Sign in with
Your question

Was 4GB enough RAM?

Tags:
  • Memory
Last response: in Memory
April 30, 2012 9:47:48 PM

I just built a budget gaming PC. And now I'm worried I don't have enough :( 

I didn't think I needed 8GB and I was tight on money so I bought 4GB. But truthfully, is 8GB really NEEDED? Will it make that much of a difference? I don't really multitask.. And while I play games I usually am not running iTunes/Firefox etc.

I mostly play MMORPG games if it makes a difference, I'm not a big PC FPS gamer, and what inspired me to build this PC was Diablo 3 that is coming out in 2 weeks.
Should I upgrade to 8GB down the road or drop more money on upgrading my ram right now? This computer is less than a week old.

I'm running:

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Radeon HD 6770 1GB
4GB RAM
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor 3.4GHZ

More about : 4gb ram

April 30, 2012 10:22:51 PM

I believe in always having more than you need for this one principle...it's always better to have too much and NOT need it than to not have enough when you DO need it.

Look at this article...http://superuser.com/questions/253354/is-the-old-4-gigs...

Also take a look at this http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1086195-HUGE-differ...

It seems to me that there are a variety of factors in the amount of ram you need versus what mmorpg games you are playing and on what hardware...ie motherboard, cpu, the installed apps and how much ram is utilized for other operations say for background services and such.

This is a subjective choice each must make for themselves...but as I stated earlier...better to have MORE than you need than to not have enough...it's definitely a personal choice as to what you feel comfortable with and how well your hardware utilizes what is available.

Sorry there doesn't seem to be a definitive yes or no but that's the information available at this time.

Hope it at least provides you an idea of where to look or what to look for!

For me...I run 16GB of gskill ripjaw series ddr3 1600 but I prefer Kingston HyperX...obtained the ram through a build I purchased from an individual on ebay...couldn't see it going to waste so it's in a build of my own.

Respectfully,
tekman42

Is there a benefit? It depends on what you need to do. Of course, more memory means you can run more applications at the same time with less disk I/O (due to swap file activity -- the swap file is used to temporarily move data and code in RAM off-line so that the same RAM can then be used by something else; it's like an overflow device that works both ways). If you're playing video games that involve high resolution graphics or the need to store a lot of data in RAM, such as MMORPGs like "World of Warcraft" or "Ashen Empires" or even non-MMORPG games like "Doom III."
m
l
!