"Customers do not want online games" - Iwata - Page 2

Last response: in Video Games
July 11, 2004 8:45:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

sardu penned this response in uk.games.video.gamecube to a possibly
pointless meandering on Wed, 07 Jul 2004 21:01:52 GMT:

>They don't want "GBA Connectivity" either. But Nintendo seems to waste
>their time on it.

And what have Sony been touting as one of the many revolutionary
features of the PSP? If you said connectivity then give yourself a
cookie.

Of course, as further proof of how wantonly corrupt videogames
journalists are, the same ones who've been only to willing to kick
Nintendo for GC/GBA connectivity are cheering PS2/PSP connectivity.

--
contact: rev9of8@hotmail.com
"In your day you were slacking if you didn't get in a

The Reverend Bob wrote:

> sardu penned this response in uk.games.video.gamecube to a possibly
> pointless meandering on Wed, 07 Jul 2004 21:01:52 GMT:
>
> >They don't want "GBA Connectivity" either. But Nintendo seems to waste
> >their time on it.
>
> And what have Sony been touting as one of the many revolutionary
> features of the PSP? If you said connectivity then give yourself a
> cookie.
>
> Of course, as further proof of how wantonly corrupt videogames
> journalists are, the same ones who've been only to willing to kick
> Nintendo for GC/GBA connectivity are cheering PS2/PSP connectivity.

Well in the case of PS2/PSP connectivity it is not meant to be a
replacemen or a substitute to online gaming. In Nintendo's case that was
the case. Nintendo was basically telling people "you don't need online
gaming when you can have this instead". *That* is the big difference
between the two and that's why no one's bashing Sony's take on
connectivity IMO.

Not to mention the fact that the GC/GBA connectivity was used in cases
where it was not needed: FF:CC and LOZ:FSA and prevented many of us from
truly enjoying these games.

Adnan

> --
> contact: rev9of8@hotmail.com
> "In your day you were slacking if you didn't get in a
> couple of genocides before breakfast."
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 8:45:16 PM

Adnan wrote:

> The Reverend Bob wrote:
> >
> > sardu penned this response in uk.games.video.gamecube to a possibly
> > pointless meandering on Wed, 07 Jul 2004 21:01:52 GMT:
> >
> > >They don't want "GBA Connectivity" either. But Nintendo seems to waste
> > >their time on it.
> >
> > And what have Sony been touting as one of the many revolutionary
> > features of the PSP? If you said connectivity then give yourself a
> > cookie.
> >
> > Of course, as further proof of how wantonly corrupt videogames
> > journalists are, the same ones who've been only to willing to kick
> > Nintendo for GC/GBA connectivity are cheering PS2/PSP connectivity.
>
> Well in the case of PS2/PSP connectivity it is not meant to be a
> replacemen or a substitute to online gaming. In Nintendo's case that was
> the case. Nintendo was basically telling people "you don't need online
> gaming when you can have this instead". *That* is the big difference
> between the two and that's why no one's bashing Sony's take on
> connectivity IMO.
>
> Not to mention the fact that the GC/GBA connectivity was used in cases
> where it was not needed: FF:CC and LOZ:FSA and prevented many of us from
> truly enjoying these games.
>
> Adnan

Besides correcting the many repetitions I did with the word "case" I
wanted to add (in extension to what I've already said) that I doubt Sony
would use the connectivity feature the same way Nintendo did.

Or even if they did, PS2 owners would always have the alternative of
going online instead. For instance, if games like FF:CC or LOZ:FSA were
online enabled as well as making use of the GC/GBA connectivity feature
(in other words, one can choose to play the game using *either* one of
these methods) I don't think the GC/GBA connectivity would be hated as
much because it wouldn't be perceived as an obstacle but as a bonus.

Adnan

> > --
> > contact: rev9of8@hotmail.com
> > "In your day you were slacking if you didn't get in a
> > couple of genocides before breakfast."
July 12, 2004 10:13:42 AM

"Delameko Stone" <dlux@REMOVEjslater.plus.com> wrote in message news:<YovHc.19361372$Of.3211520@news.easynews.com>...
> > Really; "Which doesn't explain why their games are vastly superior to
> > others."
> > Please, point out to me which games are "VASTLY SUPERIOR" to top PS2 and
> > XBox games.
>
> I think 'vastly' can't really be used, as the consoles are really so close
> that its futile to say (beyond gameplay considerations) that any game vastly
> is superior or inferior to another...
>
> I will say that Gamecube's hardware is equal if not slightly better than the
> X-Box, no matter what Microsoft say... They say games like Morrowind,
> Bloodwake or Halo can't be done elsewhere,

When they made those comments I don't think they were saying they
couldn't be done *graphically* elsewhere, I assumed they meant due to
the reliance on the harddrive (in Halo's sake) they couldn't be done
on other consoles.

> but Starfox Adventures surpasses
> them on the effects they cite as their selling points. Star Wars Rogue
> Leader still has the highest polygons per second count in at 15m. (I can go
> into more detail if necessary).

But polys aren't everything. Fifteen million polys aren't going to
improve texture quality, lighting, etc.

> I'm not dissing the x-box, I have an x-box, and love it, and like I say, the
> differences in hardware is really so small that it hardly matters. But
> Gamecube actually has a slight edge over the X-Box.

If the GC would ever release anything this year, then we could compare
the top games visually, but I've never seen anything on my GC that
looked as good a Ninja Gaiden.
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 2:21:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

> If the GC would ever release anything this year, then we could compare
> the top games visually, but I've never seen anything on my GC that
> looked as good a Ninja Gaiden.

Since I missed the hype for Ninja Gaiden, I didn't realise it was supposed
to be a graphical marvel until I read a few post release comments about it.

Given that the animation isn't that good, there's not a great deal of
characters on screen at one time and the backdrops are largely static, I'm
not sure I follow the hype around its graphics.

Couple that with the the seeming different lighting of the lead character -
he just seems to stick out from the surroundings... Maybe it's my TV...

Personally, I think there are technically and aesthetically better Xbox
games....

t.
      • 1
      • 2 / 2