"Customers do not want online games" - Iwata

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3725
Rob Fahey 12:42 05/07/2004
Networked gaming still isn't important, insists Nintendo boss

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has given an extensive talk on the
state of the industry to the Japan Economic Foundation - including
evidence from sales figures which he claims prove that online gaming
is not yet an important factor.

Iwata presented sales figures for a PS2 online golf title which failed
to match the sales of its offline predecessor (Sony's own Minna no
Golf / Everybody's Golf titles, released in the west as Hot Shots
Golf) as "proof that customers do not want online games."

According to highlights of his presentation which have been posted
online, Iwata told the foundation that "most customers do not wish to
pay the extra money for connection to the Internet, and for some
customers, connection procedures to the Internet are still not easy."

Alone out of the three major platform holders in the current
generation of hardware, Nintendo has been reluctant to commit to
online gaming; the company launched a modem and broadband adapter for
the console in order to support online titles from other companies,
but has not developed any such titles of its own.

With both Sony and Microsoft's future console plans featuring online
as a core component, it's still not clear how Nintendo will
incorporate connectivity into its next-generation "Revolution" console
- if at all.

However, the company has been much more positive about the potential
of wireless connectivity for its handheld devices, launching a
successful wireless adapter for the Game Boy Advance and integrating
both Bluetooth and 802.11b Wireless LAN technologies into the
forthcoming Nintendo DS handheld.

Elsewhere in his address to the foundation, Iwata also covered the
perception of Nintendo as a company which targets its products largely
at the kids market. "Game software should neither be exclusively be
targeted at children nor adults," he said. "Instead, we will develop
software which anyone can instantly understand."

However, he did acknowledge the growing trend within the industry for
creating mature games, adding simply that "at the same time,
production of software readily acceptable to adults is worth
studying."

Speaking about Nintendo's relationships with third-party companies,
Iwata hinted that more development deals with Western developers could
be in the pipeline. "We intend to expand tie-ups not only with
Japanese companies but also with foreign companies," he said. "We are
now holding negotiations with major Western game developers and will
be able to conclude a deal by the end of the year if things go
smoothly."

He also touched briefly on the subject of Nintendo's ongoing
relationship with Bandai - and this time strayed from his usual script
on the subject by not directly denying the possibility of a takeover
or merger, saying only that "a closer relationship would be beneficial
for both sides and it will be nice if the two companies can work
together in doing something interesting."
More about customers online games iwata
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3725

    ___
    > Rob Fahey 12:42 05/07/2004
    > Networked gaming still isn't important, insists Nintendo boss
    >

    > Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has given an extensive talk on the
    > state of the industry to the Japan Economic Foundation - including
    > evidence from sales figures which he claims prove that online gaming
    > is not yet an important factor.

    Keep on thinking this way Nintendo...
    Yup, keep living in the stone age and see where it gets you!
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    R420 wrote:

    > Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has given an extensive talk on the
    > state of the industry to the Japan Economic Foundation - including
    > evidence from sales figures which he claims prove that online gaming
    > is not yet an important factor.
    >
    > Iwata presented sales figures for a PS2 online golf title which failed
    > to match the sales of its offline predecessor (Sony's own Minna no
    > Golf / Everybody's Golf titles, released in the west as Hot Shots
    > Golf) as "proof that customers do not want online games."

    Now, don't get me wrong. I love Nintendo as much as they next guy and
    no, online gaming is not a huge part of my gaming experience, but
    seriously now, all this says to me is that people don't want online
    *golf.* If they wanted to do a serious study on the viability of online
    gaming, they should take a bunch of online games in a variety of genres
    and see what the average results look like.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Too be honest the last thing I look for when I am searching for a console
    game is on-line gaming. I really don't see what the fuss is. I just enjoy
    playing a good game.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 15:57:50 -0400, "dementia" <bkr@bkr.bkr> wrote:

    >"R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3725

    >___
    >> Rob Fahey 12:42 05/07/2004
    >> Networked gaming still isn't important, insists Nintendo boss
    >>

    >> Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has given an extensive talk on the
    >> state of the industry to the Japan Economic Foundation - including
    >> evidence from sales figures which he claims prove that online gaming
    >> is not yet an important factor.
    >

    >Keep on thinking this way Nintendo...
    >Yup, keep living in the stone age and see where it gets you!

    Well, when the sales figures for X-Box live show that not even 75% of
    people who own an X-Box play online, I tend to think the point is well
    made.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Stephen Williams wrote:

    > R420 wrote:
    >
    > > Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has given an extensive talk on the
    > > state of the industry to the Japan Economic Foundation - including
    > > evidence from sales figures which he claims prove that online gaming
    > > is not yet an important factor.
    > >
    > > Iwata presented sales figures for a PS2 online golf title which failed
    > > to match the sales of its offline predecessor (Sony's own Minna no
    > > Golf / Everybody's Golf titles, released in the west as Hot Shots
    > > Golf) as "proof that customers do not want online games."
    >
    > Now, don't get me wrong. I love Nintendo as much as they next guy and
    > no, online gaming is not a huge part of my gaming experience, but
    > seriously now, all this says to me is that people don't want online
    > *golf.* If they wanted to do a serious study on the viability of online
    > gaming, they should take a bunch of online games in a variety of genres
    > and see what the average results look like.

