Sign in with
Your question

Accessing my desktop webcam with my laptop at work

Last response: in Networking
August 17, 2010 5:07:07 AM

I need to be able to remotely access my webcam which is hooked up to my desktop at home with my laptop while I'm several miles away at work.
Do I need to use a third party application in order to see what is going on in home while I'm away. Got a newborn and want to monitor the baby sitter I'm sure all parents understand. Thanks
August 17, 2010 5:19:01 AM

I think you can stream web cams with this
http://www.orb.com/
never tried that feature of it but it does do a good job with media
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2010 5:55:00 PM

azjoe1961 said:
I need to be able to remotely access my webcam which is hooked up to my desktop at home with my laptop while I'm several miles away at work.
Do I need to use a third party application in order to see what is going on in home while I'm away. Got a newborn and want to monitor the baby sitter I'm sure all parents understand. Thanks

If you do that, make sure you let the babysitter know it's going on or you will have some ugly lawsuits coming your way.
Related resources
August 17, 2010 6:35:23 PM

Also make sure you can stream from work. This can put a huge load on a network.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2010 10:25:24 PM

www.logmein.com Free Version
August 18, 2010 12:47:12 AM

hang-the-9 said:
If you do that, make sure you let the babysitter know it's going on or you will have some ugly lawsuits coming your way.

thanks for the advice and so I've been told however if the camera is in my home in the living room or babys room not in a place like the bathroom. I see people get popped all the time and th
en the news is running the video later on and I have never heard of any lawsuit that transpired after wards. I could be wrong but just can't see how installing a spy camera in your own home with the intentions of catching a thief or worse criminal, grounds for a lawsuit.
certainly if that person uses the camera for illegal purposes like spying on people in the bathroom or private room some kinky *** like that then by all means lawsuit and prison. but thanks for the heads up.
December 12, 2013 12:27:17 PM

The best way is to instal team viewer...open it at home and than open any cam control softwear and just spread the window on desktop... than acces it from work and thats it... I been trying a lot of options for that and this is the simplest and the best...trust me...there is an option to open ports at home network etc. but this is siplest one..
sorry about my engleshe... Greetings
!