Canon PowerShot A20 camera problem

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
February 25, 2005 3:33:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Found someone selling a Canon A20 digital camera that has a problem: it will
only operate with the AC adapter, not batteries. He says that Canon tells him
that this is a "semi-common" problem that crops up in older A20's. Sez Canon
will fix for $100. Not really worth it unless I can fix it myself.

Is anyone familiar with this fault and know what the cause is, and possibly a
fix?

Another forum that might be better to ask such a question?

Thanks,

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 7:20:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Hmm,
Don't know much about this particular model but I've met a lot of
people on vacation using a belt pack to power their digital cameras.
Richard
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 11:41:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

It may be the battery contacts where they are soldered or wired to the
circuit board. In many of these cameras, to service them, they change the
complete module or board, depending on the nature of the fault. Most of the
cost is the labour.

When Canon does a service job, they will check the complete camera for
calibration and operation. When you get it back, it will be calibrated, and
properly checked.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"DaveC" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
Found someone selling a Canon A20 digital camera that has a problem: it will
only operate with the AC adapter, not batteries. He says that Canon tells
him
that this is a "semi-common" problem that crops up in older A20's. Sez Canon
will fix for $100. Not really worth it unless I can fix it myself.

Is anyone familiar with this fault and know what the cause is, and possibly
fix?

Another forum that might be better to ask such a question?

Thanks,

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Related resources
February 26, 2005 3:12:28 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:41:29 -0800, Jerry G. wrote
(in article <38a386F55c17cU1@uni-berlin.de>):

> It may be the battery contacts where they are soldered or wired to the
> circuit board. In many of these cameras, to service them, they change the
> complete module or board, depending on the nature of the fault. Most of the
> cost is the labour.

Do digital cameras have micro fuses in the battery circuit?
Polarity-protection diodes? Something that might have burnt out if someone
installed batteries backward, for example.

Thanks,

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
February 27, 2005 1:40:37 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Any service information (manual, schematic, etc.) for any of the PowerShot
A-series would be very helpful.

Thanks,

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 10:12:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

You call canon and see if you get the same story and how much it's to fix.

"DaveC" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Found someone selling a Canon A20 digital camera that has a problem: it
will
> only operate with the AC adapter, not batteries. He says that Canon tells
him
> that this is a "semi-common" problem that crops up in older A20's. Sez
Canon
> will fix for $100. Not really worth it unless I can fix it myself.
>
> Is anyone familiar with this fault and know what the cause is, and
possibly a
> fix?
>
> Another forum that might be better to ask such a question?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn't
> ask a question here if I hadn't done that already.
>
> DaveC
> me@privacy.net
> This is an invalid return address
> Please reply in the news group

February 28, 2005 12:41:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:12:17 -0800, Jim Douglas wrote
(in article <E7mdnZKtjrhN8r_fRVn-oA@comcast.com>):

> You call canon and see if you get the same story and how much it's to fix.

And so I did. Repair estimates start at $100. Or "trade up" to an A70 for
$170 (which is about what they're selling at discount with no trade-in).

!