"Customers do not want online games" - Iwata

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3725
Rob Fahey 12:42 05/07/2004
Networked gaming still isn't important, insists Nintendo boss

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has given an extensive talk on the
state of the industry to the Japan Economic Foundation - including
evidence from sales figures which he claims prove that online gaming
is not yet an important factor.

Iwata presented sales figures for a PS2 online golf title which failed
to match the sales of its offline predecessor (Sony's own Minna no
Golf / Everybody's Golf titles, released in the west as Hot Shots
Golf) as "proof that customers do not want online games."

According to highlights of his presentation which have been posted
online, Iwata told the foundation that "most customers do not wish to
pay the extra money for connection to the Internet, and for some
customers, connection procedures to the Internet are still not easy."

Alone out of the three major platform holders in the current
generation of hardware, Nintendo has been reluctant to commit to
online gaming; the company launched a modem and broadband adapter for
the console in order to support online titles from other companies,
but has not developed any such titles of its own.

With both Sony and Microsoft's future console plans featuring online
as a core component, it's still not clear how Nintendo will
incorporate connectivity into its next-generation "Revolution" console
- if at all.

However, the company has been much more positive about the potential
of wireless connectivity for its handheld devices, launching a
successful wireless adapter for the Game Boy Advance and integrating
both Bluetooth and 802.11b Wireless LAN technologies into the
forthcoming Nintendo DS handheld.

Elsewhere in his address to the foundation, Iwata also covered the
perception of Nintendo as a company which targets its products largely
at the kids market. "Game software should neither be exclusively be
targeted at children nor adults," he said. "Instead, we will develop
software which anyone can instantly understand."

However, he did acknowledge the growing trend within the industry for
creating mature games, adding simply that "at the same time,
production of software readily acceptable to adults is worth
studying."

Speaking about Nintendo's relationships with third-party companies,
Iwata hinted that more development deals with Western developers could
be in the pipeline. "We intend to expand tie-ups not only with
Japanese companies but also with foreign companies," he said. "We are
now holding negotiations with major Western game developers and will
be able to conclude a deal by the end of the year if things go
smoothly."

He also touched briefly on the subject of Nintendo's ongoing
relationship with Bandai - and this time strayed from his usual script
on the subject by not directly denying the possibility of a takeover
or merger, saying only that "a closer relationship would be beneficial
for both sides and it will be nice if the two companies can work
together in doing something interesting."

dementia

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

"R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3725

___
> Rob Fahey 12:42 05/07/2004
> Networked gaming still isn't important, insists Nintendo boss
>

> Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has given an extensive talk on the
> state of the industry to the Japan Economic Foundation - including
> evidence from sales figures which he claims prove that online gaming
> is not yet an important factor.

Keep on thinking this way Nintendo...
Yup, keep living in the stone age and see where it gets you!

R420 wrote:

> Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has given an extensive talk on the
> state of the industry to the Japan Economic Foundation - including
> evidence from sales figures which he claims prove that online gaming
> is not yet an important factor.
>
> Iwata presented sales figures for a PS2 online golf title which failed
> to match the sales of its offline predecessor (Sony's own Minna no
> Golf / Everybody's Golf titles, released in the west as Hot Shots
> Golf) as "proof that customers do not want online games."

Now, don't get me wrong. I love Nintendo as much as they next guy and
no, online gaming is not a huge part of my gaming experience, but
seriously now, all this says to me is that people don't want online
*golf.* If they wanted to do a serious study on the viability of online
gaming, they should take a bunch of online games in a variety of genres
and see what the average results look like.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Too be honest the last thing I look for when I am searching for a console
game is on-line gaming. I really don't see what the fuss is. I just enjoy
playing a good game.

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 15:57:50 -0400, "dementia" <bkr@bkr.bkr> wrote:

>"R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3725

>___
>> Rob Fahey 12:42 05/07/2004
>> Networked gaming still isn't important, insists Nintendo boss
>>

>> Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has given an extensive talk on the
>> state of the industry to the Japan Economic Foundation - including
>> evidence from sales figures which he claims prove that online gaming
>> is not yet an important factor.
>

>Keep on thinking this way Nintendo...
>Yup, keep living in the stone age and see where it gets you!

Well, when the sales figures for X-Box live show that not even 75% of
people who own an X-Box play online, I tend to think the point is well
made.

