Sign in with
Your question

Need input and review/advise i52500k or i7 2600k

Last response: in Systems
May 18, 2011 4:07:31 PM

This is my speculated build, I have already purchased some of the items . The PC will be for all around use-Photo/video editing, web, gaming and such. If you have and input it would be greatly appreciated. Trying to finish with parts in next few days.
I would also like some input on the mobos. Hardware Secrets has a good review of the MSI and it has some nice features, I think most folks know the ASUS and ASRock
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/MSI-Z68A-GD80-B3...
I know the MSI is about $30 more than the other 2 but close enough for me

CM Haf X Purchased

Intel i5 2500K Purchased but may switch to i7 2600K

MSI-Z68A-GD80 or Asus Z68 PRO or ASRock Z68 Extreme 4
MSI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASUS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASRock http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair CMPSU-850HX 850-Watt HX Already purchased Was getting 750HX but the 850HX was on sale cheaper then 750HX

Intel 320 Series 120 GB SSD

MSI Radeon HD 2 GB DDR5 6950

Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint HD103SJ Already purchased

Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive

Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz

Corsair Cooling Hydro Series CH60 Purchased

And a new Monitor not sure which one but leaning towards ASUS 23”
May 18, 2011 4:50:23 PM

technoidgit, I just ordered the components for a very similar system. I like it! A few thoughts:
Mobo: Tom's just did a review of 3 high end z68 boards (ASUS, ASRock and Gigabyte, but unfortunately omitting MSI). You can find it here: Z68 Motherboard Comparison
Of the three, ASRock's was chosen as the winner.
CPU: The 2500k is a great cpu. I got the 2600k, but only because I'll make use of its hyperthreading technology ().
You may also want to pick up a second small (20G - 64G) SSD, which you can use for a caching disk for your HDD, using Intel's Smart Response Technology (, which is one of the key benefits of the Z68 chipset.

Out of curiousity, what case? I was struggling between the Corsair Obsidian 650D and the Silverstone Raven 2 Evolution. I eventually chose the Corsair, but it was a tough choice.
m
l
May 18, 2011 4:51:22 PM

looks great
m
l
Related resources
May 18, 2011 4:52:45 PM

Says he got a haf x. I personally plan on getting the Silverstone Raven 2 evolution for my next build.. unless something more appealing comes out in the next month or two
m
l
May 18, 2011 4:58:01 PM

You should link some pictures of your rig when you get it built
m
l
May 18, 2011 5:04:09 PM

The Corsairs I saw looked like a box. I really went in with 932 advanced in mind but the HafX won out. The cooling setup on this thing is awesome. I still may switch to the i7 2600k as I can utilize hyperthread. It was just the 2500k at $179.00 was hard to resist and I was trying to trim $ of the build price. I did read through the Z68 roundup, but the MSI just came out yesterday I think(within couple anyways) I read the review on HS and I was impressed. I was going to get the ASUS Pro and still may but I think the MSI will be itl
m
l
May 18, 2011 5:08:27 PM

You have a very nice system here. As far as the difference between the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K and the Intel Core i7-2600K, it really comes down to how many threads can been run. The Intel Core i7-2600K has hyper-threading and can run up to 8 threads. For software like Adobe CS5 that can take advantage of additional threads, hyper-threading can be a big benefit. So yes the Intel Core i7-2600K would run your software better, but don’t think for a minute that the Intel Core i5-2500K is anything to sneeze at.

For a small SSD take a look at the Intel SSD 320 40GB drive. This small low cost drive really would do an outstanding job for SSD caching.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
May 18, 2011 5:21:59 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
You have a very nice system here. As far as the difference between the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K and the Intel Core i7-2600K, it really comes down to how many threads can been run. The Intel Core i7-2600K has hyper-threading and can run up to 8 threads. For software like Adobe CS5 that can take advantage of additional threads, hyper-threading can be a big benefit. So yes the Intel Core i7-2600K would run your software better, but don’t think for a minute that the Intel Core i5-2500K is anything to sneeze at.

For a small SSD take a look at the Intel SSD 320 40GB drive. This small low cost drive really would do an outstanding job for SSD caching.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Thank you, I have been pondering the small Intel SSD, but as I said I had been trying to trim$. I was orig. over $1600 w/o monitor and OS but that was 1 week or so ago. Well by finding the sales and going to 2500k I have trimmed $200 to $300 easy of build.(need to add up again). I really want to add the 30-40gb ssd but while cost is low for an SSD it's still not cheap
m
l
May 18, 2011 6:14:30 PM

cmadrid said:
You should link some pictures of your rig when you get it built

Was wondering what you think of this DVD drive. I know there cheap but I dont want dual layer burn or movie issues like many others have.

LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Writer LightScribe Support iHAS424-98 DVD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I will finalize ordering tonight except maybe for OS and monitor
m
l
May 18, 2011 6:18:12 PM

Seems fine to me.. I'm not very picky about my DVD drive, as long as it matches the case color ;) 
m
l
May 20, 2011 1:03:39 AM

IntelEnthusiast said:

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

I was wondering since using 2 HDs 1 SSD/1 HDD(raid 0) would I need to order another sata cable for the 2nd drive, how many do they usually come with. I just don't know what the mobo is going to come with. I can figure it out when the mobo gets here but I would rather have before hand so I can finish up when it arrives. I will be going the the MSI-Z68A-GD80, maybe I can check their site and see whats included. I had a bunch of extra cables around but I thing some little mice ran off with them
m
l
May 20, 2011 1:23:44 AM

I'm pretty sure you will have enough cables for 2 drives.. check on newegg or something to be 100% sure tho
m
l
May 20, 2011 1:29:19 AM

"...I was wondering since using 2 HDs 1 SSD/1 HDD(raid 0)"

RAID 0??

