BIOS help

jmetz

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Thanks for any help you can give. I am unable to boot my son's hp P6210f as it goes to one screen and only occasionally shows hardware. I purchased the restore disks from HP and have tried to get that going but once the first disk starts loading the computer locks up with an I/O error. I am assuming this is due to the BIOS. Is there a way to reset the bios or re-flash the bios from a DOS Boot? Secondly where would I find the bios for this board? It is a Pegatron M2N78-LA by ASUS I believe and I can not find an original bios for it from HP or ASUS. Can you put me on track with this? Or recommend a new motherboard for this HP? It has been a good machine for me over the past two years, and now it is having this problem.

I have found a MB Specification at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c01421635&lc=en which included a connection for a jumper to reset the BIOS and one to reset the BIOS password. Can anyone tell me if we are talking about the same jumper? The only other jumper I can find is BIOS DEBUG which has 9 pins (no Jumper). If this is what I am looking for can anyone tell me which pins to jump?

Regards,
JohnMetzinger

phishyfeet

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
If there is no jump you can reset it by touching the 2 pins (that indicate reset - refer the the motherboard manual) with a flathead screwdriver. Hold it here making direct contact between the 2 pins for 10 secs or so.

Or you can remove the battery on the motherboard (the silver coin looking object) for 1 minute then put it back in. Both of those should reset the bios. If you need a jump you can goto an electronic store that has motherboards on display and just borrow a jumper off their display boards :p

jmetz

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Thanks everyone for your replies. I have been able to reset the BIOS with the password reset. Still has other issues though. I am unable to get past the I/O error during boot when trying to recover the system. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? Although I can get to the HP BIOS screen and work with the settings when system recovery is started and directed at my new CD/DVD ROM it errors out with the I/O and locks.

tyranthoth

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
When you say "directed at my new cd/dvd rom" do you mean you put in a new drive or the recover disk. If you have a new cd/dvd drive it may not be fully compatible with that bios verison or there maybe something wrong with the drive or cables or jumpers of that drive. Have you put anything else new on the system other than the dvd drive? If your talking about the recover disk, it wouldn't be the first time I got a bad recover disk. It happens I got at least one from every major computer company.

jmetz

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
The cd/dvd rom is exactly the same as the one that came out. I have also tried two hard drives with the recover on them and still cannot recover. any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.