Stephen Williams wrote:

> R420 wrote:
>
> > Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has given an extensive talk on the
> > state of the industry to the Japan Economic Foundation - including
> > evidence from sales figures which he claims prove that online gaming
> > is not yet an important factor.
> >
> > Iwata presented sales figures for a PS2 online golf title which failed
> > to match the sales of its offline predecessor (Sony's own Minna no
> > Golf / Everybody's Golf titles, released in the west as Hot Shots
> > Golf) as "proof that customers do not want online games."
>
> Now, don't get me wrong. I love Nintendo as much as they next guy and
> no, online gaming is not a huge part of my gaming experience, but
> seriously now, all this says to me is that people don't want online
> *golf.* If they wanted to do a serious study on the viability of online
> gaming, they should take a bunch of online games in a variety of genres
> and see what the average results look like.

I assume Iwata is strictly talking about Japan but still his comments
are very short-sighted. He's completely ignoring the North American
market where his comments are way off.

I wish Iwata would stop making Nintendo look bad evertime he opens his
mouth.

Adnan

"dementia" <bkr@bkr.bkr> wrote in message

> "R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3725

> ___
> > Rob Fahey 12:42 05/07/2004
> > Networked gaming still isn't important, insists Nintendo boss
> >

> > Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has given an extensive talk on the
> > state of the industry to the Japan Economic Foundation - including
> > evidence from sales figures which he claims prove that online gaming
> > is not yet an important factor.
>

> Keep on thinking this way Nintendo...
> Yup, keep living in the stone age and see where it gets you!

What's gonna happen? After 20+ years of being in the console
hardware/software business they're just gonna go under just like that
because they don't support online play atm?

Yeah.. I kinda doubt that.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

The console onling gaming structure needs to change before I'll join in.
PCs are best for network gaming because they are inherently
internet-friendly, and you don't need to pay.

--

"If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned

--C.S. Lewis

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 00:05:16 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
<zork@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

>The console onling gaming structure needs to change before I'll join in.
> PCs are best for network gaming because they are inherently
>internet-friendly, and you don't need to pay.

unless the game is subs-based.
--

gamertag: chrisflynnuk
Live Line-up: RS3, PGR2, Links04, SC:pT, Toca2, RSC2, MM3

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Hey

> Keep on thinking this way Nintendo...
> Yup, keep living in the stone age and see where it gets you!

Iwata is just right - online gameing the way it works today
is not interesting even to an internet flat rate user like me.
i just dont want to pay additional money for online gaming.

Maybe one time they will setup some distributed server
online feature where each copy of the game also acts as
a server so the software company has very low or no
server costs.

technologies could work like some server free file
sharing networks. or the software company just
keeps a server which is only used to find other
nodes and thus has very low trafic and server load.

this way online gaming could be free of additional
charges and thus be much more interesting.

iwata just said that online gaming isnt a good
business modell and as far as he is speaking of
selling online time to customers he is absolutely
right.

chris

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

> Iwata is just right -

I would have to agree. I've been looking at the zillion of multiplayer
online roleplaying games, mainly Ultima 'some part' for quite a while.

While they may be entertaining, they do not really have a well developed
planned out thought out detailed plot to marvel about.

What made single playing games so fantastic most of the time wasn't just
the gameplay alone, it was just how involved you can get.

Online games are perfect for the gathering of your friends, to engage in
some kind of regular meetings, and enjoy each others, uh, presence.

It's fun playing with others! Not a single doubt about that. But it's
been hyped way too much. It is not as great as people picture it. You
get used to it, you might lose interest queally quick.

I've been MUD'ing since '95 or so, and that's the kind of online game to
keep me hooked up up until this very day, hopefully for a long future to
come.

But those are different.

Jammet

Chris F wrote:
>>The console onling gaming structure needs to change before I'll join in.
>> PCs are best for network gaming because they are inherently
>>internet-friendly, and you don't need to pay.
>

> unless the game is subs-based.

Okay, but with most games you just need an internet connection and a CD,
people are allowed to host their own game servers instead of relying on
the company.

--

In article <51488ce2.0407050927.51153a94@posting.google.com>,
radeonr420@yahoo.com (R420) wrote:

> http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3725

> Rob Fahey 12:42 05/07/2004
> Networked gaming still isn't important, insists Nintendo boss

Well, for me, anything outside of in-house networking for gaming, I could
care less about. I don't feel the need to cruise the internet for gaming
partners. However, I am a minority here.