You would not really want to RAID 0 (striping across 2 or more drives, purely for speed ) while mixing a fast SSD with a slower mechanical HDD; even if it were possible, you'd be limited both by the performance/throughput of the mechanical drive, and the capacity of the SSD, negating the advantages of RAID 0.

Most MBs come with at least 4 SATA cables....
m
l
May 20, 2011 3:33:47 PM

mdd1963 said:
"...I was wondering since using 2 HDs 1 SSD/1 HDD(raid 0)"

RAID 0??

You would not really want to RAID 0 (striping across 2 or more drives, purely for speed ) while mixing a fast SSD with a slower mechanical HDD; even if it were possible, you'd be limited both by the performance/throughput of the mechanical drive, and the capacity of the SSD, negating the advantages of RAID 0.

Most MBs come with at least 4 SATA cables....

Thank you. I had checked and it was 4 cables.
When I was on another thread I and someone else where setting up similar sysytems. OS/apps on SSD and Storage on HDD. Someone said that is referred to as or you need to setup Raid 0. I did not think so as Raid 0 is basically combining 2 drives or more as 1(2 1 tg HD=2TG raid 0) If 1 drive goes down you lose everything as it writes info in "stripes" scattered across both drives
Raid 1 would be writing same info on 2 or more drives(acts as a back up). and so on
That is why I put the raid0 in () as I did not think it was correct but I have been wrong many a times. I was also going to explain why I put it in the () but was very short on time. I saw above setup as a 2 drive system and just specifing which drive to write info to:o S and Apps to one drive and storage(files,pics,docs,etc) to the other
m
l
May 20, 2011 3:39:00 PM

Why did the post put the smile over the o in os(operating system)???

Actually I quess it was because I had a colon : then a O after it which is a :o 
m
l
May 20, 2011 3:57:37 PM

If you are looking to run a RAID 0 (stripping), you are going to want to get two drives the same in type and size e.g. 2x HDD 7200rpm 500GB drives. If you were to use a SSD and a HDD in a RAID 0, you would have to partition the HDD to the same size at the SSD and then the RAID would run slower than the SSD would normally.
So if you want to set up a RAID on this system the way I would do it is 1 SSD as a boot drive and then get 3 HDDs and put them in a RAID 5. This will give you the best of performance and reliability for your system.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
May 21, 2011 5:14:42 PM

I have just built a system with the I52500K and an MSI Z68MA-ED55 board. I needed the small board for my small case, but still needed firewire for an older Sony Video Cam. This board had it without my having to add in another board. I then went to 8GB of Kingston Hyper X memory, a Kingston 128 Gb SSD drive, a 2TB Hitachi hard drive (from my old dual core) and a dirt cheap LG DVD burner (on sale for $15). It assembled and ran up JUST FINE! I let MSI's overclock genie see what it could do and have ended up with a 4.4 Ghz STABLE (prime95) overclock. Yes I know it isn't a reccommended Intel thing, but I do video transcoding and editing and need speed. I'm glad I bought the Z68 board because it enables the quick video transcoding of the I5.
Oh and I'm not a gamer, so NO VIDEO CARD LOL! The Intel 3000 graphics do everything I'll need for 3 years or more ;) . I really do like this MSI board !
m
l
May 21, 2011 5:33:27 PM

Nice build dude.

I'm going to be buying the parts for a build similar to yours, and I'd like to know why you are choosing a z68 vs. p67 board. This is not a sarcastic question, I really want to know your reasons.

I am also choosing between the 932 advanced and the haf x. What made the X win out?

Last question, where did you find the 850hx for cheaper than the 750hx?

Thanks in advance.
m
l
May 22, 2011 8:11:43 AM

There is a Review in relation to the Z68 vs. the P67 on Tom's listed in the first reply.

And also i am going to build a similar build and just wondering why you chose the MSI motherboard rather than the ASRock?
m
l
May 24, 2011 4:43:37 PM

littlesam95 said:
There is a Review in relation to the Z68 vs. the P67 on Tom's listed in the first reply.

And also i am going to build a similar build and just wondering why you chose the MSI motherboard rather than the ASRock?

Well I'm going MSI due to Military Grade components and a great power system on the GD80. Some folks think that Military Grade is a gimmick but it is not. Capacitors, resistors and such much meet higher standards to be deemed Military Grade. The MSI has everything I want plus the OC Genie is the best simple OC system going if you don't want to mess with bios. I will not OC to the 'wall'(around 4.8 to 5.2) but want something stable. If I do want to push it more but mess up the MSI GD 80 has a dual bios switch. If I really mess up I just hit switch and go back to a stable setting.

As far as the Haf X it really is a toss up as the 932 has more front panel conections. What really sold me is the side fan/duct setup and interior ducting on the X which is one of the best cooling cases going. I had also got on sale for only $10 more...No Brainer but I still think it may be worth the $20 or $30 regular diff.

On the 850HX Newegg had a One Day Sale'Today's Deals' which had the 850HX on it for $5 cheaper than the 750HX. Also due to getting it on a combo deal I saved another $20 on the 850HX/Samsung T3 1tb HDD combo
m
l
!