as well. Google "how to clean a cpu heatsink" and you will find a few videos that demonstrate how to do this.

The only items you want installed are the CPU and cooler, one stick of memory in the primary memory slot, and a video card. From a very basic standpoint, the motherboard that you have has integrated video so eliminating an add-on GPU would be preferable but you've already stated that your monitor doesn't have an HDMI port so using onboard video is not a possibility. Since you've gotten a new video card that very probably eliminates video as a source. So, once you get your CPU heatsink reinstalled you want to eliminate the SSD, optical drives, everything else other than cpu, heatsink, one stick of memory and graphics card.

Then reset the CMOS. To reset the CMOS see page 2-20 in the manual (in section 2.2.5). Then try a reboot.

If it doesn't come up then power down and change out the DIMM in the primary DIMM socket with the other one that you have. Reset the CMOS again and try to boot.

At this point if your system won't POST then I'm out of ideas other than to flash the newest BIOS. Lets see what happens if you follow the steps above first before jumping to flash a new BIOS as that process, if done incorrectly, can hose the motherboard although the BIOS flashback system on the new Asus Z77 boards is supposed to be a lot easier and safer to do.

Light Plasma

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
I meant correct corner, you are a great help. I was happily surprised by how helpful this forum is. In tinkering around with my new build.

Now that I know much more about computer hardware then I used to. I was shocked when I looked into the computer I had before this one. An old Amd build at 2,1Ghz. It looks a bit funny, tape and all. :)

It had great performance though.

I'm going to checklist the suggestions above, during the days ahead.
I'm going to pick up that fluid among other things first though.
And find a magnifying glass.

DavePDX50

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
Here's a good description:
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-cmos.htm

Let us know how the "re-build" goes.

Edited to add:

Instead of buying the cleaning solution I mentioned try isopropyl alcohol first. It is quite inexpensive and you can pick it up at a pharmacy or supermarket. Try to get 90% isopropyl if they have it.

Light Plasma

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Step one:
With so little experience. It was hard to tell how the CPU slot should look. The metal pins were a bit angled but it looked so coherent. I believe that is the way they should look.

DavePDX50

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
The question you need to find an answer for is does the manufacturer certify the DIMM in question to be compatible with your motherboard. You'd need to go to the manufacturer's website and find out if it is certified as compatible.

The Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe can run some (probably most in reality) 1866Mhz DIMMs.

Sorry for being a bit slow in replying. I've been busy putting together my new system. I just got it up and running.

Light Plasma

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
No worries because of reply speed. Congratulations on the build!

I've checked the manual. The DIMM I have is not on the qualified vendors list. Kingston is on the 1866Mhz list but only in the 3Gb form, the DIMM I have is 4Gb.

By the way, thanks for telling me where an updated list could be found quickly.

DavePDX50

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
Upon re-reading my previous reply I see that I was not precise in my language. I was very tired when I wrote that as I am now. The DIMM manufacturer website is where you go to see if the DIMM is certified to work on a specific motherboard. Most memory manufacturers have a memory configurator that allows you to see what memory modules/kits they sell that they will certify to work with a specific motherboard. Asus has their qualified vendor list but the manufacturers of the DIMMs will have a much more up to date list.

I reviewed the websites of Corsair and Crucial and used their "memory configurators" and to see what memory sets were compatible with the motherboard that I was considering purchasing. The memory manufacturers will have much more up to date listings of what memory works in which motherboard.

TRENDING THREADS