    I assume Iwata is strictly talking about Japan but still his comments
    are very short-sighted. He's completely ignoring the North American
    market where his comments are way off.

    I wish Iwata would stop making Nintendo look bad evertime he opens his
    mouth.

    Adnan
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "dementia" <bkr@bkr.bkr> wrote in message

    > "R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3725

    > ___
    > > Rob Fahey 12:42 05/07/2004
    > > Networked gaming still isn't important, insists Nintendo boss
    > >

    > > Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has given an extensive talk on the
    > > state of the industry to the Japan Economic Foundation - including
    > > evidence from sales figures which he claims prove that online gaming
    > > is not yet an important factor.
    >

    > Keep on thinking this way Nintendo...
    > Yup, keep living in the stone age and see where it gets you!

    What's gonna happen? After 20+ years of being in the console
    hardware/software business they're just gonna go under just like that
    because they don't support online play atm?

    Yeah.. I kinda doubt that.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    The console onling gaming structure needs to change before I'll join in.
    PCs are best for network gaming because they are inherently
    internet-friendly, and you don't need to pay.

    --

    "If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
    Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned

    --C.S. Lewis
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 00:05:16 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
    <zork@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

    >The console onling gaming structure needs to change before I'll join in.
    > PCs are best for network gaming because they are inherently
    >internet-friendly, and you don't need to pay.

    unless the game is subs-based.
    --

    gamertag: chrisflynnuk
    Live Line-up: RS3, PGR2, Links04, SC:PT, Toca2, RSC2, MM3

    Hey

    > Keep on thinking this way Nintendo...
    > Yup, keep living in the stone age and see where it gets you!

    Iwata is just right - online gameing the way it works today
    is not interesting even to an internet flat rate user like me.
    i just dont want to pay additional money for online gaming.

    Maybe one time they will setup some distributed server
    online feature where each copy of the game also acts as
    a server so the software company has very low or no
    server costs.

    technologies could work like some server free file
    sharing networks. or the software company just
    keeps a server which is only used to find other
    nodes and thus has very low trafic and server load.

    this way online gaming could be free of additional
    charges and thus be much more interesting.

    iwata just said that online gaming isnt a good
    business modell and as far as he is speaking of
    selling online time to customers he is absolutely
    right.

    chris
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > Iwata is just right -

    I would have to agree. I've been looking at the zillion of multiplayer
    online roleplaying games, mainly Ultima 'some part' for quite a while.

    While they may be entertaining, they do not really have a well developed
    planned out thought out detailed plot to marvel about.

    What made single playing games so fantastic most of the time wasn't just
    the gameplay alone, it was just how involved you can get.

    Online games are perfect for the gathering of your friends, to engage in
    some kind of regular meetings, and enjoy each others, uh, presence.

    It's fun playing with others! Not a single doubt about that. But it's
    been hyped way too much. It is not as great as people picture it. You
    get used to it, you might lose interest queally quick.

    I've been MUD'ing since '95 or so, and that's the kind of online game to
    keep me hooked up up until this very day, hopefully for a long future to
    come.

    But those are different.

    Jammet
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Chris F wrote:
    >>The console onling gaming structure needs to change before I'll join in.
    >> PCs are best for network gaming because they are inherently
    >>internet-friendly, and you don't need to pay.
    >

    > unless the game is subs-based.

    Okay, but with most games you just need an internet connection and a CD,
    people are allowed to host their own game servers instead of relying on
    the company.

    --

    "If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
    Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned
    out of it by honest argument? Do not most people simply drift away?"

    --C.S. Lewis
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    In article <51488ce2.0407050927.51153a94@posting.google.com>,
    radeonr420@yahoo.com (R420) wrote:

    > http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3725

    > Rob Fahey 12:42 05/07/2004
    > Networked gaming still isn't important, insists Nintendo boss

    Well, for me, anything outside of in-house networking for gaming, I could
    care less about. I don't feel the need to cruise the internet for gaming
    partners. However, I am a minority here.

    Look at XBoxLive and what folks are doing with the PS2 platform. People in
    general WANT the option.

    Let's face it, it won't cost much to develop the hardware to do it, it's
    mostly the back end the developers have to create.

    --
    The Deadbeats' Hall of Lame: http://www.studio42.com/kill-the-spam/
    Where spammers are exposed for the deadbeats they truly are.

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 06:20:30 GMT, for_usenet@invalid.studio42.com
    (Chris Pickett) wrote:

    >In article <51488ce2.0407050927.51153a94@posting.google.com>,
    >radeonr420@yahoo.com (R420) wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3725

    >> Rob Fahey 12:42 05/07/2004
    >> Networked gaming still isn't important, insists Nintendo boss
    >>
    >Well, for me, anything outside of in-house networking for gaming, I could
    >care less about. I don't feel the need to cruise the internet for gaming
    >partners. However, I am a minority here.
    >
    >Look at XBoxLive and what folks are doing with the PS2 platform. People in
    >general WANT the option.

