Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Tyan K8SE resets after 1 minute

Last response: in Motherboards
April 30, 2012 2:15:15 PM

I bought this board, Tyan Thunder K8SE S2892, from a salvage company, new in box, never used. I am convinced this is a bad board.
It starts and shows BIOS properly detecting IDE drives when installed and whichever CPUs I have installed and will then run as long as it does not go to boot.
If it goes to boot it will run 1 minute and restart. I am working in a bare bones box, no PCI cards, display from board only. I have tried:
1. Booting from formatted HDD drive, several
2. Booting from formatted but empty SATA drive
3. Booting from bootable disks in CD/DVD player, several, such as MemTest
4. Swapping CPUs from dual core to one or dual single core CPUs
5. Removing all but a single stick of memory
6. Swapping keyboards and mice for start-up
7. Booting from external CD/DVD player loaded with bootable Win7 install disk
8. Booting from USB drive loaded with Win 7 install disk
9. Testing and swapping Power Supply, 2 total
10. Running from BIOS for an extended time to watch for excessive heat on CPUs; they do not overheat and they maintain stable temperature.
Any suggestions for further troubleshooting or settings or pin setting, welcomed.
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2012 3:23:26 PM

You've done a pretty exhaustive testing cycle, and would also be thinking it's bad.

The only 4 things I can suggest right now:
1. Clear CMOS, just to make sure something screwy isn't set or corrupt.
2. Re: #5, rotate through your available memory modules to insure you're not dealing with a bad module, even moving sockets for one test. (But I have a feeling you might have done this already).
3. Try a PCI graphics card (to bypass the onboard GPU)
4. Last resort make sure you've got the latest BIOS loaded
Score
April 30, 2012 7:22:39 PM

psaus said:
You've done a pretty exhaustive testing cycle, and would also be thinking it's bad.

The only 4 things I can suggest right now:
1. Clear CMOS, just to make sure something screwy isn't set or corrupt.
2. Re: #5, rotate through your available memory modules to insure you're not dealing with a bad module, even moving sockets for one test. (But I have a feeling you might have done this already).
3. Try a PCI graphics card (to bypass the onboard GPU)
4. Last resort make sure you've got the latest BIOS loaded

THANKS FOR THE IDEAS
4.) I double checked the BIOS version against Tyan site, yep, most recent
1.) Cleared CMOS, no change
2.) Yep, I swapped each of the memory sticks and ran (1 minute of) MemTest on each. still restarted at about 1 minute
3.) I put an old video card in, but it would not boot at all. I dunno what that means.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2012 8:50:13 PM

Quote:
3.) I put an old video card in, but it would not boot at all. I dunno what that means.

With PCI card removed, configure the BIOS so that "graphics boot default is 'PCI'" (vs it's current setting, which is likely either "AGP" or "onboard"), save settings and after it POSTs power the system off (you may have to approximate this, as you may not see anything after the CMOS saves), insert PCI GPU and try again.

After that, you've tried pretty much everything I can think of. The only other thing would be to take all the components and put them on a second motherboard (since you've replaced every other piece of hardware). But this isn't likely an option, otherwise you'd have mentioned it in your OP. :)  Not looking good for the board...
I'll reply again if I come up with any other inspiration (that doesn't include a hammer :)  )
May 1, 2012 12:03:37 PM

psaus,
Just a quick update, I followed your suggestions, repeating some steps:
1) cleared CMOS (again)
2) selected boot display to PCI (rather than on-board ATI RAGE)
2) installed an old PCI video card from my stack of stuff
3) rebooted to CD/DVD drive with MemTest-86 (not so much to test the single memory stick, but because it just keeps running and shows cumulative time run)
IT HAS NOW RUN OVER 20 MINUTES!
I will let it run while I tend to other stuff, then tear it down again and replace memory and upgraded processors and see if it ends up working the way I wanted when I bought the board as an update from my earlier Tyan Thunder K8W s2885.
I will post again when I am up and running, so you and others can see the sequence.
(28 minutes and still ticking!)
Score
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2012 12:21:36 PM

The difference between your above posts, and this last posts says to me the onboard GPU is likely the culprit. If you're happy running with the PCI graphics you just installed, that's your fix. :) 
Fingers crossed
Score
May 8, 2012 1:26:40 PM

Best answer selected by GranPaSmurf.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
May 8, 2012 8:29:13 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!