ASUS Maximus IV ExtremeZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
You will need a BIOS update for It to work with ivy. To go about doing this, take it to a near by store that would have sandy bridge chip, and have them update BIOS. if not then go online and order a Core i3 sandy bridge or even a Sandy Bridge Pentium and update the BIOS with it then ivy will be compatible with your board

Rallye2011

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
I was just given this board, and the only CPU I have to put in, is an Ivy Bridge. I am not certain if I can just drop the Ivy in and go, or if I need to put a Sandy in, and run a BIOS update.

burton88

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
That is a sandy bridge board so no you cant drop a ivy bridge into it. The Asus maximus iv extreme z is z68 chiset which only utilizes sandy bridge cpus, unless its the new ones coming out that are 1155 socket. Ivy bridge is socket 2011 it wouldn't fit or work. Also the board should work right out the box with any sandy bridge cpu i have the same board and never had any problems. When updating the bios let asus program AI suit 2 do it which is on the website or cd. It's pretty straight forward keeps you from worrying about screwing up bios update and erasing your bios which would be very bad. If that does happen your blessed with a back up bios chip.

You will need a BIOS update for It to work with ivy. To go about doing this, take it to a near by store that would have sandy bridge chip, and have them update BIOS. if not then go online and order a Core i3 sandy bridge or even a Sandy Bridge Pentium and update the BIOS with it then ivy will be compatible with your board

Solution

Rallye2011

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

Thanks!

jewie27

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

people are giving misleading information about Asus motherboards and Ivy Bridge. All you have to do for it is download the latest BIOS on a USB drive and flash the BIOS with it. It requires no memory or cpu to be installed on the board, just power to the motherboard itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.