    No, they don't. Just look at the sales figures and subscriptions for
    X-Box live. People clearly do not want it yet.

    >Let's face it, it won't cost much to develop the hardware to do it, it's
    >mostly the back end the developers have to create.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Grand Inquisitor" <zork@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Chris F wrote:
    > >>The console onling gaming structure needs to change before I'll join in.
    > >> PCs are best for network gaming because they are inherently
    > >>internet-friendly, and you don't need to pay.
    > >

    > > unless the game is subs-based.
    >
    > Okay, but with most games you just need an internet connection and a CD,
    > people are allowed to host their own game servers instead of relying on
    > the company.

    You can host your own servers on XBox Live.
    I'd much rather play PC games because of their versatility, options and
    infinite downloads to add life to the games.
    Live has some real nice features though. It's a great way to meet up with
    friends and be able to talk with them at the same time. The only way to do
    this with a PC is with software that usualy needs a host site.

    If only the consoles would make use of a keyboard and mouse, I would never
    play on my PC again if that would happen.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Christoph Kögler" <cronoz@gmx.de> wrote in message news:<cccl29$2h5$02$1@news.t-online.com>...
    > Hey
    >
    > > Keep on thinking this way Nintendo...
    > > Yup, keep living in the stone age and see where it gets you!
    >
    > Iwata is just right - online gameing the way it works today
    > is not interesting even to an internet flat rate user like me.
    > i just dont want to pay additional money for online gaming.
    >
    > Maybe one time they will setup some distributed server
    > online feature where each copy of the game also acts as
    > a server so the software company has very low or no
    > server costs.
    >
    > technologies could work like some server free file
    > sharing networks. or the software company just
    > keeps a server which is only used to find other
    > nodes and thus has very low trafic and server load.
    >
    > this way online gaming could be free of additional
    > charges and thus be much more interesting.
    >
    > iwata just said that online gaming isnt a good
    > business modell and as far as he is speaking of
    > selling online time to customers he is absolutely
    > right.

    Half a million XBL customers (and growing) at $50 a clip says he's wrong.
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "David Mehrmann" <jammet@tigress.com> wrote in message

    > Iwata is just right -

    I've been MUD'ing since '95 or so, and that's the kind of online game to
    keep me hooked up up until this very day, hopefully for a long future to
    come.

    Ahh. MUDs. The "proper" online gameplaying experience. How goes the MUDding
    scene these days? Its been years since I was into that lot.
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    # David Mehrmann

    > MUDs still look the same, though the servers and clients are becoming
    > slowly more 'advanced' over time with scripting languages and all that.
    > I also play on MUCKs (no stats & fighting commands) a lot more these
    > days.

    What's a good one to try?

    --
    Toby
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > >Look at XBoxLive and what folks are doing with the PS2 platform. People
    in
    > >general WANT the option.

    > X-Box live. People clearly do not want it yet.

    He said people want the OPTION. And I think thats true... Most people I
    know bought a PS2 over Dreamcast because it had DVD capabilities, hardly any
    of them actually use it as a DVD player.

    The fact is, most people are lead by advertising and instore specs. My
    brother-in-law will always buy the product with the best specs, whether its
    better (or has better software) or not...

    Even if they have no intention of going online (and at the moment I think
    the biggest stumbling block is that a lot of people perceive it as
    complicated to achieve...) they want the OPTION to be able to...

    --
    Delameko Stone
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Delameko Stone wrote:

    > > >Look at XBoxLive and what folks are doing with the PS2 platform. People
    > in
    > > >general WANT the option.
    > >
    > > No, they don't. Just look at the sales figures and subscriptions for
    > > X-Box live. People clearly do not want it yet.
    >
    > He said people want the OPTION. And I think thats true... Most people I
    > know bought a PS2 over Dreamcast because it had DVD capabilities, hardly any
    > of them actually use it as a DVD player.
    snip

    Of course, the DC had a built in modem for online play, and which was
    being used for online play, years before the PS2 was able to do it.
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > What's a good one to try?

    It's probably not easy to find out which would be best for you, but you
    can go on http://www.mudconnect.com/ and look at the top 10 by
    popularity (top right on the page), or search by name, etc.

    Mudclients are easy to find all over the place too, and most of them are
    freeware.

    Jammet
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    And this why Nintendo is third in the console race and will be lucky to make
    out of the next one.

    --
    Jeremy Lawson
    http://home.insightbb.com/~computerandhometheaterguru/

> [...]
    > studying."
    >
    > Speaking about Nintendo's relationships with third-party companies,
    > Iwata hinted that more development deals with Western developers could
    > be in the pipeline. "We intend to expand tie-ups not only with
    > Japanese companies but also with foreign companies," he said. "We are
    > now holding negotiations with major Western game developers and will
    > be able to conclude a deal by the end of the year if things go
    > smoothly."
    >
    > He also touched briefly on the subject of Nintendo's ongoing
    > relationship with Bandai - and this time strayed from his usual script
    > on the subject by not directly denying the possibility of a takeover
    > or merger, saying only that "a closer relationship would be beneficial
    > for both sides and it will be nice if the two companies can work
    > together in doing something interesting."

