Base/budget upgrade

nfarnham2001

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Okay, I own an HP a6203w Desktop. I am building/buying a new computer this fall when I get my leftover of my college loans back. For the moment I need something to get me until then. My HP desktop has an integrated nvidia 6150 se nforce 430 onboard graphics, 2 gigs of ram (i added 2 more for a total of 4) and a bestec 250watt powersupply.

I was looking at the ATI Radeon 4350HD graphics card, as it has low power consumption, it does the basics and what I need with low to medium settings on most of my games and my video playback, and it is a small form function with PCI-e compatability.

I play games like WoW, Sims 2, Sims 3, and Entropia Universe, nothing else and won't be until I get my new computer. I just want basic settings at low to medium with 20 to 40 fps, I'm not asking for the world.

My three questions are:

Which is best, I have seen many brands on newegg with mixed reviews about DOA and cooling.
Will the Bestec 250watt run this card?
Will cooling be an issue since some don't have fans, and my computer is stock with only one internal fan on the bottom (Will I need to invest in aftermarket cooling?)

I am only doing this because it is so cheap. I have about 40 to 60 dollars to spare on this.

Thanks.

Edit:

I have thought about the 5570 as well as anything between the 4350 and the 5570. My main concern isn't maxing out all my games, but merely playing them at low to medium settings with smooth fps. Also it won't be at the full monitor resolution, most would be 1440 x 900, but more likely something a little bit smaller. My main concerns are power consumption, cooling, and price, as I have at MOST 60, MAYBE 70 pushing it to spend, and it just needs to last me until this fall/winter.

If you want to play games then you must get GT240, HD5570 or HD5670 minimum.
A 300W PSU should be able to handle those card just fine.
And make sure your case has one blower fan and one exhaust fan minimum to maintain temps.

HPrometheus

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
You might actually be better off just getting a new HP. They have the GDDR5 Nvidia and ATI cards available now for the latest builds. It has a 460W built in and goes up to 24GB of RAM. http://goo.gl/DmpNB - You might want to check out what's out there :p Also if you go through HP Academy, you can get a student discount that adds up :p