Look at XBoxLive and what folks are doing with the PS2 platform. People in
general WANT the option.

Let's face it, it won't cost much to develop the hardware to do it, it's
mostly the back end the developers have to create.

--
The Deadbeats' Hall of Lame: http://www.studio42.com/kill-the-spam/
Where spammers are exposed for the deadbeats they truly are.

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 06:20:30 GMT, for_usenet@invalid.studio42.com
(Chris Pickett) wrote:

>In article <51488ce2.0407050927.51153a94@posting.google.com>,
>radeonr420@yahoo.com (R420) wrote:
>
>> http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3725

>> Rob Fahey 12:42 05/07/2004
>> Networked gaming still isn't important, insists Nintendo boss
>>
>Well, for me, anything outside of in-house networking for gaming, I could
>care less about. I don't feel the need to cruise the internet for gaming
>partners. However, I am a minority here.
>
>Look at XBoxLive and what folks are doing with the PS2 platform. People in
>general WANT the option.

No, they don't. Just look at the sales figures and subscriptions for
X-Box live. People clearly do not want it yet.

"Grand Inquisitor" <zork@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> Chris F wrote:
> >>The console onling gaming structure needs to change before I'll join in.
> >> PCs are best for network gaming because they are inherently
> >>internet-friendly, and you don't need to pay.
> >

> > unless the game is subs-based.
>
> Okay, but with most games you just need an internet connection and a CD,
> people are allowed to host their own game servers instead of relying on
> the company.

You can host your own servers on XBox Live.
I'd much rather play PC games because of their versatility, options and
infinite downloads to add life to the games.
Live has some real nice features though. It's a great way to meet up with
friends and be able to talk with them at the same time. The only way to do
this with a PC is with software that usualy needs a host site.

If only the consoles would make use of a keyboard and mouse, I would never
play on my PC again if that would happen.

"Christoph Kögler" <cronoz@gmx.de> wrote in message news:<cccl29$2h5$02$1@news.t-online.com>...
> Hey
>
> > Keep on thinking this way Nintendo...
> > Yup, keep living in the stone age and see where it gets you!
>
> Iwata is just right - online gameing the way it works today
> is not interesting even to an internet flat rate user like me.
> i just dont want to pay additional money for online gaming.
>
> Maybe one time they will setup some distributed server
> online feature where each copy of the game also acts as
> a server so the software company has very low or no
> server costs.
>
> technologies could work like some server free file
> sharing networks. or the software company just
> keeps a server which is only used to find other
> nodes and thus has very low trafic and server load.
>
> this way online gaming could be free of additional
> charges and thus be much more interesting.
>
> iwata just said that online gaming isnt a good
> business modell and as far as he is speaking of
> selling online time to customers he is absolutely
> right.

Half a million XBL customers (and growing) at $50 a clip says he's wrong.

"David Mehrmann" <jammet@tigress.com> wrote in message

> Iwata is just right -

I've been MUD'ing since '95 or so, and that's the kind of online game to
keep me hooked up up until this very day, hopefully for a long future to
come.

Ahh. MUDs. The "proper" online gameplaying experience. How goes the MUDding
scene these days? Its been years since I was into that lot.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

# David Mehrmann

> MUDs still look the same, though the servers and clients are becoming
> slowly more 'advanced' over time with scripting languages and all that.
> I also play on MUCKs (no stats & fighting commands) a lot more these
> days.

What's a good one to try?

--
Toby

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

> >Look at XBoxLive and what folks are doing with the PS2 platform. People
in
> >general WANT the option.
>
> No, they don't. Just look at the sales figures and subscriptions for
> X-Box live. People clearly do not want it yet.

He said people want the OPTION. And I think thats true... Most people I
know bought a PS2 over Dreamcast because it had DVD capabilities, hardly any
of them actually use it as a DVD player.

The fact is, most people are lead by advertising and instore specs. My
brother-in-law will always buy the product with the best specs, whether its
better (or has better software) or not...

Even if they have no intention of going online (and at the moment I think
the biggest stumbling block is that a lot of people perceive it as
complicated to achieve...) they want the OPTION to be able to...