  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Hi

    As i said before, most people dont want to pay for online time. so a online
    game should run without server. this is possible, like some filesharing
    systems work without central server. if all nintendo games would use the
    same online framework, it would be easy to connect and have online fun...

    > While they may be entertaining, they do not really have a well developed
    > planned out thought out detailed plot to marvel about.

    Okay, i was more thinking of normal Nintendo games for online gaming,
    for example mario kart could be a good online game. Online here would just
    be a feature for the advanced player.

    you could choose between several leagues, enter a league, wait a moment
    until enough players for that league are redy and go. that would be fun.

    The framework for online gaming should already be included in the
    operating system of the console. so ever game can use it and every
    turend on and connected console can act as a node. so online gaming
    would be available for everyone without additional costs (you only pay
    for your internet connection).

    Even Online RPGs could work this way. Included in the game is a
    good offline RPG where you level up your characters. after finishing
    the end boss you get acess to a gate to a paralell world which brings
    you to the online feature.

    this works like good old dungeons and dragens, you can be a player
    and thus member of a party, or you can be a dungeon master. As
    Master you sit down and design your own dungeon with a construction
    kit. and then you allow people to download and play and rate this level.

    Also the company selling this game has no costs for running the
    online services. So people buy the game and get online feature
    included. thats the way online gaming will work :O)

    Chris
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    # Christoph Kögler
    > Hi
    >
    > As i said before, most people dont want to pay for online time. so a online
    > game should run without server. this is possible, like some filesharing
    > systems work without central server.

    A peer-to-peer system would not work well ping-wise. For the lowest
    pings I think you need a centralised server. Next step down is running
    listen servers and waiting for guests. I think p2p style network gaming
    is only really appropriate for turnbased games.

    --
    Toby
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
    > "Christoph Kögler" <cronoz@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > > Hey
    > >
    > > > Keep on thinking this way Nintendo...
    > > > Yup, keep living in the stone age and see where it gets you!
    > >
    > > Iwata is just right - online gameing the way it works today
    > > is not interesting even to an internet flat rate user like me.
    > > i just dont want to pay additional money for online gaming.
    > >
    > > Maybe one time they will setup some distributed server
    > > online feature where each copy of the game also acts as
    > > a server so the software company has very low or no
    > > server costs.
    > >
    > > technologies could work like some server free file
    > > sharing networks. or the software company just
    > > keeps a server which is only used to find other
    > > nodes and thus has very low trafic and server load.
    > >
    > > this way online gaming could be free of additional
    > > charges and thus be much more interesting.
    > >
    > > iwata just said that online gaming isnt a good
    > > business modell and as far as he is speaking of
    > > selling online time to customers he is absolutely
    > > right.
    >
    > Half a million XBL customers (and growing) at $50 a clip says he's wrong.

    You think that's a good return on a $2 billion investment?
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > You think that's a good return on a $2 billion investment?

    Right, it's an investment. I'm sure MS didn't plan to make a profit from
    XBOX LIVE in it's infancy.

    "El Guapo" <plethora@pinatas.com> wrote in message
    > "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
    > > "Christoph Kögler" <cronoz@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > > > Hey

    > > > Iwata is just right - online gameing the way it works today
    > > > is not interesting even to an internet flat rate user like me.
    > > > i just dont want to pay additional money for online gaming.
    > > >
    > > > Maybe one time they will setup some distributed server
    > > > online feature where each copy of the game also acts as
    > > > a server so the software company has very low or no
    > > > server costs.
    > > >
    > > > technologies could work like some server free file
    > > > sharing networks. or the software company just
    > > > keeps a server which is only used to find other
    > > > nodes and thus has very low trafic and server load.
    > > >
    > > > this way online gaming could be free of additional
    > > > charges and thus be much more interesting.
    > > >
    > > > iwata just said that online gaming isnt a good
    > > > business modell and as far as he is speaking of
    > > > selling online time to customers he is absolutely
    > > > right.
    > >
    > > Half a million XBL customers (and growing) at $50 a clip says he's
    wrong.

    > You think that's a good return on a $2 billion investment?

  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3725

    ___
    > Rob Fahey 12:42 05/07/2004
    > Networked gaming still isn't important, insists Nintendo boss
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > According to highlights of his presentation which have been posted
    > online, Iwata told the foundation that "most customers do not wish to
    > pay the extra money for connection to the Internet, and for some
    > customers, connection procedures to the Internet are still not easy."

    Iwata is cited by the subject of this news post as meaning "Customers do not
    want online games", and by the title of Rob Fahey's article as insisting
    "Networked gaming still isn't important".

    However, in fairness to Iwata, he did NOT make either of those statements in
    the article. What he DID state in the article is that:
    (1) "most customers do not wish to pay the extra money for connection to
    the Internet", and
    (2) "for some customers, connection procedures to the Internet are still
    not easy".

    In my opinion, both of Iwata's real statements are very accurate, and much
    more fair than the mis-representations of his words made by the title and
    subject, which are suspect at best.

    Still, we will have to wait and see what Nintendo actually chooses to do
    about online gaming.

