System stops at window XP opening screen.

bsmooth

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
This system has been running great with no hiccups at all for 7 years straight. I just built another system and downloaded Avast antivirus and malewarebytes from CNET monday to use on the new system before I transferred everything over.
Last night i tried to boot and everything went fine until the WinXP opening screen when I got a message to try and boot again using the last boot that was successful. Tried that with no luck. Tried to boot into safe mode, again no luck.
Do you think its the hard drive or a virus? If it is the hard drive(and I can hear it running) is there a way I can take it out and access my files in another PC somehow? I do have another PC that uses XP.
What kind of timing is that just before I transfer files to a new PC?
Is there anyway I can get my files off that hard drive?

Solution
You can install your old hard drive in your new PC. Just hook it up as a second drive in your new PC. You should check the boot order in BIOS to make sure the new system will boot off of the correct hard drive (i.e. not the "old" one you just installed). You should be able to access the old hard drive this way.

eightdrunkengods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
You can install your old hard drive in your new PC. Just hook it up as a second drive in your new PC. You should check the boot order in BIOS to make sure the new system will boot off of the correct hard drive (i.e. not the "old" one you just installed). You should be able to access the old hard drive this way.

Solution