Troubleshooting a Dell Inspiron wireless adaptor

J82

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
The wireless adaptor on my Dell Inspiron 6400 keeps dropping out every few minutes. It's fine when I click "Repair", but it's really irritating to have to do that every few minutes. Any suggestions? Would "clearing the cache" help? If so, please tell me how to do it?
Thanks! :)

G

With wireless I'd always suggest you first try to optimise reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.

J82

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Thanks for the advice. It was fine until recently, but nothing has changed in the location of the router or of my computer, or in the software on my computer. I haven't installed any new virus software or changed the firewall settings on what I already have, and the router hasn't moved - it's still in the next room about a foot off the ground. The problem isn't the signal - it's my laptop. The wifi receiver/adaptor light just switches off and the internet gets disconnected. Sometimes it's fine for a few hours, sometimes it disconnects every few minutes.
Does that give you any ideas? Thanks for your help!

TRENDING THREADS