    Cay
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    dementia wrote:
    > You can host your own servers on XBox Live.
    > I'd much rather play PC games because of their versatility, options and
    > infinite downloads to add life to the games.
    > Live has some real nice features though. It's a great way to meet up with
    > friends and be able to talk with them at the same time. The only way to do
    > this with a PC is with software that usualy needs a host site.
    >
    > If only the consoles would make use of a keyboard and mouse, I would never
    > play on my PC again if that would happen.

    What you want is a PC that hooks up to a tv. All you need is a video
    card with a composite, S, or component out.

    Every time a new crop of consoles is coming up people talk about how
    great it would be for a console to do everything a PC does, i.e.
    keyboard, mouse, internet, web browser, etc.

    --

    "If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
    Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned
    out of it by honest argument? Do not most people simply drift away?"

    --C.S. Lewis
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > dementia wrote:
    > > You can host your own servers on XBox Live.
    > > I'd much rather play PC games because of their versatility, options and
    > > infinite downloads to add life to the games.
    > > Live has some real nice features though. It's a great way to meet up
    with
    > > friends and be able to talk with them at the same time. The only way to
    do
    > > this with a PC is with software that usualy needs a host site.
    > >
    > > If only the consoles would make use of a keyboard and mouse, I would
    never
    > > play on my PC again if that would happen.
    >
    > What you want is a PC that hooks up to a tv. All you need is a video
    > card with a composite, S, or component out.
    >
    > Every time a new crop of consoles is coming up people talk about how
    > great it would be for a console to do everything a PC does, i.e.
    > keyboard, mouse, internet, web browser, etc.

    I have my PC hooked up to my RPTV and front projector using a DVI cable.
    I would rather the ease of use of a console with a mouse and keyboard
    because my favorite games are FPS style.
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Cay wrote:

    > "R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3725

    > ___
    > > Rob Fahey 12:42 05/07/2004
    > > Networked gaming still isn't important, insists Nintendo boss
    > >
    > > [snip]
    > >
    > > According to highlights of his presentation which have been posted
    > > online, Iwata told the foundation that "most customers do not wish to
    > > pay the extra money for connection to the Internet, and for some
    > > customers, connection procedures to the Internet are still not easy."
    >
    > Iwata is cited by the subject of this news post as meaning "Customers do not
    > want online games", and by the title of Rob Fahey's article as insisting
    > "Networked gaming still isn't important".
    >
    > However, in fairness to Iwata, he did NOT make either of those statements in
    > the article. What he DID state in the article is that:
    > (1) "most customers do not wish to pay the extra money for connection to
    > the Internet", and
    > (2) "for some customers, connection procedures to the Internet are still
    > not easy".

    According to the article, Iwata also says: "proof that customers do not
    want online games." in regards to Hot Shots Golf.

    Adnan

    > In my opinion, both of Iwata's real statements are very accurate, and much
    > more fair than the mis-representations of his words made by the title and
    > subject, which are suspect at best.
    >
    > Still, we will have to wait and see what Nintendo actually chooses to do
    > about online gaming.
    >
    > Cay
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Adnan" <bekat@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Cay wrote:
    > >
    > > "R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3725

    > > ___
    > > > Rob Fahey 12:42 05/07/2004
    > > > Networked gaming still isn't important, insists Nintendo boss
    > > >
    > > > [snip]
    > > >
    > > > According to highlights of his presentation which have been posted
    > > > online, Iwata told the foundation that "most customers do not wish to
    > > > pay the extra money for connection to the Internet, and for some
    > > > customers, connection procedures to the Internet are still not easy."
    > >
    > > Iwata is cited by the subject of this news post as meaning "Customers do
    not
    > > want online games", and by the title of Rob Fahey's article as insisting
    > > "Networked gaming still isn't important".
    > >
    > > However, in fairness to Iwata, he did NOT make either of those
    statements in
    > > the article. What he DID state in the article is that:
    > > (1) "most customers do not wish to pay the extra money for connection
    > > the Internet", and
    > > (2) "for some customers, connection procedures to the Internet are
    still
    > > not easy".
    >
    > According to the article, Iwata also says: "proof that customers do not
    > want online games." in regards to Hot Shots Golf.

    Were those his words, and not the editor's? If so, then my mistake.
    Apparently, the presentation is "posted online" somewhere, but I couldn't
    find it. It would be interesting to read all that is posted.

    Cay
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    dementia wrote:
    > I have my PC hooked up to my RPTV and front projector using a DVI cable.
    > I would rather the ease of use of a console with a mouse and keyboard
    > because my favorite games are FPS style.

    Get an XVGA projector. Or failing that, a wireless mouse and keyboard.

    --

    "If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
    Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned
    out of it by honest argument? Do not most people simply drift away?"

    --C.S. Lewis
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Chris Pickett wrote:

    > Of course, charging people to use the online service is what is killing
    > this thing. They want it, but only a small percentage like coughing up the
    > money.

