Sign in with
Your question

Looking to buy a GTX 560ti but need some advise

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 9, 2011 4:11:24 PM

I'm looking into a GPU upgrade and the Nvidia GTX 560ti seems like a good one for the price. My problem lies with my current hardware. I built my comp back in 2009 so I know most of my hardware could use an upgrade but I'd like to start with the GPU. I would just like a few opinions as to whether or not I'll notice any difference in performance from buying just the GPU now or should I just wait until I can upgrade a few more pieces.

CPU: Intel E8500 3.16ghz Core 2 Duo
RAM: 4gb of Corsair DDR2 800mhz
GPU: EVGA GTX 285 standard edition
Power Supply: Corsair 750w
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
HDD: Western Digital 500g 7200rpm
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit

More about : buy gtx 560ti advise

a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2011 5:10:25 PM

I wouldn't consider the 560 a worthy upgrade from a gtx285, the 5850 is 10-15% better than a gtx285, and 560 is about on par with a 5850, so it's just not worth it.

If you're not satisfied with your performance for it to be a worthy upgrade you'd have to jump to a 6970 or gtx570 at least.

As to cpu bottleneck, it depends on your resolution, but overall it shouldn't be relevant, OCing would help too.

Look here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-graphic...
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
March 9, 2011 5:20:19 PM

Avoid Palit, Galaxy, Gainward, and Gigabyte due to cooling issues. MSI and EVGA are more or less the way to go also Asus is very good.
m
l
Related resources
a c 161 U Graphics card
March 9, 2011 5:22:50 PM

^+1 The CPU/RAM is a bit marginal for the higher end cards these days, but a 3 gig dual core and 4 gig of RAM is not bad at all.

If you are really itching for a video card upgrade, your system will at least be able to run any card with that 750 watt power supply, so even if you run into where your CPU won't allow the card to perform at it's best, you can just move the card to a new platform. Although then you are into the case where video card power goes up each year/ 6 months, so waiting till you can upgrade the whole thing at once is also a good option.

If you have patience to save and do a full platform upgrade, I'd do that. Rest easy knowing that the system you have now is not too far behind modern systems, and is better than many save the higher tier.
m
l
March 9, 2011 6:05:17 PM

Thanks for the advise guys. It's good to know my comp is still technically capable of staying on par with the modern rigs. This may belong in another thread, but I may as well ask it here too. The reason I'm looking to upgrade the GPU is cause of a crashing issue I've been having. I've been getting "black screens of death" lately. I thought I had narrowed it down to a GPU problem since it seemed the games that crashed were ones that were all GPU intensive (Bad Company 2, Starcraft2 etc.). But then games like CIV 4, WoW and even Minecraft started giving me troubles. I'm starting to assume it's infact not a GPU problem, but something else? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
m
l
a c 161 U Graphics card
March 9, 2011 6:13:09 PM

Check the event log in Windows, it may show you some application crashes. Although during a blue screen crash an event log may not be written.

If you can, do a Windows re-install, see if cleaning up some junk may help.
m
l
!