Video freezes when playing certain games

mp4444

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
When every i play certain games (Portal, Crysis2, Champions online) My video freezes up about 10 min in. I know it has something to do with my video card, but can not figure out what.

I am running prime95 and furmark, but i don't know what to make of the results.

I will post any comp info you need, but i am a noob so you would have to tell me where to find it :)

mp4444

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB 5.9
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 5.9

Gaming graphics 1919 MB Total available graphics memory 5.9

Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate

Graphics
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Total available graphics memory 1919 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1407 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.5896
Primary monitor resolution 1440x900
DirectX version DirectX 10

Also here are the results from furmark 720 benchmark test. http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/furmark_score_190.php?id=150449

In that test, the computer did not freeze like normal, but if i run a burn in it does every 3-5 min.

the test result state your start temperature is 58c. did you do the test after playing some game or from idle state? if your idle temperature is 58c that was high. try running gpu-z and go to sensor tab to check your temperature during idle. you can download the program here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

mp4444

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
hmm idle temp is at 60c, which does seem high. but my fan speed is only at 37%, could that be making it over heat?

I never thought that it might be overheating since i have 4 fans in/on my case, but that would make sense.

maybe your graphic card heatsink clogged with dust. you may have good air flow for your case but if your graphic card heatsink clogged with dust it won't help you to cool down your card. the case fans help to pull out the heat and bring in the cool air in but it does not help too cool your card directly. even in open case graphic card with clogged heatsink will make noticeable temperature increase. so what you have to do is check your heatsink and clean the dust if they were clogged. you can re-apply new thermal paste as well if you want to. if you want to control your fan speed in regard to temperature you can use MSI After burner to do that. it helps me a lot to maintain my former GTS250 below 80c except in furmark :)

mp4444

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
I took apart my vid card and was able to remove a layer of dust about two quarters thick that was blocking the length of the heatsink.

Now my idle temp is 36c and a burn in on furmark stays steady at about 70c. So far no freezing!

thank you so much! its been about a year and i have no idea why i didn't think that all it might be is a little dust *face palm*