    That and broadband still isn't available in many areas.
  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "El Guapo" <plethora@pinatas.com> wrote in message news:<JfCGc.34667$XM6.21141@attbi_s53>...
    > "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
    > > "Christoph Kögler" <cronoz@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > > > Hey

    > > > Iwata is just right - online gameing the way it works today
    > > > is not interesting even to an internet flat rate user like me.
    > > > i just dont want to pay additional money for online gaming.
    > > >
    > > > Maybe one time they will setup some distributed server
    > > > online feature where each copy of the game also acts as
    > > > a server so the software company has very low or no
    > > > server costs.
    > > >
    > > > technologies could work like some server free file
    > > > sharing networks. or the software company just
    > > > keeps a server which is only used to find other
    > > > nodes and thus has very low trafic and server load.
    > > >
    > > > this way online gaming could be free of additional
    > > > charges and thus be much more interesting.
    > > >
    > > > iwata just said that online gaming isnt a good
    > > > business modell and as far as he is speaking of
    > > > selling online time to customers he is absolutely
    > > > right.
    > >
    > > Half a million XBL customers (and growing) at $50 a clip says he's wrong.
    >
    > You think that's a good return on a $2 billion investment?

    XBL isn't a $2 billion investment, besides I thought Nintendo was the
    one video game company that actually cared about the gamer/customer
    more so than teh mighty dollar? Sony and MS are always getting
    slammed for putting the dollar before the gamer, but Nintendo is just
    as bad (sometimes worse). Instead of offering what the gamer wants,
    they nix it 'cause it's not cost effective (or whatever reason they
    use).

    Not really the gamer-loving company people think they are.
  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "xcube" <xcube@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > You think that's a good return on a $2 billion investment?
    >
    > Right, it's an investment. I'm sure MS didn't plan to make a profit from
    > XBOX LIVE in it's infancy.

    Exactly Nintendo's point. It *might* turn out to be a good long term
    strategy for MS. But they aren't making any money on it, quite the
    opposite.
  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > "El Guapo" <plethora@pinatas.com> wrote in message
    > > "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
    > > > "Christoph Kögler" <cronoz@gmx.de> wrote in message

    > > > Half a million XBL customers (and growing) at $50 a clip says he's
    wrong.

    > > You think that's a good return on a $2 billion investment?
    >
    > XBL isn't a $2 billion investment, besides I thought Nintendo was the
    > one video game company that actually cared about the gamer/customer
    > more so than teh mighty dollar? Sony and MS are always getting
    > slammed for putting the dollar before the gamer, but Nintendo is just
    > as bad (sometimes worse). Instead of offering what the gamer wants,
    > they nix it 'cause it's not cost effective (or whatever reason they
    > use).
    >
    > Not really the gamer-loving company people think they are.

    Which doesn't explain why their games are vastly superior to others.
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Cay wrote:

    > "Adnan" <bekat@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > Cay wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > >
    > http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3725

    > > > ___

    > > > Iwata is cited by the subject of this news post as meaning "Customers do
    > not
    > > > want online games", and by the title of Rob Fahey's article as insisting
    > > > "Networked gaming still isn't important".
    > > >
    > > > However, in fairness to Iwata, he did NOT make either of those
    > statements in
    > > > the article. What he DID state in the article is that:
    > > > (1) "most customers do not wish to pay the extra money for connection
    > > > the Internet", and
    > > > (2) "for some customers, connection procedures to the Internet are
    > still
    > > > not easy".
    > >
    > > According to the article, Iwata also says: "proof that customers do not
    > > want online games." in regards to Hot Shots Golf.
    >
    > Were those his words, and not the editor's? If so, then my mistake.
    > Apparently, the presentation is "posted online" somewhere, but I couldn't
    > find it. It would be interesting to read all that is posted.
    >
    > Cay

    Well when quotes (') are used it usually means that the comment is
    attributed to the person being interviewed.

    Adnan
  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 18:56:06 -0400, "xcube" <xcube@hotmail.com> thought
    hard and said:

    >> You think that's a good return on a $2 billion investment?
    >
    >Right, it's an investment. I'm sure MS didn't plan to make a profit from
    >XBOX LIVE in it's infancy.

    I doubt they will make a profit at all.
    --
    -Daniel "Mr. Brevity" Kolle; 16 A.A. #2035
    Koji Kondo, Yo-Yo Ma, Gustav Mahler, Krzysztof Penderecki, and Geirr Tveitt are my Gods.

    In article <G1IGc.32028$JG5.646172@news20.bellglobal.com>, "Cay"
    <kennawaymacgregor@h0tmail.com> wrote:

    > "R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3725

    > ___
    > > Rob Fahey 12:42 05/07/2004
    > > Networked gaming still isn't important, insists Nintendo boss
    > >
    > > [snip]
    > >
    > > According to highlights of his presentation which have been posted
    > > online, Iwata told the foundation that "most customers do not wish to
    > > pay the extra money for connection to the Internet, and for some
    > > customers, connection procedures to the Internet are still not easy."
    >
    > Iwata is cited by the subject of this news post as meaning "Customers do not
    > want online games", and by the title of Rob Fahey's article as insisting
    > "Networked gaming still isn't important".
    >
    > However, in fairness to Iwata, he did NOT make either of those statements in
    > the article. What he DID state in the article is that:
    > (1) "most customers do not wish to pay the extra money for connection to
    > the Internet", and
    > (2) "for some customers, connection procedures to the Internet are still
    > not easy".
    >
    > In my opinion, both of Iwata's real statements are very accurate, and much
    > more fair than the mis-representations of his words made by the title and
    > subject, which are suspect at best.