--
Delameko Stone

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

Delameko Stone wrote:

> > >Look at XBoxLive and what folks are doing with the PS2 platform. People
> in
> > >general WANT the option.
> >
> > No, they don't. Just look at the sales figures and subscriptions for
> > X-Box live. People clearly do not want it yet.
>
> He said people want the OPTION. And I think thats true... Most people I
> know bought a PS2 over Dreamcast because it had DVD capabilities, hardly any
> of them actually use it as a DVD player.
snip

Of course, the DC had a built in modem for online play, and which was
being used for online play, years before the PS2 was able to do it.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

> What's a good one to try?

It's probably not easy to find out which would be best for you, but you
can go on http://www.mudconnect.com/ and look at the top 10 by
popularity (top right on the page), or search by name, etc.

Mudclients are easy to find all over the place too, and most of them are
freeware.

Jammet

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

And this why Nintendo is third in the console race and will be lucky to make
out of the next one.

--
Jeremy Lawson
http://home.insightbb.com/~computerandhometheaterguru/

> [...]
> be in the pipeline. "We intend to expand tie-ups not only with
> Japanese companies but also with foreign companies," he said. "We are
> now holding negotiations with major Western game developers and will
> be able to conclude a deal by the end of the year if things go
> smoothly."
>
> He also touched briefly on the subject of Nintendo's ongoing
> relationship with Bandai - and this time strayed from his usual script
> on the subject by not directly denying the possibility of a takeover
> or merger, saying only that "a closer relationship would be beneficial
> for both sides and it will be nice if the two companies can work
> together in doing something interesting."

___

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Hi

As i said before, most people dont want to pay for online time. so a online
game should run without server. this is possible, like some filesharing
systems work without central server. if all nintendo games would use the
same online framework, it would be easy to connect and have online fun...

> While they may be entertaining, they do not really have a well developed
> planned out thought out detailed plot to marvel about.

Okay, i was more thinking of normal Nintendo games for online gaming,
for example mario kart could be a good online game. Online here would just
be a feature for the advanced player.

you could choose between several leagues, enter a league, wait a moment
until enough players for that league are redy and go. that would be fun.

The framework for online gaming should already be included in the
operating system of the console. so ever game can use it and every
turend on and connected console can act as a node. so online gaming
would be available for everyone without additional costs (you only pay
for your internet connection).

Even Online RPGs could work this way. Included in the game is a
good offline RPG where you level up your characters. after finishing
the end boss you get acess to a gate to a paralell world which brings
you to the online feature.

this works like good old dungeons and dragens, you can be a player
and thus member of a party, or you can be a dungeon master. As
Master you sit down and design your own dungeon with a construction
kit. and then you allow people to download and play and rate this level.

Also the company selling this game has no costs for running the
online services. So people buy the game and get online feature
included. thats the way online gaming will work :O)

Chris

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

# Christoph Kögler
> Hi
>
> As i said before, most people dont want to pay for online time. so a online
> game should run without server. this is possible, like some filesharing
> systems work without central server.

A peer-to-peer system would not work well ping-wise. For the lowest
pings I think you need a centralised server. Next step down is running
listen servers and waiting for guests. I think p2p style network gaming
is only really appropriate for turnbased games.

--
Toby

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
> "Christoph Kögler" <cronoz@gmx.de> wrote in message
> > Hey
> >
> > > Keep on thinking this way Nintendo...
> > > Yup, keep living in the stone age and see where it gets you!
> >
> > Iwata is just right - online gameing the way it works today
> > is not interesting even to an internet flat rate user like me.
> > i just dont want to pay additional money for online gaming.
> >
> > Maybe one time they will setup some distributed server
> > online feature where each copy of the game also acts as
> > a server so the software company has very low or no
> > server costs.
> >
> > technologies could work like some server free file
> > sharing networks. or the software company just
> > keeps a server which is only used to find other
> > nodes and thus has very low trafic and server load.
> >
> > this way online gaming could be free of additional
> > charges and thus be much more interesting.
> >
> > iwata just said that online gaming isnt a good
> > business modell and as far as he is speaking of
> > selling online time to customers he is absolutely
> > right.
>
> Half a million XBL customers (and growing) at $50 a clip says he's wrong.

You think that's a good return on a $2 billion investment?