    True. Most customers already got stuck for the gaming hardware or computer
    system appropriately spec'd out. Then they are out money for the game
    itself. They might also have to fork over additional money for adaptors
    for the gaming systems and/or computer. PLUS: tag onto that ISP charges(be
    it anything from dial-up to personal T3's and everything in between)

    And for some customers, well, the internet was marketed to morons, and
    well, look what signed up: morons. Not to try to be snotty and elitist,
    but there are too many idiots on the internet in the first place. It's
    great that access is easy, but there needs to be a written test for home
    users as well as a practical applications portion(like: DO use a firewall
    between your computer(s) and the broadband link. DO use anti-virus
    software and scan daily and keep it current and updated).

    I mean, depending on how you go, once the initial set-up is done, it's
    "plug in the cat5 cable and go do it".

    > Still, we will have to wait and see what Nintendo actually chooses to do
    > about online gaming.
    >
    > Cay

    Doesn't matter to me, I won't use it. But, I still think Nintendo should
    persue it.

    --
    The Deadbeats' Hall of Lame: http://www.studio42.com/kill-the-spam/
    Where spammers are exposed for the deadbeats they truly are.
    California Resident says: We've upped our standards, so now UP YOURS!
    Don't respond to this address. It's invalid and I own the domain.
  39. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    They don't want "GBA Connectivity" either. But Nintendo seems to waste
    their time on it.

> [...]
    > studying."
    >
    > Speaking about Nintendo's relationships with third-party companies,
    > Iwata hinted that more development deals with Western developers could
    > be in the pipeline. "We intend to expand tie-ups not only with
    > Japanese companies but also with foreign companies," he said. "We are
    > now holding negotiations with major Western game developers and will
    > be able to conclude a deal by the end of the year if things go
    > smoothly."
    >
    > He also touched briefly on the subject of Nintendo's ongoing
    > relationship with Bandai - and this time strayed from his usual script
    > on the subject by not directly denying the possibility of a takeover
    > or merger, saying only that "a closer relationship would be beneficial
    > for both sides and it will be nice if the two companies can work
    > together in doing something interesting."

  40. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "carlos' casa" <abuse@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Which doesn't explain why their games are vastly superior to others.

    I was waiting for some weirdo to say something like this. Still, it allways
    makes me laugh when I hear it.
  41. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Michael Cargill" <mikementalist@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
    > "carlos' casa" <abuse@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Which doesn't explain why their games are vastly superior to others.
    >
    > I was waiting for some weirdo to say something like this. Still, it
    allways
    > makes me laugh when I hear it.

    My pleasure.
  42. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Actually yes this player does want GBA connectivity. I especially love it
    when I am playing Animal Crossing.
  43. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > wrong.
    > > >
    > > > You think that's a good return on a $2 billion investment?
    > >
    > > XBL isn't a $2 billion investment, besides I thought Nintendo was the
    > > one video game company that actually cared about the gamer/customer
    > > more so than teh mighty dollar? Sony and MS are always getting
    > > slammed for putting the dollar before the gamer, but Nintendo is just
    > > as bad (sometimes worse). Instead of offering what the gamer wants,
    > > they nix it 'cause it's not cost effective (or whatever reason they
    > > use).
    > >
    > > Not really the gamer-loving company people think they are.
    >
    > Which doesn't explain why their games are vastly superior to others.

    The eighties are over, Nintendo is no longer "vastly superior" in anything.
  44. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "carlos' casa" <abuse@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
    > > "El Guapo" <plethora@pinatas.com> wrote in message
    > > > "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

    > wrong.
    > > >
    > > > You think that's a good return on a $2 billion investment?
    > >
    > > XBL isn't a $2 billion investment, besides I thought Nintendo was the
    > > one video game company that actually cared about the gamer/customer
    > > more so than teh mighty dollar? Sony and MS are always getting
    > > slammed for putting the dollar before the gamer, but Nintendo is just
    > > as bad (sometimes worse). Instead of offering what the gamer wants,
    > > they nix it 'cause it's not cost effective (or whatever reason they
    > > use).
    > >
    > > Not really the gamer-loving company people think they are.
    >
    > Which doesn't explain why their games are vastly superior to others.

    OMG! Dude take off your blinders!
  45. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Aaron Pynn wrote:

    > Actually yes this player does want GBA connectivity. I especially love it
    > when I am playing Animal Crossing.

    Yeah but I'm sure more would prefer online play over GBA connectivity
    especially with multiplayer games like Four Swords and Final Fantasy:
    CC.

    Adnan
  46. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
    > "El Guapo" <plethora@pinatas.com> wrote in message
    > > "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
    > > > "Christoph Kögler" <cronoz@gmx.de> wrote in message

    > > > Half a million XBL customers (and growing) at $50 a clip says he's
    wrong.

    > > You think that's a good return on a $2 billion investment?
    >
    > XBL isn't a $2 billion investment,

    According to MS it is.

    > besides I thought Nintendo was the
    > one video game company that actually cared about the gamer/customer
    > more so than teh mighty dollar?

    They do? News to me.

    > Sony and MS are always getting
    > slammed for putting the dollar before the gamer, but Nintendo is just
    > as bad (sometimes worse). Instead of offering what the gamer wants,
    > they nix it 'cause it's not cost effective (or whatever reason they
    > use).
    >
    > Not really the gamer-loving company people think they are.

    The difference between the companies is that Nintendo relies 100% on the
    game industry to survive, which means that they do in fact have more of a
    stake in its future. That's why they are extremely concerned about the
    financial stability of the industry. That doesn't mean that they are always
    right, but they do bring an important long term perspective that shouldn't
    be ignored.
  47. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "El Guapo" <plethora@pinatas.com> wrote in message news:<WYbHc.45805$XM6.12715@attbi_s53>...
    > "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
    > > "El Guapo" <plethora@pinatas.com> wrote in message
    > > > "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

    > wrong.
    > > >
    > > > You think that's a good return on a $2 billion investment?
    > >
    > > XBL isn't a $2 billion investment,
    >
    > According to MS it is.
    >
    > > besides I thought Nintendo was the
    > > one video game company that actually cared about the gamer/customer
    > > more so than teh mighty dollar?
    >
    > They do? News to me.
    >
    > > Sony and MS are always getting
    > > slammed for putting the dollar before the gamer, but Nintendo is just
    > > as bad (sometimes worse). Instead of offering what the gamer wants,
    > > they nix it 'cause it's not cost effective (or whatever reason they
    > > use).
    > >
    > > Not really the gamer-loving company people think they are.
    >
    > The difference between the companies is that Nintendo relies 100% on the
    > game industry to survive, which means that they do in fact have more of a
    > stake in its future. That's why they are extremely concerned about the
    > financial stability of the industry. That doesn't mean that they are always
    > right, but they do bring an important long term perspective that shouldn't
    > be ignored.

    Good point well made. Sony can always fall back its audio/video/music
    publishing or film studios (!) for revenue should it need to and
    Microsoft has always got the latest version of Windoze up it's sleeve
    to generate income. Being a one-trick pony so to speak ensures a
    consistent approach to moneymaking if your income depends on just one
    range of core products.
  48. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > Really; "Which doesn't explain why their games are vastly superior to
    > others."
    > Please, point out to me which games are "VASTLY SUPERIOR" to top PS2 and
    > XBox games.

    I think 'vastly' can't really be used, as the consoles are really so close
    that its futile to say (beyond gameplay considerations) that any game vastly
    is superior or inferior to another...

    I will say that Gamecube's hardware is equal if not slightly better than the
    X-Box, no matter what Microsoft say... They say games like Morrowind,
    Bloodwake or Halo can't be done elsewhere, but Starfox Adventures surpasses
    them on the effects they cite as their selling points. Star Wars Rogue
    Leader still has the highest polygons per second count in at 15m. (I can go
    into more detail if necessary).

    I'm not dissing the x-box, I have an x-box, and love it, and like I say, the
    differences in hardware is really so small that it hardly matters. But
    Gamecube actually has a slight edge over the X-Box.

    A little quote to finish:
    -IGNcube: What would you say to someone who claims GameCube is not as
    powerful as Xbox or PS2?

    -Thomas (Factor 5): I would say both machines have very sophisticated
    designs. They each have their strong points. GameCube has one thing that we
    especially like that Xbox in some respect really lacks. Though the numbers
    you see published are not quite reflecting it, architecture wise bandwidth
    on GameCube is unbelievably high. We have been pulling through huge textures
    and there is no degradation in speed. It's always more difficult to do that
    on architecture like Xbox, but certainly both machines are very, very
    capable and it depends on the games.

    -IGNcube: What about PS2?

    -Thomas (Factor 5): PS2 lacks a great many things.

    [Laughter around the table]
  49. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Delameko Stone" <dlux@REMOVEjslater.plus.com> wrote in message

    > > Really; "Which doesn't explain why their games are vastly superior to
    > > others."
    > > Please, point out to me which games are "VASTLY SUPERIOR" to top PS2 and
    > > XBox games.
    >
    > I think 'vastly' can't really be used, as the consoles are really so close
    > that its futile to say (beyond gameplay considerations) that any game
    vastly
    > is superior or inferior to another...

    That is exactly my point as to why I ask menu moron to point out the "VASTLY
    SUPERIOR" games Nintendo has over it's competitors. They have "NONE".
    I am extremely disappointed with the games made for the GameCube. By far it
    has the weakest library of games in both quality and quantity. I am also not
    too happy with their choice not to have 480p support (or higher) with every
    title, digital sound or online gaming. How could they let "first timers" MS
    pass them by?
    They need to move into a different direction if they are going to be a
    serious contender in the next console genre.

Console Gaming Games Video Nintendo Video Games